Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Post by gnombat »

I notice if I go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/ using Windows the default download is still wesnoth-1.12.6-win32.exe.
enclave

Post by enclave »

As for diplay issue, the windows resoltion is 1920x1080 and the wesnoth resolution is 1280x655 and like i said changing resolution in wesnoth only changes the wesnoth window borders in windowed mode, not the resolution, so no matter what resolution i will put for wesnoth, it will not change anything.

Ok some more feedback:
1) the main menu popups are not only annoying but they also sabotage you :D When you click real fast on Local game, you will often by accident click the popup and therefore when you click OK, the menu is still selected on Multiplayer and it will join the lobby instead of what you wanted to do, - Local game.
Like somebody mentioned before they are TOOOOOOoooo fast to appear... If you are sure that popup window is unable to block the click then there is a bug with clicking, I'm quite sure my mouse works fine so far as I never had this issue in 1.12 (quickly clicking Local game and then OK never made me join lobby)
2) When I play multiplayer and click "exit to titlescreen" it brings me to lobby, not to the main wesnoth title screen. Isn't it a bit misleading? Not only the titlescreen name sounds funny... it doesnt even do what it says.
Thanks.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

In a default era mainline mp game, mission objectives are shown in the host's language, not the one i, as a player, have chosen on my preferences.

ui discomfort:
- when returning to lobby from a game, filters and everything is reset to default/zero/empty/unchecked and has to be set newly again (e.g. "vacant slots").
- when in pregame-screen, everytime a new player joins, all window parts are, like ,set to display start of contained text, like from line 1, and i have to scroll down to last message to see what was written there.

Win10

Anyway, great work, thanks a lot to all devs.
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Zap-Zarap wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 2:52 pm ui discomfort:
- when in pregame-screen, everytime a new player joins, all window parts are, like ,set to display start of contained text, like from line 1, and i have to scroll down to last message to see what was written there.
Yeah I confirm, same or similar for me, win 7, just didn't mention it because it was minor in comparison to other things. Also overall lobby is lagging even with small amount of people, because it is refreshed too often.. all changes should have at least 5 sek refresh rate or something.. otherwise while you are trying to click on the player the lobby list is already refreshed and u need to scroll again. I noticed that the new lobby is in a way similar to special lobby of 1.12 (where you can private chat anyone in separate window), but well unfortunately it inherited most of it's bugs too.. regarding refresh rate and lags in particular. Not sure if text is jumped to line 1 if somebody joins, but it definitely does it quite often (I just not sure of the reason, it might be the joins, need to check it myself, but it does happen for some reason for sure).

Could somebody help me with Wesnoth display themes? I prefer using wesnoth pre 1.12 (classic) theme.. But unfortunately nobody changed it, and all the numbers and text are really tiny and hard to see in comparison to default theme. Could somebody change it to match the 1.14 wesnoth sizes? Or could you tell me which file in core I need to modify to do it myself?
Here is comparison of 1.10 theme vs 1.14 theme. Look at sizes of text and numbers.
1.10 theme
w110.jpg
1.14 theme
w114.jpg
ghype

Post by ghype »

Zap-Zarap wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 2:52 pm - when in pregame-screen, everytime a new player joins, all window parts are, like ,set to display start of contained text, like from line 1, and i have to scroll down to last message to see what was written there.
same happens when you u want to scroll the playerlist on the right side. if somebody joines or leaves the server, the position will jump back to start and u have to scroll again.

mac osx
sierra 10.13.2
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Additionally for Win10:
When playing in fullscreen mode, pressing the "windows"-key doesn't show the desktop, but wesnoth is always in the background, strange behaviour, never seen something like that before with no program.
Don't know, how to explain..
While wesnoth is in fullscreen, i have no way to see my desktop, when i open any window of any other program, and then minimize that window, i get the wesnoth instead of the desktop.
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Zap-Zarap I assume you tried to use Alt+TAB key?
I have to use windowed mode unfortunately.. makes lobby to be just unbearable experience with just 3 lines of chat or 3 lines of nicknames (much worse than when everything jumps somewhere :D). I tried to find what game my friend was playing, and I couldn't :D

