Cant log in wesnoth official server

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Anav

Cant log in wesnoth official server

Post by Anav »

Cant log in to official server. I was able to earlier but its keeps giving me this screen...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190210-160304_Battle for Wesnoth.jpg
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Cant log in wesnoth official server

Post by Ravana »

Based on message you wrote \n (newline) as part of username.
Anav

Post by Anav »

I dont understand.

It is now saying again my password is wrong. What is going on?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Anav wrote: February 11th, 2019, 7:01 am I dont understand.

It is now saying again my password is wrong. What is going on?
Are you typing your username/password manually, or are you pasting them in from somewhere?

In the error message you posted a screenshot of, it says your username was entered as:

Code: Select all

'Anav
'
The newline Ravana mentioned is the reason why the second single quote(') is on the second line. I doubt you intentionally somehow added that newline, so my guess is it came from somewhere else. I know that Microsoft Word will automatically include the newline when highlighting the last word of a line of text, for example.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The username and password fields could be changed to strip trailing newlines..
Anav

Post by Anav »

Oh wierd. I have it typed Anav now, but is still saying my password incorrect. I know my password. Should I reset it?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Anav wrote: February 11th, 2019, 2:48 pm Oh wierd. I have it typed Anav now, but is still saying my password incorrect. I know my password. Should I reset it?
It's worth a try, I suppose.
josteph wrote: February 11th, 2019, 1:29 pm The username and password fields could be changed to strip trailing newlines..
Is it possible for password managers to generate passwords with the newline character in it? That'd be my only concern with that. Usernames could also probably strip off all whitespace.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I would expect my password manger to store exactly whatever I put into the UI element. For modern web applications, I would expect that to be any valid UTF-8 string (or UCS-2 or -4, or whatever the platform uses for character encoding). That would go for username as well as password. The password manager should be a liberal as possible; restrictions should be up to the application and UI.

I use cut-and-paste often and occasionally make the same mistake as the OP. But I don't think I would expect the application designer to make allowances for my mistakes. I do like systems which warn about Caps Lock.

Rather than modify the user's input, I would special-case the OP's message to add a note about the trailing newline ("Did you mean to start a new line at the end of your user name?") But I would not disallow it, in case the correct entry should have been "Anab\n" instead of "Anav\n".
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

the added newline at the end of the name is iirc a known issue of the android port.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I didn’t even realize our rudimentary textboxes accepted line breaks. The resulting display when you have a leading line break is quite interesting, to say the least. (If you don’t want to do the experiment yourself, everything after the leading line break becomes invisible but it’s still there.)
Pentarctagon wrote: February 12th, 2019, 12:29 am Is it possible for password managers to generate passwords with the newline character in it? That'd be my only concern with that. Usernames could also probably strip off all whitespace.
I don’t know about password managers, but it is possible to get passwords with line breaks into the phpBB registration form nevertheless, and it will happily accept them, so I’ve decided to fix the username case only and leave the password case as-is to avoid accidentally locking out people who see the ability to use semi-invisible characters in passwords as a feature (noting that this isn’t the place to have that debate).

(See commit 58d44284e0c4371f8b0f0ffc9fcdea00a4717022.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anav

Post by Anav »

How do I fix my account and sign in?
Anav

Post by Anav »

?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I could try resetting your password and logging in using your account, if that's alright, and see what happens. Otherwise my only guess is that perhaps you ended up with a newline or some other invisible character at the end of your password as well.
Anav

Post by Anav »

If you could reset it that would be great and see if I can log in
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Anav wrote: February 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm If you could reset it that would be great and see if I can log in
I have changed the password, and have confirmed that I can login to the MP server with it. The new password has been emailed to you.