Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Fluffy024

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Fluffy024 »

No worries, I’m almost as far in my redo as I was when I started (and I got winged ax on the redo, which is pretty sweet).

And if I’m mistaken about how easy the fix would be, then it’s definitely not worth the trouble.

Thanks for making a campaign good enough for me to be a (hopefully mild) pain in the ass about parts of it, and I look forward to getting the newer Wesnoth at some point so I can play the more up-to-date version (I actually really like that new AOE mechanic idea, and saw on some of the wiki’s for this that there’s a few new craftables and such).

Thanks for all the work you’ve put in.
Catalpa112358

Post by Catalpa112358 »

Like another person who recently posted, I created an account to mainly say "Thank you" to Dugi and others involved in the LotI add-on. I have been playing Wesnoth for years, and I really enjoy taking a character through many scenarios and leveling him/her up. When I saw the number of scenarios in LotI, I thought it must be a typo. Then, I read about the many items and AMLA options and tried the game, and I'm hooked. Well done!

I had some questions about gameplay that I hope are appropriate for this long thread... I apologize if these are already answered. There are many replies here, and I tried to do a few searches before adding these questions:

1) I'm playing it on easy now, and I'm thinking of restarting on medium for more of a challenge. I generally like to play with one of each unit type (three spearmen to be leveled up to one each of the javelin user, the swordsman, and the pikeman, for example, or just one heavy infantry to take that character path). Do you think this is feasible for the long game? Or, should I be trying to cultivate several of each kind? I did add another javelin user mid-game when I found a great, second javelin/spear to use.

2) There are some levels where I can't keep all of the zombies that I create. But, they will stay in my recall list if I equip them with something. Is that right?

3) When a unit dies and has equipment, does it get lost? I haven't been paying attention to that, sorry.

4) Some of the potions have one-time effects and others have long-lasting/permanent effects, is that right?

5) Has somebody compiled the new units that are available? For example, the fencer can advance to two different kinds of advanced units, but in the core game they only have one path. The magic knight pathway is new to this add-on, I think?

6) Do you suggest saving the weapons and armor and other items that I'm not using? I've been saving them in case I get new units, but I wonder if I'm missing out on creating gems for crafting.

By the way, the item names and descriptions are really fun to read. Good sense of humor. Some of them have names and descriptions which hint at their history or lore behind them. Well done!

Lastly, is anyone else making such amibitious add-ons as this?

Thank-you, everyone.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Disclaimer: I haven't played LotI for quite a while, though I have finished it multiple times on various versions and difficulties:
Catalpa112358 wrote: September 11th, 2018, 12:30 am1) I'm playing it on easy now, and I'm thinking of restarting on medium for more of a challenge. I generally like to play with one of each unit type (three spearmen to be leveled up to one each of the javelin user, the swordsman, and the pikeman, for example, or just one heavy infantry to take that character path). Do you think this is feasible for the long game? Or, should I be trying to cultivate several of each kind? I did add another javelin user mid-game when I found a great, second javelin/spear to use.

2) There are some levels where I can't keep all of the zombies that I create. But, they will stay in my recall list if I equip them with something. Is that right?

3) When a unit dies and has equipment, does it get lost? I haven't been paying attention to that, sorry.

4) Some of the potions have one-time effects and others have long-lasting/permanent effects, is that right?

5) Has somebody compiled the new units that are available? For example, the fencer can advance to two different kinds of advanced units, but in the core game they only have one path. The magic knight pathway is new to this add-on, I think?

6) Do you suggest saving the weapons and armor and other items that I'm not using? I've been saving them in case I get new units, but I wonder if I'm missing out on creating gems for crafting.

Lastly, is anyone else making such amibitious add-ons as this?
1) Regarding difficulty: You can change the difficulty when loading the start of a scenario. Therefore, you wouldn't need to completely start from 0. However, keep in mind, that in LotI some items have different stats depending on difficulty (weaker on higher difficulties). All items still equipped while you change difficulty will remain in their old state unless un- and reequipped. The same is true if items are changed in an update of the campaign which is applied while you play through it (changes only apply when a new scenario is started, not in mid-scenario saves).

