Do healing on turn 1

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
josteph
Inactive Developer

Do healing on turn 1

Post by josteph »

Healing does not happen on turn 1. Why?

Letting healing happen on turn 1 will enable small skirmish scenarios where both sides have pre-recruited units and combat occurs even on side 1 turn 1, followed by healing on side 2 turn 1. It'd be like Tactics Puzzles or some mainline scenarios such as
Spoiler:
I didn't see previous threads except https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/2374
Zap-Zarap

Re: Do healing on turn 1

Post by Zap-Zarap »

I think, healing is done at the beginning of the turn of the healer, so side 2's healer is doing healing at turn 1 (after side 1 did hit).
Maybe i'm wrong.
I like beavers.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

You're correct in one out of two. Healing does happen at the beginning of the healer's side turn, which is why two allied healers can heal a single unit at double speed, but healing never happens during turn 1, not even on side 2 turn 1.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Sounds like a bug. Side 1 (player) moves. Side 2 Turn 1 damages Side 1 (player). Side 3 Turn 1 (Player ally) should be able to heal side 1 (player).
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I am quite sure that this was originally intended, but I do agree that we should change it. we cannot change it in 1.14 though.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm pretty sure the reason is kind of twofold:

1) If the scenario starts with wounded units on the map, healing would/could happen immediately at scenario start (possibly including rest healing?), which would feel weird in side 1's case. And if side 1 doesn't get healing on turn 1, then no other side should either.

2) If you don't get income (and you shouldn't; it'd mess with starting gold), why should you get healing? They're not the same thing, but they're both part of the "stuff that happens at side turn start".

It's worth noting that you don't need to change this to have healing on turn 1; you can just simulate it with [heal_unit] and so forth. The wiki isn't explicit about whether [scenario] turn_at=2 would allow you to most easily circumvent the whole problem; if it is, then it's the trivial solution such scenarios can utilize.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I thing we should make it so that, only side 1 turn 1 doesn't get healing. For the reason. zookeeper mentioned. I don't think 'And if side 1 doesn't get healing on turn 1, then no other side should either' is really a good point, unless it's for mp balance, that's why I vote for letting income as is for now, (wounded initial units don't happen in mp)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.