tips to install Wesnoth 1.12.6 on MX Linux 19

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michaelbr

tips to install Wesnoth 1.12.6 on MX Linux 19

Post by michaelbr »

Migrated recently from Ubuntu to MX Linux 19, in Ubuntu I could install Wesnoth 1.12.6 unfortunately in MX there's only 1.14.5, MX 19 is based on Debian 10.1 and from Debian site, it lists a bunch of dependent packages, when using Ubuntu, I don't recall that I had to install all of those packages, besides I'm not that familiar with Linux, so which of those packages are required to run Wesnoth? and in which order should I install it (to avoid dependency errors)? And what's the difference between wesnoth 1:1.12.6-1+deb9u1 and wesnoth-1.12 1:1.12.6-1+deb9u1?
Last edited by michaelbr on December 31st, 2019, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for your comment/suggestion.
Michael
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: tips to install Wesnoth 1.12.6 on MX Linux 19

Post by Pentarctagon »

Does MX Linux's package manager not install required dependencies automatically?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Note that installing packages from older versions of Debian is not really a supported practice, I'm not sure if it will actually work.

If you really want version 1.12, I would probably recommend compiling it from source instead, and then running it directly from the compilation directory. That way you won't have to install any unsupported packages on your system.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Pentarctagon wrote: December 31st, 2019, 2:02 pm Does MX Linux's package manager not install required dependencies automatically?
MX package manager has only 1.14.5 version.
Michael
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

gnombat wrote: December 31st, 2019, 2:28 pm If you really want version 1.12, I would probably recommend compiling it from source instead, and then running it directly from the compilation directory. That way you won't have to install any unsupported packages on your system.
That's what I was afraid, I'm not that familiar with MX or Linux, and many campaigns are not ported yet to newer version.
Michael
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

michaelbr wrote: December 31st, 2019, 7:55 pm That's what I was afraid, I'm not that familiar with MX or Linux, and many campaigns are not ported yet to newer version.
If you want to try compiling it, it's not for the faint of heart, but there are instructions here:

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/CompilingWesnoth

Basically you can start from the part which says "Linux Tips to Easily Gather Dependencies" and try running the commands to install compilation dependencies. Actually the command sudo apt build-dep wesnoth-1.12 will probably not work on your system because it does not have version 1.12, but you can probably use sudo apt build-dep wesnoth-1.14 and that will accomplish almost the same thing. You can then move on to the "Compiling" section and follow the instructions there; that will either compile the program or it will tell you what other dependencies you need to install before you can compile.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

gnombat wrote: December 31st, 2019, 11:56 pm If you want to try compiling it, it's not for the faint of heart, but there are instructions here:

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/CompilingWesnoth

Basically you can start from the part which says "Linux Tips to Easily Gather Dependencies" and try running the commands to install compilation dependencies. Actually the command sudo apt build-dep wesnoth-1.12 will probably not work on your system because it does not have version 1.12, but you can probably use sudo apt build-dep wesnoth-1.14 and that will accomplish almost the same thing. You can then move on to the "Compiling" section and follow the instructions there; that will either compile the program or it will tell you what other dependencies you need to install before you can compile.
Thanks so much for your tips gnombat, I'll give it a try, even if it didn't work, I'll learn something new. I'll post back my findings, it might take a while since it's a learning process.
Michael