Reworking/Revising The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

nemaara
Discord Moderator

Re: Reworking/Revising The Sceptre of Fire

Post by nemaara »

About the units vs. items thing, sure. I like the idea of a Thursagan "Rune Shop", that's a really nice way to do it.

S5/6, okay about the map size. S3, you have a point. I would still make it a liiiiittle smaller, but if you don't want to that's okay.

S1 and S4, I could work on balancing them a little better to be more in line with what I have in mind (as long as you think it's okay). It's not that the spread needs to be bigger, but especially for S1, I didn't like the vast abundance of enemies. Besides being "too much" for a first scenario (to me), it also made the second scenario a bit weird, since I had a lot of L2s and even L3s to just hold the gate super easily and just muscle through the trolls.

As for the actual map of S1, I really liked what you did with moving the castles and making a proper flanking force. ^_^

doofus-01
Art Contributor

Post by doofus-01 »

nemaara wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:31 am
About the units vs. items thing, sure. I like the idea of a Thursagan "Rune Shop", that's a really nice way to do it.

S5/6, okay about the map size. S3, you have a point. I would still make it a liiiiittle smaller, but if you don't want to that's okay.

S1 and S4, I could work on balancing them a little better to be more in line with what I have in mind (as long as you think it's okay). It's not that the spread needs to be bigger, but especially for S1, I didn't like the vast abundance of enemies. Besides being "too much" for a first scenario (to me), it also made the second scenario a bit weird, since I had a lot of L2s and even L3s to just hold the gate super easily and just muscle through the trolls.

As for the actual map of S1, I really liked what you did with moving the castles and making a proper flanking force. ^_^
Thanks, no problem if you want to make revisions too, I'll keep an eye out to test them. Regarding S1 balance, that sounds pretty important, I might have just gotten sick of testing that scenario and didn't get it right. The only thing to keep in mind is that the elves are supposed to be an overpowering force, closing in and squeezing the dwarves into the situations they find themselves. Making the elves weaker and defeat-able would ruin that.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

nemaara
Discord Moderator

Post by nemaara »

Alright, I pushed a commit modifying the gameplay a little bit. Please feel free to test to see if you like it. I reduced the elven reinforcement gold quite a bit (opting to give them a larger income instead) and modified the map somewhat as well.

doofus-01
Art Contributor

Post by doofus-01 »

nemaara wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:23 am
Alright, I pushed a commit modifying the gameplay a little bit. Please feel free to test to see if you like it. I reduced the elven reinforcement gold quite a bit (opting to give them a larger income instead) and modified the map somewhat as well.
I tested it, and found that the scenario was basically over by turn 6, with minimal engagement, and it was just a matter of moving the caravans the last stretch. I guess we have different playing styles, and since we can't assume the player will do what either of us would do (and won't replay 30 times to find out what the "right style" is), maybe pressure needs to come from something else. Some threatening fauna, or an elf-instigated avalanche?

Or maybe moving the secondary elf leader further in, so there is a battle at the "mountain pass" region in the upper right, without crap mobility or slow caravans being such an annoyance. :hmm:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |

nemaara
Discord Moderator

Post by nemaara »

I remember the scenario being like that prior to my commits (I seem to recall thinking that maybe you wanted it to be a bit easier as a starting scenario, which was okay with me), but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I guess to put more pressure on the player, I'd probably move the main elvish castle a bit closer to the road, or we could have them start with a couple riders. Threatening fauna/avalanche would also be okay, but might be a bit much for a first scenario. :hmm:

I don't have time right now, but when I'm a little more free, I'll try one of the above (unless you get to it first) and see how they work out.

doofus-01
Art Contributor

Post by doofus-01 »

nemaara wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:48 am
I remember the scenario being like that prior to my commits (I seem to recall thinking that maybe you wanted it to be a bit easier as a starting scenario, which was okay with me), but maybe I'm remembering wrong.
The general trend was there, but it's gotten more so now. Could be the map just needs a complete overhaul; I'd tried to take a "light touch" with revisions, and I do remember liking this scenario way back when I first played it because it was one of the first I'd seen that wasn't just a matter of killing the enemy leader. But that was long ago, it's hard to know what a new player expects these days. The issue with the tedious caravan march up the mountain pass is due to the map design, it will be much easier to scrap the map than to tailor the AI.
nemaara wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:48 am
Threatening fauna/avalanche would also be okay, but might be a bit much for a first scenario.
Might be, but there's also something to be said for a strong opening. The second scenario has the custom gate graphics, it wouldn't be that crazy to have something in the first too.

I don't know what the timeline is for 1.16, but I believe we have plenty of time to work this out.