Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vendanna

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Post by Vendanna »

about the weapon I like the first one. dunno if it would be feasible to have the naga use something like the klingon Batlegh or whatever is named, but it would have looked cool too.

for colours, the first green seems to be better since it looks healthier while being distinct from the normal naga greens. the second one its a tad pale? so I don't know if its different enough from the base to differenciate them from sight.

from the shield bearer I have the sensation that the shield isn't grabbed to the female arm but to the wrist near the hand, due the positioning. but also I'm not going to ask to change it since probably is the best placement you found out while working on it.

Take care.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
ghype

Post by ghype »

Vendanna wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm dunno if it would be feasible to have the naga use something like the klingon Batlegh or whatever is named, but it would have looked cool too.
thats certainly a exotic melee weapon. I would be interested to see that happen somehow. but that it would have to be from lv1 as it make no sense to start with daggers and end up with those crazy semi circle. How would imagine to implement that weapon in the unit paths?

Vendanna wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm from the shield bearer I have the sensation that the shield isn't grabbed to the female arm but to the wrist near the hand, due the positioning.
every feedback is welcome and helpful. I will improve the sprite upon that. The shield has to be changed anyway as it currently is the exact same of the Soldier lv1
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

ghype wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm
Vendanna wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm dunno if it would be feasible to have the naga use something like the klingon Batlegh or whatever is named, but it would have looked cool too.
thats certainly a exotic melee weapon. I would be interested to see that happen somehow. but that it would have to be from lv1 as it make no sense to start with daggers and end up with those crazy semi circle. How would imagine to implement that weapon in the unit paths?
I think the lvl 1 can start with the "bow" and the knife "D'k tahg" (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/D%27k_tahg) since these nagas haven't finished their rite of passage. and on lvl 2 when you pick the "melee" oriented version you get the naga with the Bat'leth (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bat%27leth)

Well, the klingons have a small dagger (with a button to open it once it has penetrated the target to cause more damage. but the batlegh is a two handed weapon, that can be used either as a sword or as a staff (it can cut with the "knifes" at the sides, and the weapon is as long as the user's arm) while you can also parry with it.

Other of the classic moves with it is pushing the weapon forward to "cut" with the "Staff" part the target (thou I think more than blade it could also be a concussion type attack, more akin impact :hmm: ) I think there must be a internet video on how to use the weapon. and I think some american marines trained with it on the US forces.

as in the unit paths, the first level could probably only use it as "blade" attack, but the "melee" oriented version of the naga could also gain the "impact" attack when pushing the weapon forward with both arms. (2 strikes at most so it doesn't compete with the Blade attack which probably have more strikes)

Basically, one of the maneouvers? was blocking an attack with the middle, then push the blade to a side and cut directly to the jugular.

as a note, they also have a few more weapons (since they are the version of Orc's in space) so you can consult there for inspiration. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kl ... de_weapons

Thanks for your time.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

While I am a Star Trek fan myself, I'd rather not see a Naga wielding a bat'leth. Exotic weapons are one thing, but having the Naga wield probably the Klingon's most iconic weapon would be pretty weird.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

I really like the new Shieldbreaker sprite :)
For naga's pose, I don't have a preference. For the color, I prefer the bluish hue to differentiate from the existing nagas more.

For the sword/dagger, a katar, or an aruval would look really interesting, and both are Indian (as are the naga myths irl). Drake Flare/Flameheart already have katars but I don't think that's an issue. Personally, I like aruvals more, but if you go with katars, you could do the following:
  • Have a real katar on lvl1 and in mixed-fighter line (as on Drake Flameheart sprite)
  • Have a katar variation where the blade is not like that of a dagger, but a semicircle, on the chakram line (as on Drake Flare sprite); that would kinda look like half a chakram with a grip, and would nicely tie in visually if the other hand held a throwing chakram.
I don't mind the swords or daggers either though, but there are cool exotic alternatives to consider.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you're still trying to figure out what to put in the naga's other hand, why not have it carry the bow?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

Here is hopefully the final drafts for the units. SB needed a new shield as she had the same as lv1 Solider. We gave her an altered version of the Spearguard's shield as we have to re-design the shields for either the Spearguard or Spearmaster anyway (they are too apart from each other style-wise). Now the only question left is, should SB be masked or unmasked? Or can she be both?
We could do an animation on change from dusk to night where she puts on the mask. Thoughts?