More comments from me:
1)Vacant games should be all green highlighted, not just "vacant slot 1/2", makes it easier to see... just look:
1.12 looks bright and clear that game is to join... we look at map and name... and it shows us in green "JOIN ME"
w3.png
And now 1.14 all dark.. we look at map and name of game and it says us nothing.. need to move eyes to the right of the screen to see tiny green vacant slots:
w4.jpg
2)Very sad to need to read game information for settings.. instead of easy icons as before.. why?
Not only this is very very very very inconvenient and SLOW to read what era the game is and what settings, but also it doesn't show the full list of settings with popup window if I check the last game in the list or one before last, part of popup is just eaten by screen border.. see shots:
w1.jpg
w2.png
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

enclave wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm Zap-Zarap I assume you tried to use Alt+TAB key?
yes, same problem.
I like beavers.
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm I have to use windowed mode unfortunately.. makes lobby to be just unbearable experience with just 3 lines of chat or 3 lines of nicknames (much worse than when everything jumps somewhere :D). I tried to find what game my friend was playing, and I couldn't :D
I just tested is for the tests-sake on my mac osx but I actually do not share this problem.
No matter if windowed or full-screen, the chat size seems fine to me , as well as the nickname displays for who is online

that might be a windows specific problem.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

ghype wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:30 pm

No matter if windowed or full-screen, the chat size seems fine to me , as well as the nickname displays for who is online

I suppose, enclave's problem starts to arise, when the window containing wsnoth is resized to a smaller size...
have you tried taht, too?
I like beavers.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Zap-Zarap wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 5:37 pm Additionally for Win10:
When playing in fullscreen mode, pressing the "windows"-key doesn't show the desktop, but wesnoth is always in the background, strange behaviour, never seen something like that before with no program.
Don't know, how to explain..
While wesnoth is in fullscreen, i have no way to see my desktop, when i open any window of any other program, and then minimize that window, i get the wesnoth instead of the desktop.
Hey, Zap-Zarap, I don't think this is an uncommon behavior with fullscreen games. When you press the windows key (or alt-tab), Wesnoth is not minimized, you just switch to another Windows UI element.
If you want to access your desktop, you can do so by clicking on the lower-right corner of your screen (or rather the right most part of your task bar), there is a small button there. You can also use the windows-D shortcut for that (but in that case, you might need to smash it a few time if you using this shortcut from wesnoth...)
ghype wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:30 pm I just tested is for the tests-sake on my mac osx but I actually do not share this problem.

You may not have the same resolution, you should precise what is your resolution.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 2:48 am Please, anyone reporting issues with the MP Lobby, Create Game, or Addon Manager, include your Wesnoth window size (or screen resolution if you're playing fullscreen). These screens rearrange themselves on smaller screens so that everything can still fit into the window, so if we're going to be able to fix it we need to know which arrangement of the screen you're viewing.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

With wesnoth 1.12.x that thing didn't happen.
I like beavers.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Fractal wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm You may not have the same resolution, you should precise what is your resolution.
you are right, in fact I just experienced same issue with my mac too. on both displays.
I have one built-in 13,3-inch with 2560x1600 display and a second 24-inch with 1920x1080

I remarked that this issue appears only with 810x610 or higher. on both screens..
800x600 was fine, but who plays on that? its so small
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

i understand enclave's post in that way, that, if one tries to have many different windows open on scren, one will try to make the wesnoth window as small as possible, and the problem with the new lobby design is, thatthere are those buttons in the top right corner, so the space left for the player list is smaller, in 1.12.x the list startet on top right corner itself, so there were more lines displayable..
enclave was referring to the layout.
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

ghype wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:30 pm
enclave wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm I have to use windowed mode unfortunately.. makes lobby to be just unbearable experience with just 3 lines of chat or 3 lines of nicknames (much worse than when everything jumps somewhere :D). I tried to find what game my friend was playing, and I couldn't :D
I just tested is for the tests-sake on my mac osx but I actually do not share this problem.

This only is a problem after you restart wesnoth.
If I start wesnoth in full screen mode and set it into windowed mode, then everything is fine, chat works normal size in any mode.
If i start wesnoth in windowed mode then chat has a problem, even if i switch to fullscreen (without restart)
So either I have to live with my problem or every time i log off I need to switch wesnoth to full screen and then quit to desktop, and then as soon as I opened wesnoth switch it into windowed mode :D I'm too lazy for the second option.. so I just live with this crap for now :)
Last edited by enclave on May 3rd, 2018, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.