New feature to allow for easier voice acting

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: New feature to allow for easier voice acting

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi josteph, thanks for all the help with this! I have been unfortunately busy over the past few days but hopefully I will be able to test it at some point!
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

You're welcome, and thanks for not being silent! I look forward to your test results whenever you get around to them :)
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

CelMin has added on master the feature for locale-dependent music filename lookups (9cccfd73b0128e467912fca3470d52265622bd15). That means I'll be able to remove the language code for localized resources^en_US trick (eventually, but not just yet).
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Sorry josteph I still haven't had time to do this. I haven't forgotten though!
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Personally I think it is not a good idea to store hashes, as filenames or directory names, just as Ravana has pointed out.

The linux distribution nixOS makes use of that, and while the underlying (whole) design of nixos is very interesting ("bring
reproducibility into linux"), it is very ugly (and even disgusting) to look at file names or directory names that basically tell
you nothing at all.

For voice files IMHO it may be better to add an additional entry for the configuration; and the mapping could be done
differently e. g. use a same-named directory (such as voice_acting/ or something like that), and some other mapping
towards the corresponding file.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I think this project has slightly fallen out of attention due to the lack of time of the rest of the team working on voice acting (and myself since I have been working on the DF project). Hopefully it will be renewed at some point and then we can implement this further.
shevegen wrote: May 15th, 2019, 5:34 pm Personally I think it is not a good idea to store hashes, as filenames or directory names, just as Ravana has pointed out.
Thank you for your comments shevegen! :)

Yes, the hashing mechanism may not be the best for this particular usage but it seems like it could be an effective method. It has been a while so the reasoning we chose to do hashing has escaped my memory but I believe it had something to do with the convenience of the code, and ability to add-on voice data easily to mainline campaigns without any changes being made.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Just as an alternative idea:

Instead of trying to automatically find out which file to play, allow to have an add-on (with voice definitions in WML) which plugs into an existing campaign?
This way we could clearly indicate in readable WML when to use which voice file, without affecting the rest of the campaign with it.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The downside of that idea is that the campaign and the addon could go out of sync, if someone modifies the campaign and the addon isn't updated too at the same time. Also, I'm not sure if that solution would work for narrating the story screens.