"Alert" unit immune to backstab

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Helmet

"Alert" unit immune to backstab

Post by Helmet »

I need a Saurian Ambusher named Smekk to be immune to backstab. I thought I should make a trait called "alert" to bestow an immunity to backstab...but is such a thing even possible? Or do I need an event? An ability?

How would you code it? By the way, it's just one scenario and one unit, so the solution needn't be versatile.

The trait:

Code: Select all

#define TRAIT_ALERT
	[trait]
		id=alert
        	male_name= _ "alert"
        	female_name= _ "female^alert"	
        	description="Immune to backstab"
        	[effect]
        		apply_to=status
        		add=unbackstabbable #    I know there's no such thing     		       
        	[/effect]      
    	[/trait]
#enddef
The event:

[event]
	name=attack
	first_time_only=no
		[filter_attack]
			special=backstab
		[/filter_attack]
		[filter_second]
			ability=alert
		[/filter_second]
		[modify_unit]
			[filter]
				id=Smekk
			[/filter]       
			???
		[/modify_unit]
[/event]
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: "Alert" unit immune to backstab

Post by beetlenaut »

I think this is a case where you have to give an object to all the OTHER units in the scenario that modifies their ability when your alert unit is involved. (Use a "unit placed" event.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

beetlenaut wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:16 pm I think this is a case where you have to give an object to all the OTHER units in the scenario that modifies their ability when your alert unit is involved. (Use a "unit placed" event.)
All the units with backstab must be recruited or recalled to appear on the map, so unit_placed seems promising.

I'm not sure how to modify backstab to exclude Smekk, though.

So...there's no way to filter attacks against Smekk? Something like...

name=attack
[filter]
	id=Smekk
[/filter]
[if]
 ?
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The way to do this is to create your own backstab ability that excludes Smekk, and then replace every backstab ability in the game with that one.

Insert the not-Smekk condition to backstab:

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_BACKSTAB_CUSTOM
    # Canned definition of the Backstab ability to be included in a
    # [specials] clause.
    [damage]
        id=backstab
        name= _ "backstab"
        description= _ "When used offensively, this attack deals double damage if there is an enemy of the target on the opposite side of the target, and that unit is not incapacitated (turned to stone or otherwise paralyzed)."
        multiply=2
        active_on=offense
        [filter_opponent]
            formula="
                enemy_of(self, flanker) and not flanker.petrified
            where
                flanker = unit_at(direction_from(loc, other.facing))
            "
            # ADDED LINES:
            [not]
                id=Smekk
            [/not]
            # ADDED end
        [/filter_opponent]
    [/damage]
#enddef
And to make the switch for this everywhere:

# event in some toplevel place so it gets included to every scenario

[event]
    name=unit placed
    id=backstab_switcher
    first_time_only=no
    [filter]
        [has_attack]
            special=backstab
            # if you're on 1.15.x (idk which), it's 'special_id' and not 'special'
        [/has_attack]
    [/filter]

[object]
        id=backstab_customizer
        [filter]
            id=$unit.id
        [/filter]
        [effect]
            apply_to=attack
            special(_id)=backstab

remove_specials=backstab
            [set_specials]
                mode=append
                {WEAPON_SPECIAL_BACKSTAB_CUSTOM}
            [/set_specials]
        [/effect]
    [/object]
[/event]
EDIT:
And if you want to make it general with the 'Alert' ability, then make a [dummy] Alert ability, and in your modified backstab ability, use ability=alert_dummy instead of id=Smekk.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Thanks, WhiteWolf! I tested the code with recruited units and it works some of the time, but most of the time the units can still backstab. I'm not 100% sure what the pattern is. Preliminary tests indicate that a unit may not backstab when it counter-attacks, and may not backstab when it's already in position for a backstab and doesn't need to move. But if a unit moves into position for a backstab, the backstab usually works.

At least the code works some of the time, which is great. That means the solution works; it just needs a little refining.

I'm on 1.15.7, so I used special_id=backstab.

The units with backstab are custom units, but I don't think that would cause a problem. They're nothing unusual, apart from backstab.

As Smekk only appears in scenario 3, I only put the event in scenario 3, just after start.

