Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

StellarStar wrote: February 5th, 2019, 2:26 pm It happend in "Where the Sun does not shine" after I killed the fire dragon
Fixed.
StellarStar wrote: February 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm So after Delly drops in in the final scenario of chapter 2 Lethalia mentions the events of Affably Evil, and says she will have to talk to her later, did they talk?
They talked off screen only. They had enough time for that between chapters 2 and 3.

Affably Evil was written mainly to explain strange characters in chapter 1. I took it as a challenge to add a prequel with most main characters without having to retcon anything into LotI, to give them reasons to be secretive about the events not mentioned and so on, but it could fit together only if Efraim was actually Lethalia's son. It kinda broke the mood of LotI (thought it wasn't a big deal in Affably Evil where everyone was a villain), so I quickly changed it, but I had to add that moment of recognition.

The real reason why those characters were so odd in chapter 1 were:
1. I wasn't very experienced at writing then
2. I am not a good writer
I wish part 1 is the more main reason because I have written a book recently and wonder if I should submit it somewhere :lol:
StellarStar wrote: February 9th, 2019, 1:20 pmAlso after I finished Thirst for Adventure I got this <Lua> Repeated [endlevel] execution, ignoring
What were you exactly doing in that scenario? There are more ways to finish that one.
Shevel wrote: February 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm I had to feed my addiction so I started the 2nd chapter and just noticed this response while I'm a good bit into the scenario. Do I need to reinstall the game on the iphone or just go back to the last scenario and replay it? I just blame everything on the iPhone. Lol
You only need to update the campaign. The bug manifested only in chapter 7 and later, so you won't see any changes before there.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm Did find one (two?) quirk(s), though. Looking up bardsong from

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/LotI_Standard_ ... 80.93_ToB2

leads to a couple of odd looking entries.
What's odd about it?
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 12th, 2019, 7:48 pm I notice that after a while you can redeem multiple units in one move. How does this work? Is it directional (like arctic blast)? Does it matter which unit I target? Do the levels of the enemy units factor into how many units I can redeem?
It works mostly like explosive, centered around the target. Only the main target is affected as much as expected from a redeem on that level, others need to be of significantly lower levels to be consumed.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Dugi wrote: February 12th, 2019, 10:22 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm Did find one (two?) quirk(s), though. Looking up bardsong from

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/LotI_Standard_ ... 80.93_ToB2

leads to a couple of odd looking entries.
What's odd about it?
It says:

NAME (INTENSITY) – leadership

When it probably should say

bardsong (INTENSITY) – leadership

There's also a

NAME (POWER) – resistance
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
bughunter

Post by bughunter »

I'm trying to read the whole thread before posting, but I'm only in page 125... up to... posts from early 2013... can't wait anymore... argh!

First, more praise for @Dugi et al. Both the gameplay and community support are fantastic. Came because of the hint to google monolith buttons at the end of ch 5. Now on ch 6 Misguiding Lives. BfW 1.14.5 LotI 3.2.2 on MacOS 10.11.3

Uncertain if I should update LotI add on frequently like during development circa v3.0? I do use debug sometimes, but since starting part II I've refrained from changing anything but HP and MP. (And creating a couple of Fire Guardians once). Concerned my cheating may have caused any bugs... or would do so in future releases.

Some AMLA advancements don't appear to do anything, especially Soul Eater advancements in part I, and any that offer abilities like attack more than once per turn, and frequently ones that offered things like cleave or whirlwind. Hit and run doesn't work either- Elvish Griffon Rider didn't get MP after attacks. This was all in part 1.

Also saw the permanent incinerate tint bug somewhere in part 1.

I'll keep better track of things as I play part 2.

Can we have some way to mark unit icons please? I'd like a way to mark or distinguish individuals in groups of identical units without having to mouse over them. I would use them to designate squad leaders, units with modified attack types (e.g. Cold or flame) etc. Ideally I'd like to display a short string of text below the unit, but something as primitive as one of a list of user selectable symbols (lucky charms!) would be useful.

I have ideas about new units, new traits and abilities, and inventory systems but those may be zombie topics by now...

Anyone ever express any love for Nethack yet in this thread? It inspired Diablo, which istr partly inspired loti. It has a nifty inventory system that uses only an ascii interface... And has LOTS of ideas for units, items, plots, etc. And it's open source, and has been for decades so the code can be inspected.

Again thanks for ruining vanilla BfW for me. Your campaigns really added a depth that will be hard to do without.