2) no idea. The zombie deletion in general is meant to keep your recall list somewhat manageable, it can get reaaaly long in this campaign.

3) yes.

4) potions keep their effect until level-up. This means they stay active between scenarios (though I'm not sure on this one, as I said, it's been quite some time) and are more useful very late in the game, when you have to get thousands of experience for the next AMLA. Also, I think, a unit can only ever have one potion active at a time, so chugging another one will override the effects of the first.

5) Here you go, this should include most units. If not, check the other LotI-entries under "campaign". However, keep in mind that the database lists all units, so some of the special units might give you story spoilers.

6) My strategy was always to destroy the crappy gear I will never use (like iron armor) and keep good items until a certain number (if I have 3 leather armor in the bank, I probably don't need another one). Later on, leather armor will switch from useful status to instant destroy also, it always depends on how far in the campaign you are.

Last) To my knowledge: not of this kind. There are some campaigns that do really big world-building stuff (like Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm) or awesome things with the graphics (To Lands Unknown), and a lot of the newer campaigns use items and AMLAs (check, e.g., Kwandulins campaigns), but never close to the scale of LotI.

Edit: forgot to answer your actual first question - in my experience, you can make almost any unit in LotI work and which units are good really depends on your playstyle and the items you have. Squads of certain mobile units can, e.g., be really valuable (like the Celestial Messenger), but none of that is necessary. I'd recommend getting multiple Faerie Incarnations, but otherwise I mostly stuck to the one-unit-of-a-kind playstyle too.
Only as a word of warning: You will have enough options that having a unit of every type later on will be almost impossible to manage (as a unit without good items will have cannon fodder status at later points and there are simply too much options), so I'd advise you to retire some units if you feel like they are not as much fun or not as strong as others you have at some point, or you don't have enough items for all of them. I'd recommend running a squad of somewhere between 10-20 units (heroes not counting) as an endgame.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Catalpa112358

Post by Catalpa112358 »

Whiskeyjack wrote: September 11th, 2018, 12:13 pm Disclaimer: I haven't played LotI for quite a while, though I have finished it multiple times on various versions and difficulties:
Your answers sound like they still apply to this version, from what I know. Thank-you so much for the helpful information. In honor of your fine answers, I will name one of my units after you! :-) I'm thinking my javelineer could be "Whiskey Jav"!

I think I have one final question for you or anyone else who can answer...

When I have a book, such as the book of fireballs, do I just keep it in my inventory so that somebody can use it once they AMLA? Or, does the unit that I want the book to apply to have to "read" or equip it before they AMLA so that it will populate as one of the options when they hit their first AMLA?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Catalpa112358 wrote: September 11th, 2018, 2:32 pm When I have a book, such as the book of fireballs, do I just keep it in my inventory so that somebody can use it once they AMLA? Or, does the unit that I want the book to apply to have to "read" or equip it before they AMLA so that it will populate as one of the options when they hit their first AMLA?
Reading a book basically unlocks additional A(fter) M(aximum) L(evel) A(advancment)s.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fluffy024 wrote: September 6th, 2018, 11:30 pmAnd if I’m mistaken about how easy the fix would be, then it’s definitely not worth the trouble.
I have added it to the issues list, maybe I will once feel like doing that.
Whiskeyjack wrote: September 11th, 2018, 12:13 pm2) There are some levels where I can't keep all of the zombies that I create. But, they will stay in my recall list if I equip them with something. Is that right
Zombies vanish if and only if they have no items. Experience does not matter. There used to be so many zombies on the recall list that they were noticeably slowing the game. Also, the recall list was really messy.

Catalpa112358 wrote: September 11th, 2018, 12:30 am4) potions keep their effect until level-up. This means they stay active between scenarios (though I'm not sure on this one, as I said, it's been quite some time) and are more useful very late in the game, when you have to get thousands of experience for the next AMLA. Also, I think, a unit can only ever have one potion active at a time, so chugging another one will override the effects of the first.
Potions' effects do vanish on level-up, but you can take any number of potions with the same unit and the effects will stack.
Catalpa112358 wrote: September 11th, 2018, 2:32 pmWhen I have a book, such as the book of fireballs, do I just keep it in my inventory so that somebody can use it once they AMLA? Or, does the unit that I want the book to apply to have to "read" or equip it before they AMLA so that it will populate as one of the options when they hit their first AMLA?
Also, the book can be read only by one unit due to copyrights and need to revise from time to time.

