Elvish Interception - 1.15.7+ campaign by Lordlewis

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lordlewis

Elvish Interception - 1.15.7+ campaign by Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Elvish Interception - by Lordlewis
I was looking through the 1.15 add-on list about a month ago and I saw a lack of campaigns for that version, so I decided to make one myself and implement a bunch of new things included in this version. Currently there is not too much story implemented into the campaign, but there is a story that will be added in time. I am just working on the game play aspect at the moment, which at this moment is also incomplete. Some feedback on the 1-6th scenarios would be appreciated.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Elvish Interception - 1.15.7+ campaign by Lordlewis

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello,
I tried your WIP campaign:

Thoughts on first scenario:
  • Got my ass handed to me in the first scenario
  • Not enough gold to actually make any offensive jab at the first leader
  • The objectives state to defeat an enemy leader...but which one?
  • Can you make it like so that I can recruit like 9-10 units instead of 7-8? It would at least make it passable on the default difficulty.
  • Can I get Elven Acolytes/Scouts/Hunters as recruits too? Or, maybe even Elven Spearmen?
EI-Cera Port-Auto-Save15.gz
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I have made most of these adjustments but I'm waiting to finish and fix a few things before pushing an entire update and I aim to do that later today or tomorrow. I will probably post something here when I do. There is a scenario where you get scouts but I'm pretty sure I messed something up there. Elvish Acolytes and Spearman?
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I played through the first three scenarios and so far, I am positively impressed. Most strikingly, the maps are beautifully made and really fun to play on - something that few maps in mainline and add-ons achieve. I also like that your campaign starts with few unit types as recruits/enemies and expands from there.

As for balance, it wastes absolutely no time to punch the player in the face... It took me about three runs to complete the first scenario without save-scumming.
The other two scenarios were easier due to recalls, and thus went smoothly. One thing that did annoy me was the tomato surprise in scenario 03, where cavalry spawned near my units after capturing 16,6.

Some bugs I found:
1. Some team colors are faulty, since there exists no "blackbrown" or "blackblue"
2. The player cannot recruit mounted units after taking 16,6 in 03. I recommend to look how HttT does it in 02.
3. Your add-on contains images from the core. It would be more compact if you referenced them directly.

And at last, the replays :D
EI-Cera Port replay.gz
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
EI-Scarred Forest replay.gz
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
EI-False Hope replay.gz
(27.05 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has submitted some feedback to my campaign this far. I will probably make some more adjustments to the difficulty to certain levels, mainly the first one. I have released an updated version to add-on server that contains minor bug fixes and map changes as well as scenario 8 and 9 being fully functional (I hope).
MoonyDragon wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:18 pmSome bugs I found:
1. Some team colors are faulty, since there exists no "blackbrown" or "blackblue"
2. The player cannot recruit mounted units after taking 16,6 in 03. I recommend to look how HttT does it in 02.
3. Your add-on contains images from the core. It would be more compact if you referenced them directly.
1. This might be an issue with an older version of Wesnoth, not entirely sure but the colors still worked in the replay, but I'll continue to test and look into it.
2. Originally you could, but I messed up something just before I uploaded the version that allowed Aelil to recruit. Aelil used to be able to recruit Elvish Scouts, but I fixed it, but then Alulas couldn't. This should all be fixed now.
3. I'll look into it, probably something I should do very soon.
MoonyDragon wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:18 pmMost strikingly, the maps are beautifully made and really fun to play on
Thanks, personally I find being able to move in the way you want and set up your units the way you want to be crucial to having fun on a map but without getting a massive advantage. One reason why I made the campaign was to learn how to make scenario levels as I knew how to make good looking maps already and was alright at making multiplayer maps.

Also, when playing this new version of the game you may or may not have to restart from the very beginning as some stuff wont function properly, such as not being able to recall special units which I wont spoil. Enjoy, I will hopefully have more scenarios by the next time I upload an update. :D
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!