The Trolling Mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Can-ned_Food

Re: The Trolling Mod

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Ah, well, whatever. I was just uncertain.
I mean, if i really want it, then i can always write a patch for my own use on 1.12.

I'm only using 1.12 for now because idiotic Debian doesn't easily support multiple versions of things like the way NixOS kinda does. When i finally sit down and get the dev version built from source in to my own non–FHS hierarchy, then i'll be using that.
Well, i'll probably check in 1.12 from time to time. Ramble ramble ramble …
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Can-ned_Food wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 11:26 pm Ah, well, whatever.
Okay then, in that case I won't port it back cause I can't really be bothered. But there are 3 things you'd have to take care if you wanted to -
-Remove the hurry up trolling.
-Change side.current_player to side.name
-Change side.colour = red to side.colour = 1
enclave

Post by enclave »

Choicerer wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am Okay then, in that case I won't port it back cause I can't really be bothered. But there are 3 things you'd have to take care if you wanted to -
I thought it was fully compatible :P
joking..
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

enclave wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 1:01 pm
Choicerer wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am Okay then, in that case I won't port it back cause I can't really be bothered. But there are 3 things you'd have to take care if you wanted to -
I thought it was fully compatible :P
joking..
Yeah, turns out it isn't. I forgot I only started using that approach well after the Trolling Mod.
ghype

Post by ghype »

is there any one even using this mod?
I mean, isn't still some what offensive? I guess I'd get offended by myself for installing/activating this mod at some point ^
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Yes, online there is at least one person who uses it regularly and loves it.
I've found it hard to explain to people every time somebody doesn't get it, but this is supposed to be a joke that pokes fun at the imbecility of trolls
online. By basically making everyone post these childish, offensive, ridiculous messages. I understand some people might not get the joke, oh well.
You wouldn't get mocked by yourself, at least not in MP where the mod is supposed to be played (it works for human players).
ghype

Post by ghype »

yes I got that.
But it wouldn't make any sense to keep adding content other then fixing bugs from an ethical standpoint.
unless you are so dedicated to that one person of course.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 5:52 am yes I got that.
But it wouldn't make any sense to keep adding content other then fixing bugs from an ethical standpoint.
Apparently, you didn't get that, because you are talking about an ethical standpoint. (by the way, I've never added any content since like 6 months ago)
Let me say it again - this is a joke that's supposed to poke fun at the unbelievable stupidity and meanness of some people who like
to bicker and demonstrate their intellectual superiority over nonesense ("No, that goblin had 4 more HP", etc. etc. who hasn't experienced this, it's just terrible)

These messages show up as observer messages. If somebody doesn't get that, the extra clue (and the main clue) is that they're ridiculously
stupid and don't make sense for almost anyone in game to be said by, because nobody speaks like that. Even the trolls you can find
in online games (and you can find plenty of them, and again that is the very point) don't make this many spelling mistakes and include "hahaha"
in every sentence... See that is how you can satirise something. By taking it to the extreme.

Now, I understand SOME people might not get that. But I wouldn't worry too much about them, and anyway the hosting player can always explain.
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 5:52 am unless you are so dedicated to that one person of course.
Hahaha. I'm dedicated to supporting/improving my mods for anyone that is using them or might be using them in the future. And I don't keep track of all those people.
Last edited by Choicerer on June 8th, 2018, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Is it not actually less offensive than to have these messages come from the other player intentionally? 8)

A**holes IRL tend to actually be less amusing than their satrized versions. I only wish most trolls were actually this comical.

My favorite message is the one about “giving away free villages”.

And, anyway, I think the whole point of this is to not take most games all too seriously.
Find yourself doing so? Then play with this mod for a few times to lighten the mood. If it seems to be making you or anyone else feel worse, then maybe someone should spend some time doing something else.
Also, cleans stubborn mineral deposits with no scrubbing. It even makes an excellent topping for your favorite desserts. Those are but three of its hundreds of uses around the home, farm, and soulless commercial cubicle.