Battle For Wesnoth on Windows98 :)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JustOnce5519

Battle For Wesnoth on Windows98 :)

Post by JustOnce5519 »

:eng: Some history, some that being lost
battleforwesnorth.png
This is game version1.10.3. Newer v1.14.7 already so bugly and can't run in any case.
Yes, perfomance of P3 computer with 512mb of ram enough to normal gaming. … Has short screen scrolling freezes when playing in window mode (on 1200x1600), but on full screen all run smooth.
But P3 is really minimum machine. Game need ~300mb of ram for itself, i.e. PCs with less RAM quite possible produce hard freezes.

But no, not all will happy. Starting of game some difficult. It very likes to crash in first time. But when you already see main menu – then it run stable.
battleforwesnorth_bug.png
If anyone want repeat this:
You need:
wesnoth-1.10.3-win32.exe Game Installer.
Windows98IF 14 or newer
KernelEx v4.5.2015.10 or newer
-
install game
set compatibility WinXPsp2 for libglib-2.0-0.dll and libcairo-2.dll
(first has mark for block working on 9x systems, and crashes game, second looks like have algorithm confusion and make no ingame text fonts bug)
run first time
after remove “turbo_speed=2” from userdata\preferences file end set it “read only” for prevent changes.
Now play.
But if you see boost crash again try remove userdata\cache and all in it, reboot PC. I'm detect that this bug is some hardware-dependent.
Good luck. Yours Пакость :twisted:
Spixi

Re: Battle For Wesnoth on Windows98 :)

Post by Spixi »

Wow! I never expected, that such Boost 1.45.1 (which is from 2010!) would run on Windows 98. Maybe on MinGW, but this is clearly Visual C++!

By the way: Where did you get that fancy Windows-7-like theme with these icons, taskbar and titlebars?
JustOnce5519

Post by JustOnce5519 »

Where did you get that fancy Windows-7-like theme
In general this is default “Windows7” theme from RvolutionPack 9.7.2 kit, but some edited by i'mself (some icons, window caption border textures).
Comparing with windows... no Uberskin format are Linux like and to edit some of you minimal need only paint and notepad.
that such Boost 1.45.1 (which is from 2010!) would run on Windows 98
Boost is very bugly thing, but at end as go you luck and as being it compiled. In general it not work anywhere.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

As I remember new versions of Wesnoth demands processors that support new SSE 2.0 instructions.
So something like 1.08 must work on really, really old computers.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
nyov

Post by nyov »

I like.

And that Li'sar character portrait fits much better to her Tutorial behavior than the newer one.
Well, I guess it wasn't realistic enough ;)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Her portrait is campaign-specific data, there are separate copies of that image in HttT and the Tutorial. If there was a new image available, it would be easy to replace the one in the tutorial.

Now that you've mentioned it, I think a more lightly armoured variant of her would be better for the tutorial, maybe only chain-mail without any plates on top of it. However, it could be one of the first portraits that a new player sees, so it's got to be really good.