EDIT: By the way, I have fix the bug reported about two weeks ago that prevented the murderlust ability from activating when the unit was killed by the parry weapon special. This might affect the behaviour of soul eater when using attacks with an area of effect. The change is currently github-only.

EDIT #2: The most recent report of a unit being marked as GEARED while wearing nothing was under the effect of Potion of Speed. And she even had the potion effect icon left-up from her.
Zarkussell

Post by Zarkussell »

Hello,

I have recently gotten back in to this campaign (by far the best campaign I've ever found). I have completed most of the first 8 chapters but I have discovered I may have relied too much on Philip in chapters 7&8 (the loyal fencer you get if you play with Lethalia in Chapter 7), and my undead in chapter 7. Until recently Philip was able to singlehandedly wipe out entire scenarios, so it made it easy to pile exp on him while I just leveled up redeem with Lethalia and Efraim. However, on the scenario Den of Evil I am unable to get to the middle. So I have considered trying debug mode to push past it. However, I play on my iphone, and I can not figure out a way to activate debug mode. Tonight, I went and bought a bluetooth keyboard thinking this would work if I connect it to my phone. But even so, the app will not recognize the keyboard (though all other applications seem to). Is there some work-around? Or am I just needing to go back to mid-chapter 7 and level units differently? If there is a work-around that would be much preferred, but either result is fine.

Thank you for still maintaining this campaign, and making it as amazing as it is!

Edit: In case anyone wants the build of the Philip I am running so far, it is the following:

Arquebus crossbow (marksman, 25 % increase to damage and 55% increase to # of attacks)
Mountain Trek Boots (5% boost to physical resistances/cold, faster movement on hills/mountains, and 2 more movement)
Drainglove Gauntletes: (5% boost to physical resistances, sucks 1 hp per hit, absorb (1))
Cloak of Burning Retribution: (Damage increased by 1, resist fire 15%, gives retribution ability)
Ice Armour of Health (20% increase to physical resistances, resist cold 30%, 5 more hitpoints/level)
Doombringer Sword (70% increase in Damage, 20% more attacks, sucks 3 health per hit, gives weapon specials: disintegrate & slows, resist blade 10%)
Tears of the Dead Amulet: (sucks 2 health per hit, enemy resistance to arcane -10%, increases magical dmg by 10%, immune to drain, resist arcane 10%)
Murderlust Helm (crafted): Increases physical resistances 20%, resist cold 5%, Gives abilities: murderlust & penetrates)
Ring of Deathaura: Enemy resistances to arcane -10%, Increases magical damage by 5%, Resist cold 20%, Gives ability: Deathaura)

Total resistances for Philip with this build (and my AMLAs) are as follows: Arcane:30% Blade 20% Cold 60% Fire 15% Impact 0% Pierce 20% Max Hp currently is 152

Attacks: Doombringer Sword (18-9 Disintegrate, Slows)
Arquebus (38-1, Poison, Marksman)
Shadow Wave (15-6 magical, backstab)
Parry (20-4 disintegrate, slows, parry)
Whirlwind (18-6 disintegrate, slows, magical, whirlwind)

The thing that made this so self-sustaining until now, where the computer just suicides an endless amount of units in to Philip with ranged attacks was that for every time I hit something with a melee attack Phillip healed 6 hp, and he recovered 1 every time he got hit. In addition to this each time I killed someone with Philip, he gained 8 more hp from the murderlust ability. So every time he got attacked he had the chance to heal 62 hp. (6*9+8).

Thanks,
Zark
Nostromo

gear glitch/hack

Post by Nostromo »

Hi Dugi,

First of all: wikkid awesome work on this epic. Thank you!

