Mushroom defense cap

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Mushroom defense cap

Post by sergey »

Historically mushroom was a single terrain, not mixed. It means that terrain properties (movement, defense) is only mushroom, no matter what is the visible underlying terrain. In the latest 1.15 code a mixed mushroom terrain was added, it works similarly to the forest terrain - worst move, best defense. Single mushroom terrain is also available.

It seems like some units require mushroom defense cap, similarly to how human mounted units have forest defense cap. I propose to add the mushroom defense cap to human mounted units and gryphons, it looks like those units are designed to have bad movement and defense on the mushroom terrain.

Please share your thoughts about this topic.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Hejnewar

Re: Mushroom defense cap

Post by Hejnewar »

sergey wrote: September 30th, 2019, 8:41 pm It seems like some units require mushroom defense cap, similarly to how human mounted units have forest defense cap. I propose to add the mushroom defense cap to human mounted units and gryphons, it looks like those units are designed to have bad movement and defense on the mushroom terrain.
Hi, I agree with that, some units should have defense cap on new mushroom terrain and I would actually like to expand this list by adding Dune Rider and level ups of this unit as well as...
Goblin Spearman, Orcish Assassin, Orcish Grunt, Wolf Rider and thier level ups. I don't think that Orcs and Goblins like mushroom terrain, it doesn't give them any additional defense (Defense=40%) and they have hard time moving thru it (Movement Cost=3) but this is entirely dependent on lore.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hejnewar wrote: October 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm Goblin Spearman, Orcish Assassin, Orcish Grunt, Wolf Rider and thier level ups.
Mushroom defense cap doesn't make sense for Orcish Assassin since he has 70% defense in mushroom. Perhaps you meant Orcish Archer? If we add mushroom defense cap to Wolf Rider, it will also make sense to add it to all wolfs (they use the same movetype AFAIK, also Wolf Rider's race is wolf, not goblin)
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Yeah I meant Orcish Archer.

Actually I really feel weird about wolves having such low defense and high movement cost in mushroom grove. It really looks like movement type of wolves was taken from goblin rider rather than the other way around.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Mushroom defense cap was added to human mounted units, dunefolk Sunderer line and several flying units (Gryphon, Wyvern, Roc) See #4523