Wesnoth 1.15.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.15.1

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.15.1 is out!
(and no, you didn't miss 1.15.0 - for various reasons, 1.15.1 is actually the first release)

As the first release of the 1.15 development series, a variety of changes and improvements have been included. However, since it has also been a while since our last alpha-quality development release, we would like to remind everyone how the testing and feedback process works:
  • If you download Wesnoth stand-alone, make sure to keep the latest stable release around in case the game breaks and you find yourself unable to get your daily fix of Wesnoth.
  • Playtest the game, and make sure to report any bugs you find! Even obvious bugs can be left unfixed if everyone assumes someone else has already reported it.
  • For any bugs found, or to request new features to be added, check out bug tracker here. First though, please read these instructions, which will give your bug report or feature request the best chance of being addressed.
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of the release. Some items are due to be fixed in future releases of the 1.15 series, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you!

Changes since 1.14
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions since the previous stable release. A full list of changes may be found in our changelog.

General
Wings of Victory, an Intermediate level Drake campaign with 11 scenarios has been added to mainline thanks to SigurdFireDragon.
Delfador's Memoirs:
  • S09 & 10: Increase difficulty.
  • S12: Allow respective recruits when the loyalists & mages join Delfador.
Secrets of the Ancients:
  • Added ability to recruit different kinds of walking corpses during the campaign.
The Hammer of Thursagan:
  • Removed scenarios 4 (Troll Bridge), 5 (Invaders), and 7 (Mages and Drakes).
  • Reworked scenario 8 (Fear) and rebalanced other scenarios.
Under the Burning Suns:
  • Various bugfixes (objectives, allied vision, unit spawns, event firing).
  • S8: change water to rise based on timer, not player movement.
The Dunefolk faction was overhauled to improve balance against the six Default factions (PR#4195).

This was a group effort which was primarily driven and implemented by many people, some of whom had never contributed to mainline Wesnoth before. Thank you!

A summary of the many changes made to the Dunefolk can be found here.
  • Revise mechanics of the liminal alignment to match up with the intended meaning.
  • Observers are now required to enter a game's password as well, rather than just players needing to enter the password. (PR#4140)
  • Added the FULL option for :droid command. (PR#4147)
  • A message is now displayed when observers share IP addresses. (PR#4138)
  • Game bans are now also enforced by username. (PR#4139)
  • Usernames on the host's ignore list are automatically banned. (PR#4143)
  • Giant Scorpion now has 20% resistance to arcane and 0% to all other resists
  • Added Sand Scuttler variation to the Giant Scorpion with same resists as original unit
  • Increased Mermaid Initiate advancement line hitpoints (Diviner 41->45, Enchantress 38->39, Priestess 31->35, Siren 49->51)
  • Rest healing now happens on turn 2. (issue #3562)
  • Normal healing now happens on turn 1 for all sides except the first. (issue #3562)
  • Don't show in the sidebar the time of day schedule of a shrouded hex. (issue #3638)
  • Have the unit_weapons report display weapon specials as active/inactive correctly. (issue #4071)
  • macOS: use the Dark GUI on macOS Mojave and later when dark appearance is enabled.
  • Re-added the Font Scaling preference.
  • The sidebar, recall dialog, etc now show attack's range (melee/ranged) and damage type (arcane/blade/cold/...) using icons. (PR #3732, #3740)
  • Add hit count statistics to the statistics dialog. (PR #4070)
  • Added optional command-line arguments for detecting invalid WML.
  • Add wml.load() and wml.parse() functions
  • wml.tostring() now outputs a string that can be parsed back to WML without loss of data.
  • Add wml.clone() function that performs a deep copy of a config or vconfig.
  • Organize API functions into several new (sub)modules: gui, wesnoth.units, wesnoth.interface
  • Support [filter_weapon] in leadership and resistance abilities, which activates the ability only when the affected unit is using a matching weapon.
  • Support [filter_second_weapon] in leadership and resistance abilities, which activates the ability only when the affected unit's opponent is using a matching weapon.
  • Support [or] in [filter_wml] and similar places
  • Support globbing in [filter_wml] via glob_on_* keys
  • Support usage and alignment in SUF
  • Add u and v variables in ~ADJUST_ALPHA() and ~CHAN()
  • Support male_voice and female_voice in [message]
  • The {SPECIAL_NOTES_*} macros now start with a newline and a bullet point.
  • Fix a crash if the credits (including all add-ons) are very long (PR#4207)
  • Enabled wesnothd and campaignd to accept IPv6 connections
  • The campaign AI Controller feature is now deprecated, and has been removed from mainline campaigns.
  • Deprecate EXPERIMENTAL_AI macro: use ai_algorithm=experimental_ai in the [ai] tag instead.
  • Deprecate filter(), choose() and xyoff() ai_helper library functions.
  • Remove the Default AI's attack_depth aspect (had been non-functional for a long time already).
  • Remove support for speaker=id in Standard Unit Filters (but retain in [message])
  • Deprecate [replace_map]map= in favor of map_data=
  • Support [movetype]flying= and deprecate [movetype]flies=, for consistency with [unit]flying=
  • The deprecated format for displaying image icons with text in [option] has been removed.
Playing:
  • Windows: Windows 7 is now the minimum supported version.
  • Windows: the stand-alone download from SourceForge is now 64-bit, and we expect the Steam version to also become 64-bit in the near future. As such, 32-bit versions of Windows will no longer be supported.
  • macOS: Wesnoth now uses the app sandboxing feature, which means there is a new location for saves. All saves will be migrated during first launch automatically. For info about backwards compatibility see here.
Building:
  • OpenMP support has been removed. It is no longer an optional build-time dependency.
  • Boost 1.56.0 or later is now required.
Known bugs in this release
General bugs:
  • OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up, leading to all kinds of different manifestations of the issue. There’s no fix available yet. The recommendation for the time being is to avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive.
  • Preprocessor errors corrupt cache (issue #1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences → Cache.
New Contributors and Developers
This release includes new contributions from joeylmaalouf, vgaming/vasya, newfrenchy83, stevecotton/octalot, hrubymar10, jostephd, and Yumi/nemaara, submitted via pull request on GitHub.

