a funny dialect: request for comments

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

a funny dialect: request for comments

Post by denispir »

Hello, I am presently revamping a short campaign originally written by Elven. My native language is not english (french), Elven's neither (slovakian I guess). I have written a new prelude piece of story, plus a few lines of a new initial scenario (to be completed). An interesting point, also for you maybe, is that people in this campaign "speak their own ways": you will learn why below.

They do not speak the wesnothian dialect, which is represented by ordinary language (english or others in translations) in our texts. Thus, people of this campaign speak another, funny dialect. I would like comments, critics, suggestions about that:
  • Both about the dialect's style (what effect it makes) and its difficulty to understand by you (it sould be a little difficult).
  • Both by english native speakers and other (say what your mother tongue is, please).
(The latter also because translations, their sheer existence, completude, and quality, are hazardous at best, so that many end up playing in english.)
I prefere to have comments early because it is hard and long work for me (as you may guess), so that I don't want to spoil much time on wrong efforts. Also, the dialect should use words funnily as well, which I cannot do for not being a native speaker (I will probably write the french version myself, fun time coming ;-)). I will certainly, in any case, need help to make the texts better english (of whatever dialect).

A last word: Ellaku is the heroin, a young human woman. She is supposed to speak quite weirdly, also for people of her own folk.This, because of her terrible, tragic, past history. I don't tell you more (you'll know when playing ;-)) because I am also interested in knowing what you feel, both in yourself and about her, when reaidng her words. Please, tell me...
prelude text
Narrator:
Where this story happens, is deep in the heart of our continent, you view? Not in Wesnoth. Not outside Wesnoth reach; unfortunately. Here, or over there, people, people of all races, people think their own ways, live their own ways, talk their own ways. Talk their own ways.

If you not know KurLan, then you not know KurLan. KurLan is the region south of wonder Lintanir Forest. KorLaan is that lovely area, hilly valley mountainous, on both sides of the Great River, also bordered by River Listra, into which those many jolly torrents flow from mountain flanks.

KurLan means heart-land: indeed KurLan is the core of the continent. Still one more name of Troll origin: KürLaan. Humans call it KirLan. They cannot say "ü", no more than elves; orcs can.

~~~~~~~

Ellaku:
I was then young. I mean, I was very young. I was happy. I was free. I was nature. I mean, /we/ were both nature, free, happy. My brother is Zorrumi. My twin brother is Zorrumi. I mean, my twin brother /was/ Zorrumi.
Zorrumi lives in me. Zorrumi lives with me. Zorrumi lives for me. I think of him all the time. I think of him every night.

Then... then I met death: Ankuw, near the river. We, I mean Zorrumi and I, we were seven springs old. I think of Zorrumi so fine so well so true.

~~~~~~~

In ancient times that trolls or elves still tell, lived mostly trolls here in KurLan. Some dwarves in their caves; wandering elves from Lintanir; few humans, around valleys and river banks; also orcs & goblin. Yes; whatever the official Wesnoth history says; there were humans, and orcs & goblin, on the continent before, everywhere in fact. You view? Wesnoth lords are invaders and destroyers: they view not what they invade and destroy. What they want view, they view.

Today, things have changed; in the year 555 for humans of Wesnoth, folks are different. Thousands and thousands of orcs & goblins arrived in whole troops; they not are like our own orc clans: they are aggressive, arrogant, and warlike. Trolls, our dear wander trolls, not are many nowadays; some have died, some have left toward the volcan mountains of MonRus, MöönRus as trolls say. Dwarves disappeared: this is another story, just wait. Humans, joined by refugees from Wesnoth, are still there...
scenario 1 story
poem 1 (to insert)

Narrator:
On that day, like on many days, they are three: Ellaku, who you will know better. Jesuni the old mage who met her, welcomed hed, loved her; Jesuni who helped her find her own magic. Xohani the young servant and guard; Xohani who feels things for her Ellaku.

A wet foggy automn evening along mountain trails: they had travelled all across KurLan. They are coming back from Fjenow, the village where Ellaku was born, on the bank of Great River: a sort of pilgrimage for her. They speak not. Ellaku, full of feel, full of sense. They march back home, to Jesuni's tower on the bank of River Listra. Late it is, they wish to reach the river Listra before night. A wet foggy automn evening along mountain paths...
lhybrideur

Re: a funny dialect: request for comments

Post by lhybrideur »

Seems good to me. If you mean that the whole text is in dialect, I mean.
Last edited by lhybrideur on November 12th, 2019, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denispir

Post by denispir »

lhybrideur wrote: November 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm Seems good too me. If you mean that the whole text is in dialect, I mean.
Yes, the whole text is in dialect.
Thank you lhybrideur. Do you have other comments?
Ninez

Post by Ninez »

lhybrideur wrote: November 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm Seems good too me
Oh, I see you speak that dialect too
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Ninez wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:23 am
lhybrideur wrote: November 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm Seems good too me
Oh, I see you speak that dialect too
Corrected :lol: