Purger of Evil SP campaign (Wesnoth 1.12/1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ResExsention

Purger of Evil SP campaign (Wesnoth 1.12/1.14)

Post by ResExsention »

Hello, Wesnoth.

I have been into the Wesnoth game for quite some time now, but this is my first time on the forums, so it's so nice to be meeting you all!

This is the first campaign that I plan to make "professional" with its own forum thread. It is one called the Purger of Evil, and is out for release into the add-ons server soon. It has a sort of book feel to it, and is meant to be a fast paced campaign with close calls on every turn, especially on the hardest difficulty.

This campaign simulates you reading the journal of Lieutenant James D. Archer of the Everglade Army 5th contingent. I intend to not get too deep into the mechanics of this campaign so that you become more tempted to play it, but you mostly just fight loyalists of your own type, and during your journeys, other outlandish factions (dwarves, bandits, etc.).

I'm not providing any pictures, as I want you to play the game to figure out what happens, and not guess from here.

All comments and feedback received on this thread would be gratefully accepted, and, if feasible, will be part of a future update of this campaign. I'm looking mostly for light, constructive criticism, side balancing refinements, and future scenario ideas, but anything you have for me is acceptable.

Thanks.
Last edited by ResExsention on August 2nd, 2018, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
ResExsention

Re: Purger of Evil SP campaign (Wesnoth 1.12)

Post by ResExsention »

Add-on is now on the server. It's quite big (65 MB), probably due to the embedded music from the UMC music books and West's Chronicles (it's under GPL, so I do have the right to use the files however I want, passing on those rights to others...)

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Note you can list music addons as dependency instead of duplicating them.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

I know. I just duplicated them as I found that I would be wasting others' time by having them download files the campaign doesn't exactly need. It slims down the file size, even if only by 20 MB.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey, cool campaign so far and interesting story!

I think you accidentally set the campaign's first scenario as Scenario 2?
For scenario 1 I just ran straight northeast with my leader while the poor loyal units mostly died distracting enemies.
I couldn't beat scenario 2 on Insane (don't think it's possible without very good luck), but barely managed it on hard. The trick I used was to send two sacrificial spearmen into the bottlenecks to block the other two leaders' armies :whistle:
Purge-Dishonorary_Betrayal_replay.gz
Scenario 2
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

For the objectives notes, it's really hard to read that dark blue text - some lighter color like white/light blue would be much easier to read.

Looking forward to more scenarios! :D
ogr

Post by ogr »

Hi,

Here are a few comments :

There is a typo in the introduction "[...] to get to get my wife [...]"
Special comments on 1st scenario are hard to read (blue on white)
Typo outro 1st scenario "I need to you find those" -> "I need you to find those"

Outro, on the roleplay side, it would be better for the healer to come and explain herself what kind of ingredient she needs, except if the king is omniscient somehow.

The campaign end at the first scenario, not sure of there are more for now.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Thanks for the feedback!

I know I've been quite inactive for a while taking a short break from the strategic placements of Wesnoth, but that's going to change. I'll re-balance the difficulty on scenario 2, change the text color of the specials to a lighter blue, and release scenario 3. Will also make scenario 1 a little harder and also fix typos. Expect several large updates in the near future.

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Update 0.0.4: Released scenario 3 and fixed some dialogue mistakes.
What to expect from future updates:
0.0.5: Re-balancing of the near-impossible scenario 2 Insane difficulty. Increase in difficulty on scenario 1. Possible re-balance on scenario 3 if need be.
0.0.6: Release of scenario 4.

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Update 0.07 is out, with the release of a dialogue and animated fighting only, the rebalancing of several other scenarios, and the release of scenario 5.
Expect scenario 6 and more rebalancing in the future. Also, any feedback would be welcome.

tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Could you attach a version onto this thread so that I may try it? I hope it will work on 1.14 :)
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Update 0.0.8: Latest stable version with its new add-on server icon and the transfer of all music files to another resource, also on the 1.12.6 add-on server, Purger of Evil Music. Release of scenario 6 and several dialogue changes to previous scenarios. Latest version here for those who need it. ;)

Sadly, though, the music could not be uploaded, since it is a whopping 86 megabytes big, exceeding the maximum file upload limit by a lot! Sorry people. No music for you if you download the campaign here, unless you go on the 1.12.6 add-on server and install Purger of Evil Music on its own. :oops:
Attachments
Purger_of_Evil_Zip.tar
(170 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Update: 0.0.9: Porting Purger of Evil to 1.14 shortly. Release of scenarios 7-1 and 7-2, simulating the two different paths you can take after scenario 6. With the porting of 1.14, several maps and scenarios will be rebalanced and remade, with terrain changes on scenario 5, modifcations to scenario 1, and more rebalancing to scenario 2, with map updates to scenarios 1, 3, 4, and 6. Custom unit Elvish Overlord is also implemented after update, which happens in a few hours' time.

ResExsention

Re: Purger of Evil SP campaign (Wesnoth 1.12/1.14)

Post by ResExsention »

Ported to 1.14. 1.12 version abandoned for now; might return to it in the future. Post bugs in the 1.12 version here if they pop up.

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Update 0.1.2: Fixes of several bugs and the rebalancing of scenario 7-2 and 7-1.

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Scenario 08-1 posted as part of version 0.1.3. Scenario 08-2 will be in the next update. Post feedback here so that I can know what needs to be fixed and what is great. Thanks.