Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Post by ghype »

A small updated version by Lordlewis who recoloured the hair to a more fitting colour.
The only really thing i might consider changing is to make the legs look more natural. Maybe the shield has too much of an angle. And the eyes.
But we will see...
Attachments
shieldbreaker-40.png
shieldbreaker-40.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

So, i am back from vacation (as you know I do not really do wesnoth stuff during off-times.)

Here are some drafts for the lv ups for the lv1 naga.
Bare in mind they are not yet recoloured accordingly.
The lv2 is pretty much solid. I dont think there is anything to be improved upon.
The lv3 might needs some more work, so i need some feedback on that. If not I guess that works just as fine.
The lv3 has a version for flat and water (where he holds the bow in different positions)

naga-lv3-3 comparison.png
naga-lv3-3 comparison.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Overall I think the naga looks pretty good. I don't quite understand why you need the different bow locations, but maybe it would make sense if I saw it in-game...?

I didn't remember them being a dual-wielder though, it seems strange to suddenly switch from two swords to sword and bow.

(Should be bear in mind, by the way.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 29th, 2019, 12:30 pm I don't quite understand why you need the different bow locations
with the initial position the bow would be completly submerged in water. it would make sense for him to keep it over water for agility reasons.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 29th, 2019, 12:30 pm I didn't remember them being a dual-wielder though, it seems strange to suddenly switch from two swords to sword and bow.
Thats a good point. I forgot to draw the second blade which was supposed to be on a holster.
So basically the current frame is non fighting frame. If fighting close combat he will hide the bow and draw his second blade from the holster. If fighting on ranged combat, he will hide the the blade and use only bow and arrows.

Would that be acceptable for sprite design?
ghype

Post by ghype »

this is an updated version. If now everything looks fine, Lordlewis will start to recolouring them like the lv1 and this line would be finished.
Next ones to go would be the chakram naga line.
naga-lv3-4.png
naga-lv3-4.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
naga-lv3-4-comparison.png
naga-lv3-4-comparison.png (13.61 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I guess it's probably intentional, but to me it feels like the L3 is just too big. Even the L2 is a bit on the big side, or maybe it's the L1 that's a bit small, not sure. The reason it stands out is because the naga's entire body seems to be bigger, as if the L1 were just a juvenile and he's growing up as he gains levels. That's a striking difference from the naga fighter line, where the naga remains the same size throughout – the L3 only looks bigger because of his more elaborate armour. (I think maybe there is a small body size difference between L1 and L2 in the fighter line, but it's not as dramatic as you have here.)
ghype

Post by ghype »

lv1's are same pixel height
lv2's have 1 pixel difference in height
lv3's have 5 pixel difference in height

if you check the comparison from the default to mine, you can see that none of my nagas are bigger then the default ones. If want this naga to be generally smaller then the default one, thats a different thing.

what do you suggest?
Attachments
naga-lv3-4-comparison-2.png
naga-lv3-4-comparison-2.png (19.36 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great job, the Naga are looking really good! And I am impressed by the quality of the sprites.

Just curious what thoughts you had for the alternate Naga line? Are you planning at some point in drawing the alternate lvl 2 advancement bladewind? :)
ghype

Post by ghype »

The_Gnat wrote: May 1st, 2019, 4:10 am Just curious what thoughts you had for the alternate Naga line? Are you planning at some point in drawing the alternate lvl 2 advancement bladewind? :)
certainly. but tell me. you do you agree with celtic regarding their sizes?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: May 1st, 2019, 7:22 am
The_Gnat wrote: May 1st, 2019, 4:10 am Just curious what thoughts you had for the alternate Naga line? Are you planning at some point in drawing the alternate lvl 2 advancement bladewind? :)
certainly. but tell me. you do you agree with celtic regarding their sizes?
Hmm, that is a good question.

My first response is to say that I don't agree, I believe the size is pretty similar to the other Naga line and I think that some increased size is reflected in many other unit's lines.

However, after close inspection I think I can see what he is saying. The main point worth noting is the difference between the new naga's level 1 and 2.

If you look closely it does seem that he not only gets stronger but also gets... almost older...

If you look at the arm width of the lvl 1, the naga fighter has a considerably thicker arm at level 1. He retains almost the same muscle size throughout the entire unit line and any increase in size is purely armour. In contrast the new naga's arms go from looking a little skinny to muscular by the lvl 3.

Celtic says this is as a bad thing but I actually don't think this is necessarily bad. Consider for example the Merman lines, their faces and bodies grow visibly larger and older. Similarly the Fencer goes from youth to manhood.

In conclusion I don't think any change is needed but if you are going to make a change consider the right arm of the lvl 1 in comparison with the left arm. The right arm (his right) changes massively in size on advancement but the left arm (his left) changes only a small amount, and primarily in length not in width. Perhaps you can do something with this?

(note: that all this is a tiny detail, but since you asked I have focused on it, I personally think the sprites all look great! :D )
ghype

Post by ghype »

I can see now what you mean.

I too thought the lv1 arm is too "shiny" as in too lean.
That might have happened in the progress of recolouring it, which was mostly done by Lordlewis.
Either him or me will add back some muscular structures the lv1 arm. That should make the line more cohesive.

The default lv1 naga indeed has muscular arms...
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

The new naga look awesome! :o
At first,I also thought lvl3 looks way too big, but when you put it side by side with the existing ones, turns out its size iz ok.

The only nitpick I have is that the bow on lvl3's back looks almost vertically positioned, which seems odd given naga's stance. I'm aware that this is not actually the case- the bow is tilted, it's just hard to read because the string is barely shown. This is mostly the issue on white background where the sting is almost invisible, and it's ok on black where you can tell it with a glance, but I think it'll also be a bit hard to read in-game. Maybe just tilt the bow a tiny bit more, and/or make the string a bit darker.
ghype

Post by ghype »

while i am fixing the nagas, I'd like to show the progress on the lv2 shieldbreaker.

still WIP, shield and legs need work, but just to show what kind of direction she would go.

thoughts? you like this?
Attachments
_shieldbreaker-lv2-2.png
_shieldbreaker-lv2-2.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

ghype wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 1:14 pm still WIP, shield and legs need work, but just to show what kind of direction she would go.
thoughts? you like this?
For now, it's already quite awesome! :D
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Looking more closely at the nagas, I think what I was originally reading as part of the naga's body in the L3 (I dunno, a horn or crest or something?) is actually a helmet, so that nullifies any issue between L2 and L3. The L1 to L2 progression still seems a bit much to me, but seeing it alongside the naga fighter line, it doesn't seem that bad.