PS: please don't make me manage any more battles with 250 units like the ones at the end of ch 4. [I did get very good at organizing a randomly placed gross of skeletons and zombies into squads and platoons and deploying them across terrain effectively... and with all of the flying Letty doppelgängers (spawned when she was wielding the Zealous Axe) flitting about, spinning Zeal auras like so many Vietnam War era Hueys, I was humming Ride of the Valkries... but I don't need to repeat it. ]

PPS: [edit] Has the idea of attacks with range >1 hex arisen? Or true support for air units (co-occupy hex above a land unit)? This would open up combined arms tactics like those possible in an old school SSI war game like Panzer General or Fantasy General.

PPPS: sorry about the length
"Is this going to be a stand up fight, sir, or just another bug hunt?"
--Pvt Hudson (Aliens)
dabber

Post by dabber »

Redeem is really just a weapon special. Like any weapon special, hover your mouse over it in the attack listing on the right and you'll get a description.
iridium137

Post by iridium137 »

Am I the only one who finds the RPG system way too overcomplicated? There's hundreds of different items in eight different categories. Right from the very first mission, you get items that boost stats by weird percentages and have like 2-3 effects each, a lot of which are new. Why can't we start with something simple, like +2 damage and that's it?
white_haired_uncle

iridium137 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 5:14 am Am I the only one who finds the RPG system way too overcomplicated? There's hundreds of different items in eight different categories. Right from the very first mission, you get items that boost stats by weird percentages and have like 2-3 effects each, a lot of which are new. Why can't we start with something simple, like +2 damage and that's it?
It is very complicated. Way too complicated for my taste.

But that's okay. The campaign is totally playable without getting too bogged down trying to micromanage equipment. If you don't want to get into the details, don't. Just equip your units with whatever you find, being careful to avoid certain negatives. And note that this approach will make later chapters harder (bosses with 1000 HP that heal quickly are a lot easier to deal with when you have properly equipped units that can do several hundred damage in one turn), so you may want to play on a lower difficulty than you're used to.

Even though I don't take full advantage of it, I'm glad it's so complicated. I can come back again and again and try new ways of playing. I can't really say that about the usual elves vs trolls in a cave.
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

What were you exactly doing in that scenario? There are more ways to finish that one.
I just killed the Lich. Also I got this <Invalind WML found> unknown conditional wml: [set_variable] (65536) when I started the first blow
white_haired_uncle

It would be nice to see XP included in Unit Information. Once I get over 1000, I haven't found a way to see how much I need to level up except when attempting an attack. All I can see is something like "1234/2..."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 12th, 2019, 11:03 pm It says:

NAME (INTENSITY) – leadership
Its name also depends on the specific instance of the ability. The script couldn't handle it.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 amFirst, more praise for @Dugi et al. Both the gameplay and community support are fantastic. Came because of the hint to google monolith buttons at the end of ch 5. Now on ch 6 Misguiding Lives. BfW 1.14.5 LotI 3.2.2 on MacOS 10.11.3
I am glad you liked it. Btw, that thing written on the monolith wasn't suggesting any googling.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Uncertain if I should update LotI add on frequently like during development circa v3.0? I do use debug sometimes, but since starting part II I've refrained from changing anything but HP and MP. (And creating a couple of Fire Guardians once). Concerned my cheating may have caused any bugs... or would do so in future releases.
A lot of changes are being done right now, so if you find your version stable enough, you might not want to update yet.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Some AMLA advancements don't appear to do anything, especially Soul Eater advancements in part I, and any that offer abilities like attack more than once per turn, and frequently ones that offered things like cleave or whirlwind. Hit and run doesn't work either- Elvish Griffon Rider didn't get MP after attacks. This was all in part 1.
That is strange. The Soul Eater advancements should add new advancement groups to be taken when advancing, not making any upgrades instantly. Is this the case?
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Also saw the permanent incinerate tint bug somewhere in part 1.
That has been fixed some time ago, but it's probably beta-only at the moment.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Can we have some way to mark unit icons please? I'd like a way to mark or distinguish individuals in groups of identical units without having to mouse over them. I would use them to designate squad leaders, units with modified attack types (e.g. Cold or flame) etc. Ideally I'd like to display a short string of text below the unit, but something as primitive as one of a list of user selectable symbols (lucky charms!) would be useful.
It should be doable, even those texts below them, although they would be restricted to some short length (5 letters or so). What do you other guys think?
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am I have ideas about new units, new traits and abilities, and inventory systems but those may be zombie topics by now...
Go ahead. Three new units were added last Halloween and 15 new items were added at Newton's birthday.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Anyone ever express any love for Nethack yet in this thread? It inspired Diablo, which istr partly inspired loti. It has a nifty inventory system that uses only an ascii interface... And has LOTS of ideas for units, items, plots, etc. And it's open source, and has been for decades so the code can be inspected.
I am too young for such things. When I was grown up enough for games like these, Diablo II was already a legend.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Again thanks for ruining vanilla BfW for me. Your campaigns really added a depth that will be hard to do without.
:lol:
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am PS: please don't make me manage any more battles with 250 units like the ones at the end of ch 4. [I did get very good at organizing a randomly placed gross of skeletons and zombies into squads and platoons and deploying them across terrain effectively... and with all of the flying Letty doppelgängers (spawned when she was wielding the Zealous Axe) flitting about, spinning Zeal auras like so many Vietnam War era Hueys, I was humming Ride of the Valkries... but I don't need to repeat it. ]
There shouldn't be any more such large battles after chapter 4.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am PPS: [edit] Has the idea of attacks with range >1 hex arisen? Or true support for air units (co-occupy hex above a land unit)? This would open up combined arms tactics like those possible in an old school SSI war game like Panzer General or Fantasy General.
That feature was added into the game quite recently. I didn't want to implement it before because it would be impractical to use. But at this time, some attacks could get some extra range, although I would change only a few attacks this way, otherwise it would be very unbalancing.

