Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
CrossBreed

Re: Nenau's sprites, advice welcome

Post by CrossBreed »

I like the sprites, good job!
The leg piece of the Mirmillo seems a little bent.
Also, maybe some footwear would fit well (maybe leather sandals?)
nenau

Post by nenau »

You're right that there is something wrong going on with the Mirmillo's leftmost leg. Maybe I didn't use enough tones in the bottom part of the armor piece... Or maybe the angle of the knee is wrong. I'll maybe try an other version later.
About the sandals, the gladiators are supposed not to wear any kind of shoes (in that, my two firsts are wrong, but I am too lazy right now to corect them). But for the other roman units, it would actually be great, but I don't think I am skilled enough (yet?) to draw convincing sandals. I add it to my things-to-learn list, just after the drawing of hair.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Instead of changing knee, you can turn the right foot in another direction (to make it out). Right now it looks like Mirmillo broke his right leg.
nenau

Post by nenau »

You're right, it's a better option. I'll do that, thanks.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Secutor's shield is less round than the Mirmillo's one. Why is left leg of Secutor armored?
nenau

Post by nenau »

Actually, both should have armor only on the left leg (like the Secutor) because it's the one that is closest to the adversary. I didn't want to change it first because it was a small mstake, but now that I will work again on the Mirmillo's leg, I guess I will correct it.
Noted about the shield. It will be changed for the Secutor in the updated version.
SFault

Post by SFault »

The sprites look nice but to me they both look like level 1 units. Especially the Secutor could have more color and larger size.

If you are planning to have a whole era of these units then this doesn't matter. But if you're planning to use them mixed with core wesnoth units they should look their level better.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
nenau

Post by nenau »

Those gladiators are meant to be used with roman sprites from Turin, that tend to be slightly smaller as mainline ones, but actually, I'd prefer my units to be as compatible as possible with mainline. See a comparaison below
size_comparison.png
size_comparison.png (144.61 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
The secutor is indeed the smallest of those lvl3 units. I guess I'll try to make him slightly taller and larger. The problem with this gladiators line is that the lvl3 have smaller crests (or no crest at all) than lvl2 units.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think you could darken the skin outlines, the bare skin really stands out right now. The net (I think?) the bald guy is holding is hard to read. Check out the mainline goblin pillager, you could probably adapt that.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
nenau

Post by nenau »

Thanks, I add this to my todo list on these sprites.