Assert fail

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
rebhuhn

Re: Assert fail

Post by rebhuhn »

I meant that I started wesnoth through the debugger, then started the campaign at the beginning, so I had played all the scenarios up to that point in this one debugging session. As I'm guessing there's something with memory going on here, it probably is relevant that I'd been playing for a while.

I did not press ignore, I pressed break to try and get any information I could on the fault. Looking at the code though, I don't think there is anyway I could have continued with the Create Renderer having failed, everything depends on having the renderer.

I reloaded the savefile and was able to play on and into the next scenario without tripping any asserts.

Seems to happen only after playing for a while, not reproducible from save files and I have seen the occasional issue with redrawing screens. Seems it's got to be either memory related or something different with the gpu? This is a pretty new machine, March 2019. Task Manager doesn't show a memory problem. Maybe a memory overwrite that is causing a problem later? Anyway, I'll keep going and see what I trip next.

The one other thing i do see is a whole lot of the exceptions though:

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFF50DFA859 in wesnoth.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::invalid_argument at memory location 0x000000BC50CFC720.

By a whole lot, I mean several hundred thousand. When sitting in the debugger, this is just constantly tripping in the output window.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If you start wesnoth with the argument --max-fps 1, does the rate of the exceptions being printed decrease?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
rebhuhn

Post by rebhuhn »

No.

Done for the night now, but can try more tomorrow if you have any other suggestions
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi,

I was going to post a new thread, but looks like there is already one here.

I have a different assertion error, it might be relevant. I was playing SX Castle of Cantar and the game crashes because of this. Please find the error message and a save of the game attached.

The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.11
Running on Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0.18363)
Distribution channel: SourceForge

Game paths
==========

Data dir: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.11
User config dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
User data dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
Saves dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\saves
Add-ons dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons
Cache dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\cache

Libraries
=========

Boost: 1.59
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 1.1.0f (runtime 1.1.0f)
Cairo: 1.10.2 (runtime 1.10.2)
Pango: 1.30.1 (runtime 1.30.1)
SDL: 2.0.4 (runtime 2.0.4)
SDL_image: 2.0.0 (runtime 2.0.0)
SDL_mixer: 2.0.0 (runtime 2.0.0)
SDL_ttf: 2.0.12 (runtime 2.0.12)

Features
========

JPEG screenshots: no
Lua console completion: yes
Legacy bidirectional rendering: no
Win32 notifications back-end: yes
Attachments
SXRPG CastleOfCantar-Auto-Save1.gz
(413.37 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Wesnoth error.png
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

rebhuhn wrote: April 12th, 2020, 3:47 am I meant that I started wesnoth through the debugger, then started the campaign at the beginning, so I had played all the scenarios up to that point in this one debugging session. As I'm guessing there's something with memory going on here, it probably is relevant that I'd been playing for a while.

I did not press ignore, I pressed break to try and get any information I could on the fault. Looking at the code though, I don't think there is anyway I could have continued with the Create Renderer having failed, everything depends on having the renderer.

I reloaded the savefile and was able to play on and into the next scenario without tripping any asserts.

Seems to happen only after playing for a while, not reproducible from save files and I have seen the occasional issue with redrawing screens. Seems it's got to be either memory related or something different with the gpu? This is a pretty new machine, March 2019. Task Manager doesn't show a memory problem. Maybe a memory overwrite that is causing a problem later? Anyway, I'll keep going and see what I trip next.
'I suggest hat you just keep playing with this patch https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... 23e561fddb applied then hoping for more information from SDL_GetError
rebhuhn wrote: April 12th, 2020, 3:47 am The one other thing i do see is a whole lot of the exceptions though:

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFF50DFA859 in wesnoth.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::invalid_argument at memory location 0x000000BC50CFC720.

By a whole lot, I mean several hundred thousand. When sitting in the debugger, this is just constantly tripping in the output window.
Hmm well this is unrelated to the other issue, but of course you can also file a bureport in the issuetracker about these.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

TheChosenOne wrote: April 12th, 2020, 11:36 am Hi,

I have a different assertion error, it might be relevant. I was playing SX Castle of Cantar and the game crashes because of this. Please find the error message and a save of the game attached.
Which add-on is this from? I found SXC, but Castle of Cantar isn't part of it.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:45 pm

SX RPG Addon by Mabuse.

I found another assertion error today, this time it happened when I clicked the Logout button in the lobby:
Attachments
Wesnoth error 2.png
---Konrad III

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

TheChosenOne wrote: April 13th, 2020, 12:36 am

SX RPG Addon by Mabuse.

I found another assertion error today, this time it happened when I clicked the Logout button in the lobby:
In both cases, how long had you been playing when the assert happened?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

@TheChosenOne please also post the stderr output stored in the logfile
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

gfgtdf wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:22 am @TheChosenOne please also post the stderr output stored in the logfile
How do I get this?
---Konrad III

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

in your uderdata directory ( C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14) there shodul be logs logs filder, the names of the include a date you you have to find the one that matches to the wesntoh instance where you got the crash and upload its contents.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Also the Windows section here describes how to find the logs.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 13th, 2020, 12:56 am
TheChosenOne wrote: April 13th, 2020, 12:36 am

SX RPG Addon by Mabuse.

In both cases, how long had you been playing when the assert happened?
All the errors occur after sometime of playing (>15 minutes). It never occurs any sooner.

There were several logs that day, but I think this must be it as the file size is much bigger than the rest.

I am unable to attach it (it is 5.2MB and the forum says it exceeds the max limit). I am attaching a smaller file that also has error logs of that day, hopefully it will be helpful.

EDIT: Even 1.7MB is too large? Just what is the limit of attachments? How do I get any of these files to you?
---Konrad III

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Zipping the file should decrease its size significantly, though the size limit should also be large enough already (8 MB) so it's odd you're getting that error message.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Zipping and attempting to attach does not work, it still gives an error due to the file size being too large. Can you try attaching a log to see if it works?
---Konrad III