Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Ford

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Ford »

I finally completed this awesome campaign. Here are few more thoughts and issues:
-demons killed in unusual ways (like explosive, parry, redeem; although in redeem case I think it makes sense) do not become black souls. And if you kill the first demon in scenario this way he will still say the line about "seeing greater truth" or something like this despite no black soul being spawned
-when i advanced Dwarvish Thunderer (I got him at the beginning of Chapter 10) to level 4, I had two identical options of advancing to technocrat
-Lethalia lost all items and advancements when she appaered in End of the World (Efraim didn't). Not really important, as she doesn't fight in this scenario anyway
-Also in End of the World, each enemy side has two leaders with same name and unit type: one human, and one black souls. And for some reason human one is classified as black soul despite having all properties of a human (and the other way around too). Not really important, just looks strange.
-I think Foul Pits is a bit too hard. There is a lot of enemies, and many of them have very powerful temptation. My army got stuck near the enemy leader, and blood rain kept falling on it, so it was soon unable to make any proper offensive. I only managed to win because enemy leader left his keep and it allowed Efraim to recall battlerager, who with some support was able to kill leader in one turn, and Duelist mage, who thanks to teleportation was able to get to the exit. And I still had to use a lot of potions and save loading. I'm not especially good strategist, so maybe I just used wrong strategy, but I don't think I had as much trouble wth any other scenario in Chapter 9. (I was playing on medium).
Beginning of Chapter 10 was also very hard, although i think in this case it's intentional. I eventually switched to easy difficulty in third scenario, but I think I could do it on medium if I tried hard enough and sacrificed a lot of units, but I wasn't patient enough to keep trying on medium.
And most importantly, thanks for making this great campaign.
dabber

Post by dabber »

* I've put some fixes into End of the World on github this past week. I never saw the leaders be duplicated though. Generally I'd like to make the scenario significantly harder, as I found it nearly trivial, but I didn't submit that set of changes.
* I would like to see the blood rain come a little later in Foul Pits and Last Crusade, just because the terrain is so tough, but that's kinda minor. If you make a unit (or team of units) specifically for killing demon lords, they aren't so tough. Leaving random unit near the exit is a good idea.
* The start of chapter 10 is super hard. Crafting equipment makes a massive difference. Once you get some equipment and some levels the later scenarios get easier.
DongpanX

Post by DongpanX »

Is anyone experience massive lag in the first chapter of part 2 ep4-5 idk where we need to reach the top of the map to best it cuz I can’t even play the game idk if the game or the map which lag out my frame and CPU? Any solution?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Konrad2 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Dugi wrote: January 29th, 2019, 5:56 pm ...
I'd love to see this.
Just download the beta from the server.
Ford wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm -demons killed in unusual ways (like explosive, parry, redeem; although in redeem case I think it makes sense) do not become black souls. And if you kill the first demon in scenario this way he will still say the line about "seeing greater truth" or something like this despite no black soul being spawned
This looks more like some weird interaction preventing the rise of black souls. The one dialogue line is supposed to happen under the same conditions, but only once (otherwise it would be annoying). Here is the issue entry: https://github.com/Dugy/Legend_of_the_I ... issues/247
Ford wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm -when i advanced Dwarvish Thunderer (I got him at the beginning of Chapter 10) to level 4, I had two identical options of advancing to technocrat
This is typically a consequence of using debug mode carelessly. If it's not the case, the advancement itself certainly didn't trigger it, it was probably something that happened to him before. Any idea what could it be?
Ford wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm -Lethalia lost all items and advancements when she appaered in End of the World (Efraim didn't). Not really important, as she doesn't fight in this scenario anyway
Do you have a save file? Although it's probably a consequence of something that happened long before.
Ford wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm -I think Foul Pits is a bit too hard. There is a lot of enemies, and many of them have very powerful temptation. My army got stuck near the enemy leader, and blood rain kept falling on it, so it was soon unable to make any proper offensive. I only managed to win because enemy leader left his keep and it allowed Efraim to recall battlerager, who with some support was able to kill leader in one turn, and Duelist mage, who thanks to teleportation was able to get to the exit. And I still had to use a lot of potions and save loading. I'm not especially good strategist, so maybe I just used wrong strategy, but I don't think I had as much trouble wth any other scenario in Chapter 9. (I was playing on medium).
Delaying the blood rain is rather hard to implement, maybe I could reduce the quantity of enemies instead?
Ford wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm Beginning of Chapter 10 was also very hard, although i think in this case it's intentional. I eventually switched to easy difficulty in third scenario, but I think I could do it on medium if I tried hard enough and sacrificed a lot of units, but I wasn't patient enough to keep trying on medium.
dabber wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:53 pm * The start of chapter 10 is super hard. Crafting equipment makes a massive difference. Once you get some equipment and some levels the later scenarios get easier.
Preventing the gems from being carried over is one of the planned changes. Maybe I could increase the number of starting items?
DongpanX wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:57 pm Is anyone experience massive lag in the first chapter of part 2 ep4-5 idk where we need to reach the top of the map to best it cuz I can’t even play the game idk if the game or the map which lag out my frame and CPU? Any solution?
Do you happen to have a save file where the lags can be replicated?
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dabber wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm Coloring of item effects needs better consistency. What should it be?
Set bonuses are purple.
Improvements to resistance are blue. I think any "defensive type" bonus should be blue. So I would change dodge from green to blue.
New abilities are currently blue. I think they should have their own color - orange? I would make weapon specials the same new color.
Improvements to damage output are currently green. That includes damage, attacks, spell damage, and resistance penetrations. Also changing damage type. Devastating blow, suck and spell suck are currently blue, but I think they should change to green.
I'd like to give movement modifications, in any form, another new color too.