_shieldbreaker-33-comparison.png
_shieldbreaker-33-comparison.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

As for the naga, we were quite happy with the last version for the weapon setup for the lv1 naga so all we did was to think about tis recolouring. LordLewis recoloured them in two versions. One which is close to the original but less of an agressive green and the 2nd closer to bettlenauts blue-ish naga.
Lordlewis prefers the first one, I prefer the blue-ish naga. Which do you prefer?

naga-blight-20-comparison.png
naga-blight-20-comparison.png (8.06 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

Caladbolg wrote: April 4th, 2019, 10:27 pm
  • Have a real katar on lvl1 and in mixed-fighter line (as on Drake Flameheart sprite)
  • Have a katar variation where the blade is not like that of a dagger, but a semicircle, on the chakram line (as on Drake Flare sprite); that would kinda look like half a chakram with a grip, and would nicely tie in visually if the other hand held a throwing chakram.
For the lv1 , we are settled as in the weapon setup. But these are some great ideas for the advancements as I don't want them melee oriented naga to get duo-blade as the current Naga fighter. So he will probably wield two melee weapons, but different ones.
beetlenaut wrote: April 4th, 2019, 11:05 pm If you're still trying to figure out what to put in the naga's other hand, why not have it carry the bow?
As mentioned, I think we are settled for the lv1 Naga.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

A blue(-ish) naga is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I like your chosen shade... as for the shieldbreaker, I think I prefer unmasked. Changing sprites at night is an interesting idea, mind you, but is it worth the extra work?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm A blue(-ish) naga is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I like your chosen shade...
can you point us in a dircetion on what you'd consider a good shade ? we thought the one beattlenaut proposed wasn't that bad actually.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm as for the shieldbreaker, I think I prefer unmasked. Changing sprites at night is an interesting idea, mind you, but is it worth the extra work?
unmasked it will be. about animating the mask shouldn be too hard, but I'd start doing animation once we are finished with base sprites.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'm not really sure... but my vague thought is that if you were going to do a blue-ish naga, it should probably be more drastically different, maybe even change the yellow parts to a lighter shade of blue.

That said, it's probably better just to go with the standard colour scheme.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

so i guess the less blue-ish , the first version it is going to be.

naga-blight-19.png
naga-blight-19.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3347 times

here is another side comparison to the final candidate with the default naga.

naga-blight-21-comparison.png
naga-blight-21-comparison.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

I still think they're a bit too similar even when standing side by side on forum's background. I presume that in-game with more space between them and various backgrounds it'll be harder still to tell them apart. It'd be good if more people commented on it so you know whether it's ok or needs changing.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Caladbolg wrote: April 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm I still think they're a bit too similar even when standing side by side on forum's background.
The only thing worth considering to rework are the front scales as those weren't touched at all.
ghype

Post by ghype »

The reason why I wasn't posting new or fixed base sprites is because I was working on updating the SB as i wasn't satisfied with the quality. I studied Sleepwalker styles a bit harder was able to make a higher quality sprite for the SB.
... new hair, new skin, new legs, rework of armour/shield/spear ...

Old Sprite:

_shieldbreaker-33.png
_shieldbreaker-33.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

New Sprite:

_shieldbreaker-40.png
_shieldbreaker-40.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Sprite Comparison To Rover (Sleepwalker's best work for DF):

_shieldbreaker-39.png
_shieldbreaker-39.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Any more things you things should be changed?

ghype

Post by ghype »

Caladbolg wrote: April 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm I still think they're a bit too similar even when standing side by side on forum's background.
ghype wrote: April 11th, 2019, 12:34 pm The only thing worth considering to rework are the front scales as those weren't touched at all.
So I used an older version from Lordlewis to soften the scales (which ultimately makes the scales less resistant to dmg). Now there is nothing the Naga Fighter and the Dune Naga have in common.

naga-blight-23.png
naga-blight-23.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

I attached a comparison with the version before and the Naga Fighter. The middle one is the one with soften scales.

naga-blight-23-comparison.png
naga-blight-23-comparison.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 3180 times