Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ford

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by Ford »

I really like your campaign, it have interesting story and unusual and interesting gameplay. I played it once when it when not all scenarios were made and now I'm playing it again from the beginning.

But there is certain bug in Upper District - you can gain infinite (at least it seems so) amounts of experience by moving Aryel and Yumi to the great tree in the garden, moving back and then doing it again. Also, I know it was reported already, but I don't think anything was made with that, so I will report it again: it's impossible to recruit mages in the temple. In fact, there's not even "recruit" button in that scenario.

English is not my first language, so I hope everything I wrote is understandable.

EDIT: When examining statues in pantheon, it' said that "it is not known who else she consorts with, or how many other Guardians exist." However, one of the glyphs in library clearly says that there are ten Guardians. Is that intended? The only explanation I can see is that knowledge stored in library is restricted to mages and hidden from most of humans... but it seems weird, because no one is trying to stop faes from entering the library, there's no guards or anything, in fact, the pantheon is guarded by soldiers, and the library is not. Maybe there's something i don't understand, but it just seems weird to me.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

You could explain it by not everyone being able to use the glyphs. Basically, you have to fulfill a power and knowledge requirment for attaining this knowledge. Maybe.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Ford wrote: July 15th, 2018, 3:25 pm I really like your campaign, it have interesting story and unusual and interesting gameplay. I played it once when it when not all scenarios were made and now I'm playing it again from the beginning.

But there is certain bug in Upper District - you can gain infinite (at least it seems so) amounts of experience by moving Aryel and Yumi to the great tree in the garden, moving back and then doing it again. Also, I know it was reported already, but I don't think anything was made with that, so I will report it again: it's impossible to recruit mages in the temple. In fact, there's not even "recruit" button in that scenario.

English is not my first language, so I hope everything I wrote is understandable.

EDIT: When examining statues in pantheon, it' said that "it is not known who else she consorts with, or how many other Guardians exist." However, one of the glyphs in library clearly says that there are ten Guardians. Is that intended? The only explanation I can see is that knowledge stored in library is restricted to mages and hidden from most of humans... but it seems weird, because no one is trying to stop faes from entering the library, there's no guards or anything, in fact, the pantheon is guarded by soldiers, and the library is not. Maybe there's something i don't understand, but it just seems weird to me.
The Upper District bug has been fixed, but I haven't released it yet to the public because my directory is a mess at the moment. Again, I can recruit mages in the temple just fine (using the save from the previous report) so I really have no idea what's wrong. :hmm:

(That being said, I don't recommend recruiting magi anyway, so it's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time looking into right now. If anyone has any idea why some people may not be able to recruit in that scenario, please let me know.)

Remember that in Pantheon, what you're reading is from the humans' perspective, so they don't know that much about the Guardians. The library isn't intended to be an actual human library, it's just for convenience for you to read back over some lore if you forget something.
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thanks for the answer!
About the Temple - this is cutscene-type scenario, and when I use right-click there is only endturn button and nothing else. I have no idea why you can recruit while I can't. I'm playing on 1.14.3 wesnoth version and newest version of the mod, maybe it will help somehow.
About the library - well, now it makes sense. But when I saw library in human city, i just assumed that knowledge gathered there is actually known by humans. Probably it's not very important what some humans know and what they don't, but it may be a little confusing to some players. Maybe you could make some mage say something like "Glyphs in that library propably contain some informations, but we were never able to read it. But maybe you faeries will be able to do that?" Just a suggestion, but I think it will allow to avoid unnecessary confusion.

EDIT: I made a little bit more research and discovered that despite lack of recruit button it still possible to recruit using ctrl+r. It's a bit problematic however, because it's impossible to see how much gold you have (at least I don't see any way to check that)

EDIT 2: I just finished this campaign and it was really great. As I said already story is very good, and many scenarios have very unique style. I think it's one of the best campaigns I played.
One more bug - in Silent Night, objectives says that Aryel can recruit on adjacent tiles, but it doesn't work for me. It wasn't especially hard anyway, though.
Also, could you add some hint that starting chasm in Moonlit Night works like castle? It's probably very stupid, but I somehow didn't notice that and played whole scenario with only main characters and manifestations. I only managed to win because I used a looooot of save-and-load.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Ford wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm Thanks for the answer!
About the Temple - this is cutscene-type scenario, and when I use right-click there is only endturn button and nothing else. I have no idea why you can recruit while I can't. I'm playing on 1.14.3 wesnoth version and newest version of the mod, maybe it will help somehow.
About the library - well, now it makes sense. But when I saw library in human city, i just assumed that knowledge gathered there is actually known by humans. Probably it's not very important what some humans know and what they don't, but it may be a little confusing to some players. Maybe you could make some mage say something like "Glyphs in that library propably contain some informations, but we were never able to read it. But maybe you faeries will be able to do that?" Just a suggestion, but I think it will allow to avoid unnecessary confusion.

EDIT: I made a little bit more research and discovered that despite lack of recruit button it still possible to recruit using ctrl+r. It's a bit problematic however, because it's impossible to see how much gold you have (at least I don't see any way to check that)

EDIT 2: I just finished this campaign and it was really great. As I said already story is very good, and many scenarios have very unique style. I think it's one of the best campaigns I played.
One more bug - in Silent Night, objectives says that Aryel can recruit on adjacent tiles, but it doesn't work for me. It wasn't especially hard anyway, though.
Also, could you add some hint that starting chasm in Moonlit Night works like castle? It's probably very stupid, but I somehow didn't notice that and played whole scenario with only main characters and manifestations. I only managed to win because I used a looooot of save-and-load.
Oh, I always use ctrl+r, so that's probably why I didn't notice the lack of the recruit button. The thing about Silent Night has already been reported, and I fixed the objectives (you're not supposed to be able to recruit with her anymore). I can make a note in Moonlit Night for the recruiting.

Thanks for the feedback! ^_^
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

Oh, she is not supposed to recruit anymore?
"Funny"... =w=
Guess I will have to be careful with the ghosts and have to dodge the invisible demons at any price :/
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

What am I doing wrong?
Aryel can't beat that nasty demons :/
Attachments
Gns-1-Silent Night Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(51.56 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

SpiderAja wrote: July 27th, 2018, 11:01 am What am I doing wrong?
Aryel can't beat that nasty demons :/
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

nemaara wrote:
Spoiler:
gasps
Yumu, no! Don't go over to that side! :(
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

Yay, finished the story :3
Talya seems interesting, Yumi should probably talk (I get that she is too shy and worried though, poor girl) and the boss fights against Luna were nice, funny and challenging >w<
Spoiler:
Morg_Dannegard

Post by Morg_Dannegard »

nemaara wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm
Oh, I always use ctrl+r, so that's probably why I didn't notice the lack of the recruit button. The thing about Silent Night has already been reported, and I fixed the objectives (you're not supposed to be able to recruit with her anymore). I can make a note in Moonlit Night for the recruiting.

Hi Nemaara, this campaign is really enjoyable. I can't get past those green demons though. I reckon the recruit should be enabled again, because the green demons are strong and the possessed ghosts don't really do the job with their low HP. I tried restarting the scenario several times but the luckiest I get when evading the green demons was halfway across the map :(
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Morg_Dannegard wrote: August 31st, 2018, 12:34 pm
nemaara wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm

Hi Nemaara, this campaign is really enjoyable. I can't get past those green demons though. I reckon the recruit should be enabled again, because the green demons are strong and the possessed ghosts don't really do the job with their low HP. I tried restarting the scenario several times but the luckiest I get when evading the green demons was halfway across the map :(
The thing about the void demons is you never want to get backstabbed by them. You can also lure them away with possessed ghosts. Other strategies you can employ are to always try to keep Aryel on a forest hex, and to avoid void areas. It's often useful to actually kill one of them with Aryel just to reduce the number of pursuers, although you'll suffer an exp penalty for that. Also,
Spoiler:
I may reduce their spawns in the next release, but that is a while coming since I have an important exam to do first. :augh:
jotender

Post by jotender »

I just cannot describe how good this campaign is. I's so good that every other campaign in BfW maybe except IftU and AtS seems just boring.I'm waiting for part 2. Keep up good work!
Graypaws11

Post by Graypaws11 »

I've just finished playing through this a second time (The first was back a while ago, without all the scenarios it has now), and this is my 2c

There is a lot of pointless/useless/annoying small chat between characters, especially where Yumi is concerned. It feels almost like you could remove 5 "stare"s,"silence"s,"uhm"s, etc from each scenario and still have more left over. This gets tedious to read, just like 'He said "hi", she said "hi", he said "how are you", she said "I am ok", she said "wbu" he said "I'm ok" she said "good".
I think it would be a lot better if there were less, but larger messages between characters. eg Instead of doing 8 messages with 3 words each, you could do 4 with 6, or better.

Another aspect I greatly dislike in this campaign is those god forsaken puzzles. Before I go further -- Some of them are fine, some are fun, some are intriguing. Most are a frustrating mess of end turns. One in particular that stands out is the 6 crystal puzzle of music notes. Both times I went through this campaign, I ended up just cheating my way through it.

This post focuses on the negative because feedback is for change, no? I love the lore behind it, and you've got very nice visuals IMO.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Beautiful campaign, so far as I've been able to play it. I still have to find a way to defeat
Spoiler:
, though.

I never finished it yet but it's one of the best I've played, up there with FoaP, BMR, Ani's Legacy and of course IftU (I'm on revansurik's Dragon Trilogy now for a change). I might just switch to the version for BfW 1.14 the next time around.

I loved the puzzles even though I did end up resorting to keeping a .txt file with the solutions for when I replayed it in 1.14.