[scenario]
	[prestart]
	[/prestart]
	[start]
	[/start]
	>>>			YOUR CODE HERE
[/scenario]
Author of:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Backstab only works on offense, so counter-attacking units don't get backstab even from the vanilla special. So it sounds like it doesn't work at all.
I'm not sure if it's the source of all the problems, but I did make a mistake, the id of the modified backstab special should be unique.

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_BACKSTAB_CUSTOM
    # Canned definition of the Backstab ability to be included in a
    # [specials] clause.
    [damage]
        id=backstab # problem here -> rename to backstab_custom or sth like that
Could try fixing this first.
You could also open the inspection window for a recruited unit and check that the object has been correctly applied (or not...?). I'm just guessing now, but maybe I can test the thing tomorrow.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

That didn't work completely...but progress was made. Now (it seems) the first unit recruited gets the object, and the rest don't. So it seems to work for one unit. Hmm.
Author of:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Helmet wrote: December 15th, 2020, 1:01 am Now (it seems) the first unit recruited gets the object, and the rest don't.
wiki wrote:By default, an object with a defined ID can only be picked up once per scenario, even if it is removed later or first_time_only=no is set for the event. You can remove this restriction by setting take_only_once=no.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

That did it! Thanks!
Author of:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

WhiteWolf wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:59 pm EDIT:
And if you want to make it general with the 'Alert' ability, then make a [dummy] Alert ability, and in your modified backstab ability, use ability=alert_dummy instead of id=Smekk.
Personally I prefer to use my own tag for custom abilities, rather than [dummy]. You can use any tag as an ability, and if it's not an ability recognized by the engine, it will just have no effect other than showing in the sidebar.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 20th, 2020, 8:48 pm You can use any tag as an ability, and if it's not an ability recognized by the engine, it will just have no effect other than showing in the sidebar.
Hmm, I'm aware of that, but is there any advantage to actually doing that? My reason for not doing so is that the id identifies everything anyway, and by using [dummy] for everything, when I just open up old code, and see [dummy], I immediately know - yes, this is an event-implemented ability. If I called it its name, I'd have to think for an extra second if it's an engine-supported tag or a custom name. :D
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

There can be advantages. When filtering, you can reference an ability either by tag or by ID. For example, if you had a group of related abilities, you could give them the same tag but a different ID.

I guess that probably doesn't apply to this specific case, but it's something to be aware of, at least.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

if you use 1.15.7 then you could make an alert abilities without customi backstab

#define ABILITY_SPECIAL_ALERT
    #  to be included in a [abilities] clause.
    [damage]
        id=alert
        name= _ "alert"
        female_name= _ "female^alert"
        description= _ "Immune to backstab"
        divide=2
        cumulative=no
        active_on=defense
        apply_to=opponent
        affect_self=yes
        [filter_opponent]
            [filter_weapon]
                special_id_active=backstab
            [/filter_weapon]
        [/filter_opponent]
    [/damage]
#enddef
the divide by 2 applied to opponent cancel the multiply=2 of backstab without use a customised backstab or [event]
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

newfrenchy83 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:44 pm if you use 1.15.7 then you could make an alert abilities without customi backstab...
A brand new feature? Cool! I'm using 1.15.8 because I like brand new features. Thank you.

Early on, I had tried to think of a way to counteract the doubling of damage through division, but my limited knowledge of WML didn't allow me progress the idea beyond the conceptual stage.
Author of:
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

newfrenchy83 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:44 pm if you use 1.15.7 then you could make an alert abilities without customi backstab...
the divide by 2 applied to opponent cancel the multiply=2 of backstab without use a customised backstab or [event]
The code works great...except for one tiny little thing.

In the Attack Enemy window, the word "backstab" is not grayed-out when a unit that can backstab tries to backstab an Alert unit. Yes, the damage displayed remains the normal damage, and the Alert unit only takes normal damage, but since "backstab" is not grayed-out, a player might assume damage will be doubled anyway.

Is there a way to gray-out the word backstab in the Attack Enemy window?

I'm thinking...no. The way the Alert ability works is to permit the damage to be doubled, then divide it in half. So...in a sense, a unit is still being backstabbed, but for half damage. Nonetheless, I thought I should ask.

Thanks.
Author of: