Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

gwen42

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by gwen42 »

In LOTI2, it appears that whenever one of the heroes levels up during the other team's turn, their health is not restored. Not sure if that's intentional, but it sure can be annoying. :|
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Sigh. I really hate doing this, but after month of trying to force myself to continue this campaign, I simply find myself unable to do it. The campaign was pretty good up until chapter 8 began and it had a few good moments even past that, but overall got really drawn out and repetitive by the time i got to chapter 9. Not to mention frustrating. enemy turns are ridiculously drawn out, I get an enemy sighted notification every time someone moves a tile, not to mention in some areas every killed enemy will just spawn flies every turn which have a ridiculously drawn out swarm attack, and are almost impossible to kill, while others replace every enemy killed with a stronger version. I gave up halfway through and tried for force my way using debug and it was still painful. Spawning a bunch of bats to make sure I don't miss anything reveals just how much I need to go through to dealing with all this. There are also too many units with too many items to manage, and even if I give a custom name to every single one of them I still can't keep track of everything.

I wouldn't necessarily mind if I felt like there is a reason for me to keep playing, but honestly, there isn't. The story is not interesting, the characters are flat and unappealing, the writing is unbearable, and on several occasions I find myself repeatedly tapping the screen as fast as I can to skim trhough the whole thing for an entire minute. I mean am I supposed to read all of that? Well I didn't, and the funny part is, I don't think I missed anything.

It honestly feels like a shame. A lot of the maps are well put together (especially the large ones with lots of exploration that start appearing in chapter 3), so are the shorter skirmish maps, and the code with the new mechanics is great. If this was some kind of free-roaming adventure campaign with no story, It could've been awesome. I started this before 1.14 was relased, and it was really the only reason why I still had the old version of the game sitting on my device (still hoping the dragon trilogy gets ported). It's simply not worth it for me, not to mention I don't want to get sick to the stomach every time I start up Wesnoth. I'll probably download it again just to try the two standalone multiplayer maps, but the campaign itself is just too much for me. I sincerely admire the dedication of the people who finished it multiple times.

Sorry.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Well, if you want to see the rest of the fun part, I can later have a look if I still have a save file of the end of inferno - chapter 10 (the last one) is pretty fun again, as you
Spoiler:
I could send that to you, if you are interested (and it actually exists)...

Besides that, I get what you are saying - the last few times I played the campaign I always got stuck in Inferno and then stopped at some point - even with the added mechanics, it's a really long grind - and having seen it all before doesn't really make it any more bearable.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I figured that's what will happen, but I honestly don't care at this point. There are so many campaigns in the latest relase that I want to try. Rather than playing this I should've done the Dragon Trilogy, because something tells me it will not be ported any time soon, and now I got rid of the old version after the security patch was relased for android.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ford wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am I think I found a bug (I'm playing on 1.14.5 Wesnoth and 3.2.2 LotI). It seems that items that give "1 more attack" doesn't work...
Fixed on github.
Ford wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 9:16 amBy the way, I also want to say that your campaign is really great. I can't imagine how much work it required to make all these new units and features. It's really impressive.
Thanks. I have been developing it over time with long breaks, so it has not been annoyingly time-consuming.
Nostromo wrote: September 24th, 2018, 8:28 pmHere is a save game where I have unequipped everything from the recall list using the Items-Show items in Recall List-<select unit>-Unequip all sequence of menu choices. The units in the recall list are still listed as GEARED and still show the specific items and appropriate bonuses/powers/etc.
That isn't a good way to replicate it, because the units with items on the recall list have items that cannot be removed. I have removed the option to remove all items from them, as none could be removed.

However, I have noticed that some units on the recall list bore the effects of items yet they had none. These effects are bound to disappear upon levelup. I had no clear way to replicate their appearance, for there were no suitable units on the recall list.
Nostromo wrote: September 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm I somehow got a clone of Argan at the start of the Twilight scenario...
I will have a look at it.
gwen42 wrote: September 26th, 2018, 12:33 am In LOTI2, it appears that whenever one of the heroes levels up during the other team's turn, their health is not restored. Not sure if that's intentional, but it sure can be annoying. :|
Can you please give me a save file to replicate it?
BTIsaac wrote: September 27th, 2018, 7:32 am Sigh. I really hate doing this, but after month of trying to force myself to continue this campaign, I simply find myself unable to do it. The campaign was pretty good up until chapter 8 began and it had a few good moments even past that, but overall got really drawn out and repetitive by the time i got to chapter 9./quote]I might allow the player to play chapter 10 before chapter 9, because they happen in parallel anyway.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Dugi wrote: September 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm I might allow the player to play chapter 10 before chapter 9, because they happen in parallel anyway.
That could be a good idea but it won't solve the bigger problem, namely Chapter 9 itself.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

BTIsaac wrote: September 30th, 2018, 8:27 pm
Dugi wrote: September 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm...
That could be a good idea but it won't solve the bigger problem, namely Chapter 9 itself.
That is a problem with the premise. It was intended as an area where you can develop your units forever. Some players complained about not being able to continue developing units past chapter 5. So I created an area to do exactly that. It, of course, may get boring if maxing out experience and collecting all stuff in existence isn't what you seek. That is why placing it to the absolute end looks suitable.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Nostromo wrote: September 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm I somehow got a clone of Argan at the start of the Twilight scenario...
I had a look at it and I see no second Argan. Duplicates tend to disappear, so it's possible you've seen him but he wasn't recorded in the save file. Can you please upload the start scenario save file (named as something like LotI1-Twilight.gz)? That one could be used to replicate the error for me.
Luftey

Post by Luftey »

I first started this campaign several years ago, and this past weekend I finally beat it. I really enjoyed the challenge it gave me and the untold hours of fun. Thanks for putting in the time to create this!
Dugi wrote: September 30th, 2018, 11:05 pm
BTIsaac wrote: September 30th, 2018, 8:27 pm
Dugi wrote: September 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm...
That is a problem with the premise. It was intended as an area where you can develop your units forever. Some players complained about not being able to continue developing units past chapter 5. So I created an area to do exactly that. It, of course, may get boring if maxing out experience and collecting all stuff in existence isn't what you seek. That is why placing it to the absolute end looks suitable.
Chapter 9 was probably my favorite part of the campaign purely because of this. I really enjoyed building up my units, crafting gear, and making them super powerful.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

Dugi wrote: September 30th, 2018, 2:00 pm
gwen42 wrote: September 26th, 2018, 12:33 am In LOTI2, it appears that whenever one of the heroes levels up during the other team's turn, their health is not restored. Not sure if that's intentional, but it sure can be annoying. :|
Can you please give me a save file to replicate it?
I'm attaching two different saves from the same scenario. One is the autosave before, and the other is the save after the fact. I noticed this at the beginning of the campaign, but I thought it might be one of the weird mechanics of Part 2 (plus I got so into the campaign that I didn't take the time to ask :whistle: ).
LotI2-The Den of Evil-Auto-Save36.gz
(457.94 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
LotI2-The Den of Evil Turn 37.gz
(463.62 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
As usual, I'm playing on Easy on Mac OS 10.14, in Wesnoth version 1.14.5

I have not been able to keep any units alive during this scenario, other than the two heroes, and with their health not restoring after defensive upgrades, it's been tricky keeping even those two alive. (I really hope that made sense)
murphy

Post by murphy »

I have a couple writing/grammar fixes (and a couple suggestions) for the first (tutorial) scenario.
Spoiler:
iridium137

Post by iridium137 »

Loyal doesn't seem to work when it's randomly generated on a recruited unit.
I can't pick up items the enemy leader drops because the scenario ends.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

iridium137 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 5:00 amI can't pick up items the enemy leader drops because the scenario ends.
Those are automatically added to your inventory.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Related to this thread, I don't get a crash, but this error instead:

Code: Select all

20181014 05:27:54 error scripting/lua: In function lua_kernel::run(): Lua Error:
  When executing, Lua runtime error: [string "..."]:4: bad argument #-1 to 'dofile' (file not found)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in field 'dofile'
	[string "..."]:4: in main chunk
20181014 05:27:55 error scripting/lua: lua/core.lua:425: [wc2_dropping] not supported at scenario toplevel
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '.error'
	lua/core.lua:425: in function <lua/core.lua:413>
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

Sup, didn't play wesnoth in a while and now i am coming back to the classic runs.
Is this campaign still very unbalanced on the last chapters? back in the day i remembered i had to cheat to get through it.