Anyone still playing Wesnoth?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: Anyone still playing Wesnoth?

Post by max_torch »

Not playing but I lurk in the forums, waiting until I have time to play it again.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Same for me. On a side project right now, but I still have a Wesnoth add-on to finish creating and two or three campaigns to finish playing.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I play it every once in a while, but only solo player because I don't have time for multiplayer.

I think you are not correct if you think that nothings happens; there IS quite some activity, also on
github etc... not everything is easily visible.

One day I may create an add-on too, if time permits ... but it will be a bit different from the other campaigns
in that it has to be story-driven first (it would be integrated into an already existing game world that my old
RPG group used for ... almost 30 years at this point. Time goes by ...)

On a side note, perhaps there could be some online counter or so to also display, on the website, how
many people are playing the multiplayer version. Since PHP is already in use, perhaps a simple counter
could be added? It does not have to be updated every second, just show it once every 5 minutes or
so.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Yes, I agree with a lot of points reported in the first post.
And that counter to see how many players are online is a great idea, so ppl would know and say something like "Oh there are a lot of players online right now, good to know, better to log in now, to have more chances to play with someone".
Plus it could be usefull for a statistical purposes.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Not quite as user friendly, but there is technically this (username=guest, leave the password blank).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Not quite as user friendly, but there is technically this (username=guest, leave the password blank).
Wow, thanks, I had no idea that this existed, it should be more advertised, I wish I knew this time ago.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

BernalTurado wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 7:48 am There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity here.

I think this is a highly underrated game. I am not playing it right now but I did years ago and in my experience it has much more to offer than all those Android/Google Play mobile games - several of which I have been trying for months but all the nice graphics notwithstanding, they can't compete with a game like Wesnoth. For one thing, Wesnoth does not give me the feeling I have to toil away and grind, grind, grind all day long like a slave to get my points count up and attain yet another new level. Not to mention the in-game purchases you are expected to engage in as, if you don't, your game play will be comparatively severely restricted, being reduced to the grinding I was mentioning.

These were just a few thoughts... feel free to add or refute, as you wish.
The user was actually a spambot, so I banned it. The initial post was copied from https://www.reddit.com/r/wesnoth/commen ... g_wesnoth/ and had some tiny spam links edited into it a month later.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)