iridium137 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 5:14 am Am I the only one who finds the RPG system way too overcomplicated?
It's not complicated. If you think it's complicated, try a game called Path of Exile, that one has complicated items.
StellarStar wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:42 pm What were you exactly doing in that scenario? There are more ways to finish that one.
I just killed the Lich. Also I got this <Invalind WML found> unknown conditional wml: [set_variable] (65536) when I started the first blow
I have fixed the first issue. As for the problem in The First Blow, can you please provide a save file from the beginning of the scenario where the error message appears when it's loaded?
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm It would be nice to see XP included in Unit Information. Once I get over 1000, I haven't found a way to see how much I need to level up except when attempting an attack. All I can see is something like "1234/2..."
It should show if you hover your mouse over it.
white_haired_uncle

Dugi wrote: February 13th, 2019, 10:34 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm It would be nice to see XP included in Unit Information. Once I get over 1000, I haven't found a way to see how much I need to level up except when attempting an attack. All I can see is something like "1234/2..."
It should show if you hover your mouse over it.
If I hover the mouse over it it shows "Experience modifier: XX%". IMO, this is really a BFW problem, but if you have easy access to the data and could put it in Unit Information that would be helpful.
bughunter

Post by bughunter »

Dugi wrote: February 13th, 2019, 10:34 pm
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am because of the hint to google monolith buttons at the end of ch 5.
I am glad you liked it. Btw, that thing written on the monolith wasn't suggesting any googling.
Sorry, it was the walkthrough hint for the one in Akira's Place
A lot of changes are being done right now, so if you find your version stable enough, you might not want to update yet.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Some AMLA advancements don't appear to do anything, especially Soul Eater advancements in part I, and any that offer abilities like attack more than once per turn, and frequently ones that offered things like cleave or whirlwind. Hit and run doesn't work either- Elvish Griffon Rider didn't get MP after attacks. This was all in part 1.
That is strange. The Soul Eater advancements should add new advancement groups to be taken when advancing, not making any upgrades instantly. Is this the case?
They do. The abilities they supposedly endow don't show up in play or on the unit's stats. Like cleave and hit and run, etc as mentioned.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Can we have some way to mark unit icons please? I'd like a way to mark or distinguish individuals in groups of identical units without having to mouse over them.
It should be doable, even those texts below them, although they would be restricted to some short length (5 letters or so). What do you other guys think?
Five chars is plenty. Can even go three if aesthetic demands.
Three new units were added last Halloween and 15 new items were added at Newton's birthday.
I'll finish the notes I have now and post them after this reply thread dies.
I am too young for such things. When I was grown up enough for games like these, Diablo II was already a legend.
If you play nothing else, play Fantasy General. It can inspire plot/scenario ideas in addition to gameplay ideas. GoG has it for windows using a DosBOX wrapper for like $8. (Last time I got it to work I had a CD, and used DosBOX for Mac.) That engine was the pinnacle of PC wargaming. Too bad it didn't find a wider market. But it had to compete with eye candy games suddenly enabled by new, cheap, powerful video cards and suddenly things like balance and challenge and deep thinking became unpopular for a while. Nethack is very cool too but more RPG like Diablo. Hardcore.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am Again thanks for ruining vanilla BfW for me. Your campaigns really added a depth that will be hard to do without.
:lol:
LotI also taught me a lot about many different tactics, and also gave me an appreciation for playing undead. Most lessons are useful even in vanilla. I've been schooled. :geek:
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 11:31 pm If I hover the mouse over it it shows "Experience modifier: XX%". IMO, this is really a BFW problem, but if you have easy access to the data and could put it in Unit Information that would be helpful.
@Dugi Can you add the modified terrain cost and defense data too? If it's easy. That would put everything in one place so we don't have to click around so much. I mean, if you're gonna edit that code anyway...
"Is this going to be a stand up fight, sir, or just another bug hunt?"
--Pvt Hudson (Aliens)
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

