Dunefolk Rework - Table Of Content / Change-Log

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Table Of Content / Change-Log

Post by josteph »

ghype wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:36 pm Update#4 - May 27th, 2019

Writing:
  • final candidates
I assume this refers to the unit names? I thought it meant unit descriptions would be up but I see most unit descriptions haven't been written yet. I see weapon special and ability descriptions are up, though. (Speaking of which - your SPECIAL_NOTES_INITIATIVE macro is out of date, on master I changed it to use a bullet.)
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Hi! Today, ForestDragon and I tested your era. I want to write a review. I'm not sure that the review should be written in this topic. If this is not correct, give me a link to the correct topic.

Generally... We were disappointed. The fact is that already in the first game, several strange bugs were discovered. Strange, because we don't understand how in 6 months of work you could not notice them.

Here is a list of bugs:

When attacking, the alchemist's sprite (level 2) is replaced with the healer's sprite

The flamethrower doesn't have an attack animation. Well, there is not even a simple sound and projectile. We looked at the code. You changed the attack ID, but forgot to specify the new ID in [filter attack].

Swordsman and Naga have no attack animation at all. This is strange. Why didn't you at least make an attack sound? In the mainline, there are units without animation, but they all use the basic sprite + hit/miss sound.

The description of the liminal feature is not too obvious. Of course, we understand that by 0/0/25/0/0/25 you mean bonus damage at sunset and dawn, but for other players this may seem incomprehensible. By the way, why did you make this a feature of the weapon? Maybe you should have written a new alighment?

In any case, I suggest changing the description of this feature. Why not write "deals 25% more damage at dusk and dawn"?

We were also surprised by some of the characteristics of dunefolk.

The rider has 60% protection in the mountains. This is very strange. First, dunesfolk doesn't seem to live in the mountains, and second, any cavalry is inconvenient to operate in mountainous areas. 60% protection in the hills would look more reasonable. ((If dunesfolk like the hills)

The guardsman deals a lot of damage. During the day, it is 15-2. Isn't it too much in one hit?

Overall, the era looks very raw to add to the main line. I hope this review will help you make it better.
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hello, thank you guys for your time testing this.

Reason for your impressions is that the add-on you were testing became at some obsolete as most of the changes discussed here were implemented quickly into the game for 1.15 version. After that point, further balance changes happened with the guidance of Hejnewar and some sprites got further updates by doofus-01 along the way.

So to say, this Dunefolk Rework you tested was just the middle step to what dunefolk currently is in the the versions 1.15.3+ and hence not a true representation of it's current state.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote: December 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm Hello, thank you guys for your time testing this.

Reason for your impressions is that the add-on you were testing became at some obsolete as most of the changes discussed here were implemented quickly into the game for 1.15 version. After that point, further balance changes happened with the guidance of Hejnewar and some sprites got further updates by doofus-01 along the way.

So to say, this Dunefolk Rework you tested was just the middle step to what dunefolk currently is in the the versions 1.15.3+ and hence not a true representation of it's current state.
Ah, alright.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Mechanical wrote: December 8th, 2020, 11:18 am We were also surprised by some of the characteristics of dunefolk.

The rider has 60% protection in the mountains. This is very strange. First, dunesfolk doesn't seem to live in the mountains, and second, any cavalry is inconvenient to operate in mountainous areas. 60% protection in the hills would look more reasonable. ((If dunesfolk like the hills)

The guardsman deals a lot of damage. During the day, it is 15-2. Isn't it too much in one hit?
This part is still up to date so:

Dune horses are smaller and more used to hard work, they also originate from elvish horses (and they have 60% on mountains too) their actual heavy cavalry has 50% on hills and 40% on mountains. Dunefolk as a whole live on deserts but also near some mountain ranges.

Nah its not. He would be 3rd (tied with HI) in single strkie on lvl 1. When it comes to total damage output strong one can deal as much as strong spearman or strong drake fighter. In 1.15 test tournament soldier was less popular than rover by good bit, this might change as time goes on tho.