Wesnoth - new version?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shevegen

Wesnoth - new version?

Post by shevegen »

Hello,

I made a break again some time ago, largely due to reallife. Every now and then I look back to wesnoth to see what is new.

I am reluctant to try out the 1.14.x branch largely because I know it quite well and am more curious about anything that may
change. I think a few wesnoth devs are working on curious things on their github account.

So now to my two questions:

a) Does anyone have some ~rough idea when a new major version of wesnoth may be released? Does not have to be exact, any ~half-a-year estimate is perfectly fine.

b) And what interesting changes may we see in that?
EarthCake

Re: Wesnoth - new version?

Post by EarthCake »

Here is something we can see in new version. Note that this all is optional and up to developers.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

If he feels his changes warrant inclusion, I'm sure he'll either put them in himself or make a Pull Request so the rest of us can take a look at them.

As to the OP's questions:

a) Nope. Anyone who says they do is wrong. Some of us might have a date in mind but, I hope, we're all experienced enough, and wise enough, to keep it to ourselves.

b) Take a look at the running changelog on GitHub. _I_ may think it's interesting to refactor Gender away from the base unit type, but I'm sure you'll find that a big yawn.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: May 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm If he feels his changes warrant inclusion, I'm sure he'll either put them in himself or make a Pull Request so the rest of us can take a look at them.
Then this forum noob, may ask in this forum, 'Is it possible to replace the option of storing the userdata directory in the install location?' or not?
I noticed that option was missing in the installer for 1.14, just wanted to know:

A: Why this option was removed

B: Can it be included in 1.15>
Tad_Carlucci wrote: May 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm b) Take a look at the running changelog on GitHub.
Might be interesting. Do you have a direct address?
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I believe there is a command-line option to set the userdata directory. The project, itself, has no installer. I assume you're talking about a Windows installer, which would be handled by whoever does the Windows packaging.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... angelog.md is the "master" changelog. This is where we're working on the next release.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... angelog.md is the 1.14 changelog. This is where we're working on updates to the current release. Almost everything here should also be on the "master" but there may be some which only apply to the 1.14 release and are not copied over the the master branch.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Yes, I am using Windows.
Thank you for the links.
Made Documents\My Games\WesnothX.Y the default user config+data dir on Windows to replace the broken \userdata default that has never been acceptable practice. Portable installs are now required to explicitly use . or .. (e.g. --config-dir .\userdata) to force the user config+data dir path to be relative to the current working dir (see also bug #23753).
I found this in the changelog. Just one question, does this mean I create a folder named something like '.\userdata' in the main Wesnoth dir, and it will store userdata there? Or is Documents\My Games\WesnothX.Y the only location Wesnoth on a Windows platform will store and read userdata?
(I already tried creating a userdata dir in themain Wesnoth dir, unsuccessfully.)
Hmmm ... '...replace the broken \userdata default...' I guess replacing the Windows installer option to store 'the broken \userdata' folder in the install location will not be returning....
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The option to store userdata in install location was removed because people misused it - selected it when they installed to location that requires admin rights to access. Some time during early 1.13.

The userdata folder will be created in the location you specify as command line parameter, you do not need to personally create it.