I hope this works
Attachments
LotI1-The First Blow.gz
Hope this helps
(280.51 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 11:31 pmIf I hover the mouse over it it shows "Experience modifier: XX%". IMO, this is really a BFW problem, but if you have easy access to the data and could put it in Unit Information that would be helpful.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am @Dugi Can you add the modified terrain cost and defense data too? If it's easy. That would put everything in one place so we don't have to click around so much. I mean, if you're gonna edit that code anyway...
I have added all of them.
bughunter wrote: February 14th, 2019, 1:08 am Sorry, it was the walkthrough hint for the one in Akira's Place
It meant that you should google that sentence. It means My hovercraft is full of eels in some language I don't understand, so it's nonsense and the winning combination is the option to yell that it makes no sense.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am They do. The abilities they supposedly endow don't show up in play or on the unit's stats. Like cleave and hit and run, etc as mentioned.
Can you please upload a save file where it happens?
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 amFive chars is plenty. Can even go three if aesthetic demands.
The game has an image consisting of small letters and 5 or 6 fit into the maximum width of unit overlays (those icons around the unit).
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am If you play nothing else, play Fantasy General. It can inspire plot/scenario ideas in addition to gameplay ideas. GoG has it for windows using a DosBOX wrapper for like $8. (Last time I got it to work I had a CD, and used DosBOX for Mac.) That engine was the pinnacle of PC wargaming. Too bad it didn't find a wider market. But it had to compete with eye candy games suddenly enabled by new, cheap, powerful video cards and suddenly things like balance and challenge and deep thinking became unpopular for a while. Nethack is very cool too but more RPG like Diablo. Hardcore.
I will consider it, but I am a Linux user and Mac or Windows ports are not as useful to me.
StellarStar wrote: February 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm I hope this works
edwardspec managed to fix it.
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

I got <Lua> Repeated [endlevel] execution, ignoring again after I killed Akula in We walk in the shadows Also I guess the units that you recall in chapter 4 will not be able to be summoned again in chapter 5. Why is it that some level 3 units can be recalled instead of some level 4 units? What are the criterias?
white_haired_uncle

Dugi wrote: February 14th, 2019, 10:44 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 11:31 pmIf I hover the mouse over it it shows "Experience modifier: XX%". IMO, this is really a BFW problem, but if you have easy access to the data and could put it in Unit Information that would be helpful.
bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am @Dugi Can you add the modified terrain cost and defense data too? If it's easy. That would put everything in one place so we don't have to click around so much. I mean, if you're gonna edit that code anyway...
I have added all of them.

bughunter wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:27 am If you play nothing else, play Fantasy General. It can inspire plot/scenario ideas in addition to gameplay ideas. GoG has it for windows using a DosBOX wrapper for like $8. (Last time I got it to work I had a CD, and used DosBOX for Mac.) That engine was the pinnacle of PC wargaming. Too bad it didn't find a wider market. But it had to compete with eye candy games suddenly enabled by new, cheap, powerful video cards and suddenly things like balance and challenge and deep thinking became unpopular for a while. Nethack is very cool too but more RPG like Diablo. Hardcore.
I will consider it, but I am a Linux user and Mac or Windows ports are not as useful to me.
Thank you.

We have dosbox for Linux. We also have KVM/libvirtd and any Linux user that doesn't take advantage of that is missing out IMO.

I don't think I really understand the penetration value. My assumption is it's the same as "reduces enemy resistances"? Anyway, in the attached, Tadae-lorad (36.61 in the autosave) levels up and I choose 'breathing fire faster / better fire penetration'. I don't see the fire penetration attribute change. 3.2.4.78.g2a1e4f5.

This may not be a LOTI specific question, but while I'm thinking about it, where does lightning fit in with resistance/penetration?
Attachments
LotI2-Sepulcher of the Nefarious Turn 2.gz
(744.98 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
LotI2-Sepulcher of the Nefarious-Auto-Save2.gz
(742.09 KiB) Downloaded 224 times