nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BTIsaac

Re: nemaara's art

Post by BTIsaac »

Yes, i know there's a problem with the bicep. There was a line there and i accidentally shaded it. I recall trying to fix it but apparently it wasn't enough.

It's not that outlines aren't popular. They simply don't look good with the techniques I'm using. There's a tutorial on this forum that uses lines (the same artist did the elf portraits i think), but it's a completely different method from mine. And it's not so much about having an outline. It's actually much more sophisticated.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I am not talking about Kitties Tutorial to draw like Kitty. I really just talk about a line to make the art more pop out of the surrounding. If you do not mind, I could show you an example.

It is more like a 2,5 pixel outline:
Spoiler:
You could test it in game and check which version works better. Blacklines go under light effects! I Reduced the light effect to 60% in the 2nd example. Again I would advice an in game test.

PS: I like the ones you call derpy. Can't wait to see what will be left of it after coloring.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

We should discuss this in the relevant thread. I mainly linked them here for nemaara.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Uh, nemaara? Quick question if you're reading this. I don't remember which of the ten symbols, belongs to Uriah. The banners in the editor look like it's the yellow sun, but I'm not sure.
On a sidenote, I'm asking because i figured I'd put some tattoos or ritual scarring on the higher level fiends. Is that a good idea? I intend to give them bloody streaks in the hair, bigger flames and an axe to actually make them look higher level, but i figured the former would add to the whole savage barbarian motif.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

BTIsaac wrote: April 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm Uh, nemaara? Quick question if you're reading this. I don't remember which of the ten symbols, belongs to Uriah. The banners in the editor look like it's the yellow sun, but I'm not sure.
I didn’t know nemaara was using the banners from IftU and AtS. Those feature a sigil unique to Uria II which shouldn’t be used in Genesis:
Screenshot_20180418_213627.png
Screenshot_20180418_213627.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 7407 times

The correct sigil for Uria I is the eye-looking one at 1 o’clock featuring the same colour. The sigils in clockwise order are Life, Water, Thunder, Earth, Fire, Darkness, Light, Air, Ice, Existence.
original-ten.png
original-ten.png (70.14 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

No, the banners were for IftU and AtS. Also, thanks for the clarification.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Forgot to mention in the announcement for the newest version of Genesis, I updated the boss sprites in the newest version. As always, critique is welcomed.
Spoiler:
BTIsaac

Re: nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Post by BTIsaac »

Well bummer. And i already had an awesome idea based on the old sprite. I wonder if it will still work.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Just a heads up. (I think) I completed the portraits for the Fiend and Dreamwalker lines. I figured the Berserker and Helion could use the same portrait. I also decided to incorporate the black water from the dream sequences into the Dreamwalker portraits. I know it might not look all that good, but I'm terrible at drawing water in Photoshop.

I'm nowhere near as confident with these as I was with the previous batch so input is appreciated.
Spoiler:
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I've updated the sprite for the Incubi in Genesis (mostly a change to the wings). See below:

(Also for licensing, this sprite and all others from here on out will be released under CC BY-NC-ND unless otherwise specified).
Attachments
incubus.png
incubus.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
Last edited by nemaara on June 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well that's way darker than my portrait ended up looking. And I don't just mean that, I mean it's really really dark. Hard to make out, especially with the dark water in areas they appear in.

On that note, I wantet to point this out eralier but the new Illusory Angels look hardly distinct. The lore says she's supposed to be all distorted and unnatural looking, and the old sprite definetley looked the part. These just look like they're regular blue demons.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I suppose I can fix up the palette a bit, though higher level blue demons are actually suppose to meld into the terrain anyway. :hmm:

About the Illusory Angel, yahhhh, it only looks like an upgrade to the nightmare, but the problem is I don't have the skill to work with the old sprite (e.g. making advancements and animations for it), so I have to make do for now. :augh:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

On the illusory angel, have you seen the animation on the water elemental in era of magic? Not sure if it was updated or not but in the version i have, there's one sprite, and all animation frames are the same one sprite getting distorted and warped. I think if a similar effect could be applied to the old sprite it might actually work.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: June 6th, 2018, 8:07 pm On the illusory angel, have you seen the animation on the water elemental in era of magic? Not sure if it was updated or not but in the version i have, there's one sprite, and all animation frames are the same one sprite getting distorted and warped. I think if a similar effect could be applied to the old sprite it might actually work.
It could work, but it's not really on my priority list right now, since I can't spend the time to keep revising that one sprite, especially since the portrait for it is not on my radar. I might look at it again in the future, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I've updated the red and fire demon sprites. Inferno demon is coming soon, after I animate the fire demon.
Attachments
red.png
red.png (899 Bytes) Viewed 6808 times
fire.png
fire.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

My portraits for the Fire and Inferno demons are mostly done. Should I adjust the horns? By the way, I gave the inferno demon a bronze or brass breastplate and shoulder pads and flames on the head and along the spine.
The Shadow Demon is also done. Hopefully next week I'll be able to post them. I'd like to be done with the fire/inferno demoness as well, provided I can figure out a way to fix that left elbow.