Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

enclave

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Post by enclave »

Zap-Zarap wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 8:21 pm i understand enclave's post in that way, that, if one tries to have many different windows open on scren, one will try to make the wesnoth window as small as possible, and the problem with the new lobby design is, thatthere are those buttons in the top right corner, so the space left for the player list is smaller, in 1.12.x the list startet on top right corner itself, so there were more lines displayable..
enclave was referring to the layout.
Y it's layout change for some reason... screenshots say it all.. :D

New bugs and/or miracles:
When being in lobby it showed me "end of file" in middle of screen and exit the lobby :) Only happened once so far.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That message informs you that server has crashed.
enclave

Post by enclave »

it could say "server crashed" :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The client can’t know that the server crashed, only that it’s been disconnected for an unspecified reason.

I’ll look into it since I’ve pointed out the issues with the message several times over the past couple of months and nobody seems to be working on it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Alsemevad

Post by Alsemevad »

Hello everyone,

It's a very good surprise to find Battle for Wesnoth on Steam and play it again.
Unfortunately, in French language I observe many translation issues in the campaigns and the help/bestiary.

Into the tutoriel and the first campaign for example, there are many text in English.

Where can I report these translation issues?

Moreoever, for the multiplayer mode :
The error message to request an valid account is very unclear... No explanation for how to create an valid account.
During my first test yesterday I presumed an issue with Steam.

Request an account on a website to play in multiplayer in a Steam game is not common.
If it is not explain, it is the best way to push away the new players :'(
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Alsemevad wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 10:58 pm Into the tutoriel and the first campaign for example, there are many text in English.

Where can I report these translation issues?
I've tested it and litereally everything important in the tutorial, pretty much all the information, is in english.
That's a rather major mistake. :/

EDIT: Tested it for all language. This seems to be solely a problem with the french translation.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

enclave wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 4:35 pm Could somebody help me with Wesnoth display themes? I prefer using wesnoth pre 1.12 (classic) theme.. But unfortunately nobody changed it, and all the numbers and text are really tiny and hard to see in comparison to default theme. Could somebody change it to match the 1.14 wesnoth sizes? Or could you tell me which file in core I need to modify to do it myself?
The file defining the classic theme is here. If you fix it we may also be interested in integrating the fix into 1.14.1 or 1.14.2.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 4th, 2018, 12:00 am The file defining the classic theme is here. If you fix it we may also be interested in integrating the fix into 1.14.1 or 1.14.2.
Yeah I found it, thank you very much (C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.0\data\themes\classic.cfg on windows 7), your link helped a lot.
If i change it successfully I will upload it here (and I'm very very interested in changing it..)

New bug/question/feature:
Weapon special abilities are all shown when you making an attack.. For example it shows backstab even when backstab is not happening..
w1.jpg
Its confusing a bit, but it's not a problem until you have a bunch of weapon specials... they all show and make it look messy and stupid like so:
w2.jpg
Could it be changed in future? :(
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

It should be possible (and not particularly difficult) to only show "active" abilities there. Whether it's a good idea, I'm not sure.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Pentarctagon wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 12:19 amOr, if they're on linux, there's a Flatpak available as well.
^I think this could be added to the OP?

Also, I love the use of an asterism.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Sadaharu wrote: May 4th, 2018, 3:58 am
Pentarctagon wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 12:19 amOr, if they're on linux, there's a Flatpak available as well.
^I think this could be added to the OP?

Also, I love the use of an asterism.
I mean, it is available as the first section in the link to the Linux Binaries page.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 4th, 2018, 1:13 am It should be possible (and not particularly difficult) to only show "active" abilities there. Whether it's a good idea, I'm not sure.
It's actually a change of the 1.14. series. I never noticed it, but now that I know of it, I did like it better when it only showed "active" abilities there (like it does in 1.12.6). Makes probably for less confusion for newcomers as well. (Backstab and Marksman might be the only mainline relevant abilites?)
enclave

Post by enclave »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 4th, 2018, 1:13 am It should be possible (and not particularly difficult) to only show "active" abilities there. Whether it's a good idea, I'm not sure.
Do you mean I could do it myself or you mean you could do it for next updates of 1.14?
I would like to know how to do it myself if its possible..
Well 1.12 already had a bad thing about active/inactive abilities, I don't quite already remember what exactly was I didn't like as a add-on coder, but example was that horseman had his damage doubled on his turn and normal not on his turn.. that was a bit odd.. and I had some issues related to 1.12 in comparison to 1.10
But 1.14 has got rediculously worse in terms of active/inactive weapon specials.. and like somebody else said it will be confusing newcomers as well. But it's not only newcomers, it will be confusing crap even out of me, who plays wesnoth for more than 10 years.. I know how everything works but I will be having doubts and will need to double check to make sure that some ability doesn't count into the damage or chance to hit etc. Not even mentioning my particular case , where inactive abilities just spam the screen with useless and confusing information :(
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 8:22 pm If I start wesnoth in full screen mode and set it into windowed mode, then everything is fine, chat works normal size in any mode.
thanks alot, that reallly worked. no problems when startin in full mod.
however, still annoying to have to change the windows/ful setting before you logout so you start in full-screen
u might forget that
enclave

Post by enclave »

ghype wrote: May 4th, 2018, 12:54 pm thanks alot, that reallly worked. no problems when startin in full mod.
lol :D we hacked it ;)