[event] name=capture,die

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Helmet

[event] name=capture,die

Post by Helmet »

In Secrets of the Ancients, scenario 8, an event has a name key and two values separated by a comma: name=capture,die.

When I saw it, I thought...wow. TWO values? That's pretty cool.

Have you ever done something like this -- that is, use two or more values in an event? What did your event do? Do you know any other scenarios that have done this?

One of the goals of my campaign is to pack it with nifty examples of code, that way it will be my own personal reference manual. I'm trying to think of a way to utilize this nifty feature in my campaign. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
vghetto

Re: [event] name=capture,die

Post by vghetto »

You'll find many examples of it in the mainline campaigns. Another common one is name=recruit,recall or name=sighted,moveto and the ones that trigger at specific turns like name=turn 4,turn 8,turn 12 or on sides turn name=side 2 turn refresh,side 3 turn refresh
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

vghetto wrote: December 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm You'll find many examples of it in the mainline campaigns. Another common one is name=recruit,recall or name=sighted,moveto and the ones that trigger at specific turns like name=turn 4,turn 8,turn 12 or on sides turn name=side 2 turn refresh,side 3 turn refresh
I guess I've been overlooking that detail when checking-out mainline code, until now.

Those are extremely useful examples, vghetto. Thanks
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

On the first sight's it's an easy way to write one event instead of two.

But the special part is that it will fire only once – so it offers a way for dialogues, which should fire in one of the two cases, but not twice.
Try out the dark board theme.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Shiki wrote: December 7th, 2020, 10:12 am On the first sight's it's an easy way to write one event instead of two.

But the special part is that it will fire only once – so it offers a way for dialogues, which should fire in one of the two cases, but not twice.
That sounds extremely useful, but I'm having a difficult time imagining how to do it. Would you post a code snippet?
Author of:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Helmet wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm Would you post a code snippet?
An orc leader gets mad the first time a miss happens in combat, by either combatant on any side.

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=attacker misses, defender misses

[message]
        speaker=ORC
        message= _ "Ha, you know nothing about combat, neither of you! You don't know how to hit each other? Arr, this is not a fight you're doing! I'll show you how a fight is done once I get there! *incomprehensible orc noises*"
    [/message]
[/event]
For example :D
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

WhiteWolf wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:56 pm For example :D
Ah! Thank you.
Author of: