Earth Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Choicerer

Earth Scenario

Post by Choicerer »

6 player map of Planet Earth with a team for each continent. It can be played with a variety of set-ups - FFA, 2v2v2, 3v3, it's designed to work and be quite balanced in all those cases.

Shallow water terrain connects the continents, all units pay only 0.5 mp cost to enter a shallow water hex. This makes the map play quite quickly and emphasises land battles over sea battles more on a map which already has a great deal of water.
Units can cross from the Eastern Hemisphere to the Western and vice versa by moving onto the appropriate edge hexes.
City names and label colours will change dynamically depending on who controls them.

Thanks to Freeciv, who I'd acquired the base map from and thanks to NoneSensei aka enclave and others for the feedback and suggestions.
Attachments
earth.png
Last edited by Choicerer on June 10th, 2018, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choicerer

Re: Earth Scenario

Post by Choicerer »

1.1 fixes two bugs:
label bug - labels will now properly adjust colours on village capture if a side chooses a colour different that the preset one.
scroll bug - map will scroll to the unit crossing the pacific for this unit's side ONLY.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

1.2 fixes -
The game breaking on reloading a save. (oops. I wish somebody had told me that)
Some code optimisation.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Choicerer wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:23 am 1.2 fixes -
I'm quite sure I mentioned at least couple of times that lua theme items must be in preload to keep it working on reload saved games, but sometimes you tend to ignore me :P
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

enclave wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Choicerer wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:23 am 1.2 fixes -
I'm quite sure I mentioned at least couple of times that lua theme items must be in preload to keep it working on reload saved games, but sometimes you tend to ignore me :P
Ah no, I know that well. It's just that the mod has 500+ downloads and nobody reported it.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Choicerer wrote: June 10th, 2018, 1:15 pm Ah no, I know that well. It's just that the mod has 500+ downloads and nobody reported it.
you will be even more surprised what people don't report :)
Sometimes there might be regular players for your map, play it nearly every day for months, you as developer of add-on always there and talking to them, and later some day you find out that there is some basic bug which was known and obvious, and nobody mentioned it during all these months.. sometimes it's proper shocking :) I'm not surprised when people need to go to forums to report, it's lazy, but when you are there and they just don't then it's a bit ridiculous ;)
In your case it's possible that nobody had to reload the game (the most popular reason for reload is probably dc if the game is shorter than 30 turns)
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Well, I hope so... Still, I guess people have been mostly playing it in Singleplayer (because I haven't seen a single game of it played online :P ), so then it's more likely.
Last edited by Choicerer on June 11th, 2018, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.