Poll: do you like Wesnoth RNG?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

do you like Wesnoth RNG?

yes
79%
no
21%

Total votes: 34

sergey

Poll: do you like Wesnoth RNG?

Post by sergey »

To be more precisely - RNG combat system. The discussion that never ends. For example, BfW is a game that relies on save-scumming too much is currently active. Of course you can post your thoughts in this topic too, but the main goal is to get statistics. I intentionally provided only two options - yes or no. Choose your side and let's see who wins :D

Another poll related to the combat RNG Poll: Do you reload usually if you lost your valuable high-level unit because of a strike of unluck?
Last edited by sergey on April 11th, 2019, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: Poll: do you like Wesnoth RNG?

Post by Aldarisvet »

The statement of the question is wrong. It sounds like "do you like Wesnoth"? It should ask, "would you like to get less unpredictable results (less deviations of fights outcomes) in Wesnoth RNG so the luck would play less role in the gameplay?".

Also to get a real picture you should make this poll not here but in Steam. The audience of these forums is quite specific.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
sergey

Post by sergey »

Aldarisvet wrote: April 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm The statement of the question is wrong. It sounds like "do you like Wesnoth"? It should ask, "would you like to get less unpredictable results (less deviations of fights outcomes) in Wesnoth RNG so the luck would play less role in the gameplay?".
I don't think that the question is wrong. If you have another question, you may create your poll.
Aldarisvet wrote: April 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm Also to get a real picture you should make this poll not here but in Steam. The audience of these forums is quite specific.
This poll will show opinions of Wesnoth community. Do you mean that people who don't like the Wesnoth RNG don't play the game and don't have a chance to respond here? There are no-RNG add-ons, so they already can play Wesnoth without RNG (there is also a "less random" add-on, that is probably what you want). If you are trying to understand how many people stopped to play Wesnoth because of the RNG, I don't think there is a way to get a more or less accurate answer.

You think that Wesnoth may become more popular if the RNG combat system will be changed, correct? But what if majority of the community dislikes that?
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

You are right. People who do not like Wesnoth RNG most likely simply do not play Wesnoth and moreover I doubt many of them would be in this forums. Only very aimed person would find and install no-RNG mode and will continue playing Wesnoth with it.

The issue of the discussion you mentioned is about improving, not denying.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Voted yes - mostly because that's how I got to know the game, but also because I think without it the game would have gotten stale a long time ago.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For me it's less that I like it; rather, I understand the decision that was made and that it means that sometimes I'm just going to get screwed over. I wouldn't be opposed to a change per se, but I recognize the current way of things serves a purpose.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I voted yes. But it probably is important to define 'like'.

I believe that the wesnoth RNG is beneficial in three areas:

1. the game is very interesting (tactically and strategically)
2. the unpredictability of the RNG parallels classic RPG fantasy games (DnD comes to mind)
3. the RNG isn't too frustrating (I have seen much worse)
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I guess people tend to keep negatives more often in mind then positives.
Yes, I don't like when that Mage misses 3 out of 3, and that happens, but later that match there is a 4 out of 4 with that elvish fighter on 50% chance to hit.
There are lucky moments too. Looking at the overall "luck" stats at the end of the game, most of the time it's pretty close to 0%.
sometimes +/- 2-3% maybe.
Matches where luck heavily favours one side are rare.
And even that evens out. Because over a course of multiple matches, that evens out too.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

There where two polls, this and that I created about using save and loads.
I want to conclude.
It is appeared that people like Wesnoth RNG and the same time they like to do reloads (in case of great losses).

But it is quite logical!

Why should a common player do not like Wesnoth RNG when it provides an abiltiy to greatly shift the balance to his advantage?
Because if results deviates greatly from both positive to negative (and this only accumulates with time), of course a player easely can get a great positive result with reloads during every scenario.

As I said earlier, Wesnoth would be much HARDER game for a great audience if RNG would be nullified to an average. Because people would lose that relief that reloads provides them.

I think that most people consciously or unconsciously understand that Wesnoth RNG is a leeway for them (not something that they really can complain on given they can use reloads). And only some "tend to keep negatives more often in mind then positives" as Bitron said.

Multiplayer is totally another reality however because players there cannot reload and I really doubt that players in multiplayer really like excessive randomness.

I didn't vote in this poll but I do not like Wesnoth RNG anymore because it provides that leeway for a player. Not because a mage can miss three times in a row in Wesnoth.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Bitron wrote: April 18th, 2019, 9:03 am I guess people tend to keep negatives more often in mind then positives.
Oh, man. There is one review on Steam so funny that I want to post it here. Hope that doesn't violate any rules. I don't want to laugh at that guy who wrote that. I hope he will eventually learn to be more realistic.
Battle for Wesnoth is a really cool game that I can't recommend. The RNG feels broken. And no, I don't mean the fact that there IS RNG somehow ruins the game, because it doesn't. The reason it feels broken is because the percentages shown never seem to match up with what actually happens. Seriously, 50% chance to hit feels more like 30%, 40% feels like 20%, etc. Oh, and your chance to hit will rarely go above those for some reason. Occasionally you might get the chance to attack with a 60% or 70% chance to hit, but it doesn't really matter because those still feel like <50% anyway. Only play this if you plan on doing away with the RNG entirely via add-ons or if you particularly enjoy pulling your hair out.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Part of the fun of rolling dice is screaming whining and [censored] about it... :) I've been rolling dice (real ones for many many years) for my whole life and well while it might cause me to get furious at times I wouldn't give it up for all the gold in Egypt.