Is it possible for an spectator to cause OOS errors on the host or players?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Is it possible for an spectator to cause OOS errors on the host or players?

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Like, if the spectator has a newer version of an add-on than the host/players, could their presence makes them report out of sync?

Also, I've noticed that readng the game help (unit, terrain descriptions, etc) while a another player is moving his units might cause OOS as well. Is there a way to fix it?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Is it possible for an spectator to cause OOS errors on the host or players?

Post by josteph »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: July 6th, 2019, 1:00 pm Also, I've noticed that readng the game help (unit, terrain descriptions, etc) while a another player is moving his units might cause OOS as well. Is there a way to fix it?
I just tried this and didn't get an OOS error. Can you give exact instructions for reproducing this? Are you sure the OOS wasn't caused by something else?

Don't know the answer to your first questoin.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It is possible to create addon that makes spectators cause OOS, but it will not happen accidentally.
PapaSmurfReloaded

josteph wrote: July 6th, 2019, 2:10 pmAre you sure the OOS wasn't caused by something else?
Sorry to be unhelpful but I can't tell precisely. Just tested it in a normal hamlet game with default era and no add-ons and it didnt happen.

I recall specfically seeing in my Kingdom Builder Mod (and maybe in ARRPGA and Clash of Heroes), maybe it could be caused by changing map terrain or storing/unstoring units somehow while reading the menu? I normally use default era or eras using default units (ARRPGA Era).

The result has led often to number id of the unit does not match, or the location is off.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on July 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Ravana wrote: July 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm It is possible to create addon that makes spectators cause OOS, but it will not happen accidentally.
So my mere presence spectating a game even if the players have an older version of ARRPGA is not enough to cause an OOS?
Maybe I am just paranoid lol
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

You as the observer may get out of sync but you should not be able to change anything for the players.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Observer can change game state only if it was explicitly coded that way. And then it would almost certainly cause oos.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Ravana wrote: July 6th, 2019, 5:51 pm Observer can change game state only if it was explicitly coded that way. And then it would almost certainly cause oos.
I don't know of any way how add-ons can allow observers to change the game state.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Lua has access to observers list, so you can add logic based on names in there.