Stuck on Descent into Darkness-Orc War

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bardagh

Stuck on Descent into Darkness-Orc War

Post by Bardagh »

[Edit:] Update! I managed to beat Orc War, but still want general advice for both playing undead (single player) and specifically tips for Descent into Darkness. Once I beat it on medium I plan to try it on hard.

[Original post:] The walkthrough is outdated, and the "how to play undead" wiki article is fairly limited (for example it doesn't cover units past level 1 in any depth). Any tips?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Stuck on Descent into Darkness-Orc War

Post by Konrad2 »

There is not much I can tell you beyond using Ghouls defensively, or that Ghosts can absorb damage nicely. Dark Adepts are of course useful to dish out a lot of damage fast. And Skeletons at night deal a lot of damage as well. Always check which enemy unit can move up to where and bait them?
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

I've been building a super-Ghast (Gogmagog). He's up to +15ish max HP :p
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Bardagh wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:04 pm I've been building a super-Ghast (Gogmagog). He's up to +15ish max HP :p
Drogans Ghast can receive AMLAs.
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

Konrad2 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:05 pm
Bardagh wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:04 pm I've been building a super-Ghast (Gogmagog). He's up to +15ish max HP :p
Drogans Ghast can receive AMLAs.
Seems like a waste though. What is it, 150ish XP for 3 HP and a full-heal? I just feed them level 0's and 1's and let other troops get the serious XP. Ghasts get a lot more out of low level kills than from XP advancement.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

100-900 xp for improved resistances or improved damage or an ability (for example something that heals him or deals damage to surrounding enemies). It only went up to 852 xp for the last special improvement.
Do note though, that this was before the last rebalancing of DiD (which might actually come out only once 1.15.3 is released).

(Yes, I should have said that he can receive 'special' AMLA instead of just AMLA.)

(I ended my DiD run with 120+ hp on my Drogan Ghast.)
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

Konrad2 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:52 pm 100-900 xp for improved resistances or improved damage or an ability (for example something that heals him or deals damage to surrounding enemies). It only went up to 852 xp for the last special improvement.
Do note though, that this was before the last rebalancing of DiD (which might actually come out only once 1.15.3 is released).

(Yes, I should have said that he can receive 'special' AMLA instead of just AMLA.)

(I ended my DiD run with 120+ hp on my Drogan Ghast.)
Good to know, thank you - I hadn't gotten that far yet. If I go through again I guess I'll feed the XP to wraiths or something and wait for Herr Über-ghast to build Gogmagog.

DiD is being rebalanced again, or the current rebalance isn't finished? When does 1.15.3 come out?
[Edit:] I looked it up, if I'm reading right 1.15.3 was scheduled for a December beta release; I can't find anything more than that though (source: viewtopic.php?t=50982)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Currently 1.15.3 is scheduled for Sunday, March 8th, 00:00 UTC.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

Pentarctagon wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:21 am Currently 1.15.3 is scheduled for Sunday, March 8th, 00:00 UTC.
I'm new to the forums/community, though I've been playing on and off for years; could you direct me to the proper links for the DiD rebalance and 1.15.3 changes please?

Much appreciated <3
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The changelog so far for the next development release can be found at https://changelog.wesnoth.org. The changelog so far for the next stable release can then be found by changing the "Branch: master" dropdown to "Branch: 1.14".

As far as the DiD rebalance, I'm not sure. nemaara here on the forums aka Yumi on Discord implemented that though, so she would be the person to ask about the details of that.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

How stable are the dev releases typically?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

There are usually no gamebreaking bugs, but it is usually the place to make huge changes, so you might play campaign and then it is changed the next release (usually just some small details, but it might have a big rework as well). And there often a couple small bugs or maybe new typos. Which you could/should report when you find any.
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

I think I might start writing new walkthroughs for some of this stuff, but I'm not a good enough player to do it real justice. Who might I work with to do a better job?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Pretty much all you can do is ask for volunteers in the discord server. :/
Bardagh

Post by Bardagh »

Pentarctagon wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:48 am The changelog so far for the next development release can be found at https://changelog.wesnoth.org. The changelog so far for the next stable release can then be found by changing the "Branch: master" dropdown to "Branch: 1.14".

As far as the DiD rebalance, I'm not sure. nemaara here on the forums aka Yumi on Discord implemented that though, so she would be the person to ask about the details of that.
When is 1.15.2 likely to be released as stable? I'm really looking forward to the balance changes & SP campaign overhauls but can't easily get the dev release on my OS.