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #development Discord channel or #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads
  • In your Steam library: right-click on Battle for Wesnoth, select Properties, go to the BETAS tab, and select the 1.15.x option from the drop down.
  • The stand-alone Microsoft Windows installer is available here.
  • The stand-alone macOS installer is available here.
  • Information for how to get various versions of Wesnoth on Linux is available here, including via flatpak.
  • Source code
Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.15.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.15.x is already running. It was started for 1.15.1 and it serves all development releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial, or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Adamant14

Re: Wesnoth 1.15.1

Post by Adamant14 »

I can not run BfW 1.15 on my Windows 10 engine. Every time I try to start the game, it crashes to the desktop without any error messages. I tried 1.15.0 and 1.15.1, both downloaded from here.

Log:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.15.1 (ae39d31f7ef-Modified)
Started on Sat Sep 07 14:06:23 2019

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:\Users\Adamant14\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.1

Data directory:               C:\Users\Adamant14\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.1
User configuration directory: C:\Users\Adamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15
User data directory:          C:\Users\Adamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15
Cache directory:              C:\Users\Adamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15\cache

Setting mode to 1280x720
EDIT: removed the "D" character
Last edited by Adamant14 on September 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Adamant14 wrote: September 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm Log:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.15.1 (ae39d31f7ef-Modified)
Started on Sat Sep 07 14:06:23 2019

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:\Users\Adamant14\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.1

Data directory:               C:\Users\Adamant14\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.1
User configuration directory: C:\Users\Adamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15
User data directory:          C:\Users\DAdamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15
Cache directory:              C:\Users\Adamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15\cache

Setting mode to 1280x720
The "D" character in "C:\Users\DAdamant14\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.15" is certainly strange, although I suspect that might just be a stray character that was accidentally typed in when pasting the log.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

That's right, sorry for that.
I've edited the post above.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Could you try the Steam version and see if that works? The version on SourceForge is 64-bit whereas the Steam version is still 32-bit.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Pentarctagon wrote: September 8th, 2019, 4:47 pm The version on SourceForge is 64-bit
Why is the installer file named "wesnoth-1.15.1-win32.exe"?

Also, why does the installer offer to install in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.1"? Usually 64-bit programs go in "C:\Program Files" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)".
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I really don't know, and I agree it's confusing. I did confirm this with the Windows packager though.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I can play the steam version, but I have no idea how to upload my own campaign to the steam version.
And I still have no idea why the windows-installer version don’t run on my computer.
Is this just a problem on my engine, or on all windows computers?
Is there a windows user who can confirm that the installer works?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Installer works with windows 10.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Also, the Steam version uses the same in-game add-on manager that the non-Steam version does, so playing/uploading non-mainline campaigns isn't any different.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

@Ravana

Then the problem is on my computer, thanks for confirming

@Pentarctagon

Thank you, I will check that tomorrow

EDIT: The Steam version works fine for me, thank you for the hint.
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

Pentarctagon could you pls add Dugi AMLAs and the graphics from To Lands Unknown (Infernus) to this version of Wesnoth

Please. That should be awesome.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

If you want an add-on to be added to the 1.15 server, you should ask the author of that add-on to do so. TLU has already been ported, though, so I'm not sure what you mean by "add the graphics of TLU". Is there some bug in TLU that only occurs under Wesnoth 1.15?
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

3Lorde wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm Pentarctagon could you pls add Dugi AMLAs and the graphics from To Lands Unknown (Infernus) to this version of Wesnoth

Please. That should be awesome.
When I said Dugi AMLAs I mean that the units can get that extra level like Dugi use. I think very cool if you add that. This way you have infinite AMLAs in the main line.

About the graphics I mean give the possibility that other people can use that tech(3D).
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Is there any way i can get the new campaign not by the new installer because i have a 32 bit pc for the moment.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.