I'll throw something onto github.
I think the set bonuses should change color when active. Basically, potential bonuses stay purple, active bonuses turn to whatever color they would have for the appropriate bonus type if they weren't part of a set.

Icons might help as well for people who have limited color vision.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
DongpanX

Post by DongpanX »

@dugi

here the problem when i play this ep with 1.14 wesnoth build with my computer for no apparent reason my frame drop in this map and slow movement also here the save file
Attachments
LotI2-Across the Barren Land Turn 3.gz
(306.19 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Ford

Post by Ford »

I don't think I used debug in Chapter 10 (I used it few times throughout the campaign but always loaded save afterwards), but I don't remember anything special happening to this dwarf that could cause this issue.
About Lethalia - could it be because she (almost) died in Last Crusade? It would explain why it didn't happen to Efraim.
If you are going to prevent gems carryover in Chapter 10 then I think it should be made easier (at least few first scenarios).
Also there is one thing I forgot to mention - if black soul become incinerated, it loses it's black coloring and looks like normal human.
I am attaching save file, you can see both Lethalia losing everything and duplicated enemy leaders there.
Attachments
LotI2-End of the World.gz
(507.25 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

I remember playing this add-on years ago, and having the fugitive become a davidian instead of the shadow prince. Also it having 12 chapters separate and not bundled into 2 massive ones. Why did you change this? Also how long do the potions last?
Last edited by StellarStar on February 3rd, 2019, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white_haired_uncle

When Lethalia has the Conical Fairie Fire, her attacks almost always default to, what seems to me, the wrong choice.

In the attached, have her (37.31) attack the assassin at 43.30. The attack will default to conical, which would cause a future damage penalty for no reason.

If instead you choose to attack the grunt at 37.26, where you might actually want to use the conical, it defaults to regular FF.
Attachments
LotI2-Across the Barren Land-Auto-Save71.gz
(489.59 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:19 am When Lethalia has the Conical Fairie Fire, her attacks almost always default to, what seems to me, the wrong choice.

In the attached, have her (37.31) attack the assassin at 43.30. The attack will default to conical, which would cause a future damage penalty for no reason.

If instead you choose to attack the grunt at 37.26, where you might actually want to use the conical, it defaults to regular FF.
The default attack is chosen by Wesnoth itself (which sees two attacks with equal damage. Wesnoth doesn't know about the penalty).
Can't really change it in the addon (except by reducing the damage of "conical faerie fire", so that it would never be default - probably shouldn't do that).
white_haired_uncle

edwardspec wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:55 am
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 3:19 am When Lethalia has the Conical Fairie Fire, her attacks almost always default to, what seems to me, the wrong choice.

The default attack is chosen by Wesnoth itself (which sees two attacks with equal damage. Wesnoth doesn't know about the penalty).
Can't really change it in the addon (except by reducing the damage of "conical faerie fire", so that it would never be default - probably shouldn't do that).
Okay, maybe it's a BFW thing. But it's almost always wrong either way (though more so when attacking a "single" unit). This makes me think there's a bug in BFW or LotI where the logic just ends up backwards.

If it was just a matter of two attacks with equal damage, I'd expect it to pick "correctly" about 50% of the time (maybe a little more or less if it defaulted to the first/last choice), or maybe 30% of the time in my case because my RNG is infested by the devil. But when it picks "correctly" (regardless of whether the first/last choice is preferable) about 5% of the time...
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You may try setting attack_weight on one of those attacks.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Ravana wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 9:24 am You may try setting attack_weight on one of those attacks.
Unfortunately the current version of Wesnoth doesn't support arbitrary attack_weight/defense_weight. (just looked at the sources)
It only recognizes two values: >0 (normal) and <= 0 (attack completely disabled).
So attack_weight=1 and attack_weight=5 have exactly the same chance of being chosen.
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

What does <Invalind WML found> [remove_event] missing required id= key mean?