The issue I noticed is as follows, and apologies if it has surfaced already; this forum is kinda big. ;)

When you start a new scenario you can bring up the complete list of items in the recall list. I do this before I recall anyone, so I get a list of every single item I own.
Sometimes the conditions in the scenario have me wanting to change the gear on my leaders, so I'll select the appropriate units in the recall list and Unequip all, which puts their stuff into the Gear List. I can then unequip items from my leaders and replace with the items taken from the as-yet-unrecalled units in the recall list. So far so good.

However, those units are still show as being Geared when I am scrolling through the Recall List. When I recall them, their attacks and resistances etc are all still exactly the same as if they were still wearing the gear that I had unequipped into the Gear List before recalling them. It shows the correct names of the items and the little icons. However, when I check the Items for that recalled unit, it shows them as carrying nothing.

If I leave them alone, then I can basically unequip all the units in my recall list, equip their gear onto other units, recall the "unequipped" units and wind up with effectively 2 copies of my entire gear inventory.

I felt guilty doing this, so after a bit of experimentation I found that if you click on Unequip all items on one of the faux-Geared recall units after you've recalled them, they revert to the correct un-Geared status. No Gear items are added to the List when doing this, so it's a quick self-administered fix.

Let me know if you need screenshots.

thanks
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

That problem is around since unequip all was first introduced (though I think there recently was a fix attempted - which might be why your workaround works at all). If you do not want to "cheat" this way, you can simply equip the units with a new item after recalling as another workaround - their stats are then correctly adjusted, they will only stay with the old stats so long as nothing with their inventory is changed.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Zarkussell
I don't know. I don't have an iPhone and I never had one. You can ask on the thread for iPhone, but it's unmaintained, so the port's author will not reply.

@Nostromo
I am glad you like it.

So far, it seems problem with units retaining the geared trait is not a bug. It's because they are under effect of potions that are not visible in the unequip list. They should have little flaming swords in the top left corner.

If you observe something else, please upload a save file, so far I could not replicate such errors.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have implemented the unit titles because the poll suggested you guys want it. If anyone wants to know the math behind it, you may ask. I have published it to github only so far, I will upload it to the server once I am sure there are no leftover bugs. Please report if:
  • A unit receives a completely ill-fitting title
  • A title is too common
  • A unit receives a title when it doesn't fit the story (Lethalia, ...)
  • An error is shown (please screenshot it if it's too long to be remembered literally)
Ford

Post by Ford »

I think I found a bug (I'm playing on 1.14.5 Wesnoth and 3.2.2 LotI). It seems that items that give "1 more attack" doesn't work. Other effects are applied correctly, but the unit doesn't get it's attacks increased. So far I tested it with Grim Butcher axe and Belzebub's Hammer. Items that give "x% more attacks" stiil work however. I'm sorry if that was reported already, but this topic is a bit too long to search through more than few pages.
By the way, I also want to say that your campaign is really great. I can't imagine how much work it required to make all these new units and features. It's really impressive.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

I finally got through the first half of this, after many updates to Wesnoth, and many years of playing this game. I really love the dynamics of this campaign - the items, the AMLA upgrades, the bonus upgrades, etc. The plot sucked me right in. Every scenario requires tight strategy, and each chapter requires a different type of strategy, so it's hard to get bored with this campaign.
Altogether, when I see "Dugi" as the name of the author of a campaign, I immediately want to try it out, because your work is excellent.
Nostromo

geared - ungeared issue - save game

Post by Nostromo »

Hi Dugi,

Here is a save game where I have unequipped everything from the recall list using the Items-Show items in Recall List-<select unit>-Unequip all sequence of menu choices. The units in the recall list are still listed as GEARED and still show the specific items and appropriate bonuses/powers/etc.
Attachments
LotI1-Twilight Turn 1.gz
save game with ungeared-geared recall units
(353.26 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Nostromo

duplicate bonus Argan

Post by Nostromo »

I somehow got a clone of Argan at the start of the Twilight scenario...
Attachments
LotI1-Twilight Turn 1-x2Argan.gz
(350.53 KiB) Downloaded 423 times