nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: nemaara's art

Post by Wussel »

If you take a black pen (not to thin!) and draw (closed!) black lines over your pencil, I will do the digital coloring!

You could scan twice to keep the pencil too. And I need high resolution scan. At least 800x800, but bigger is better.

I would suggest drawing the feet and legs fully. We can do the cropping later. Or Nemaara can do the cropping and scaling to his liking.

I would keep close to the colors of the sprites and would suggest the same for the lines.

Please check this out to understand what I would need as black pen over pencil sketch:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44560

For me letter size paper and regular marker pen (not a very fine liner) works best for everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_pen

Technically we could run iterations with pencil only until Nemaara is happy. The marker pen fixing would have to be done digital. So better fix something like i.e. hair style in pencil before applying the marker pen.

And we should use CC BY-SA-NC for sketch, line and coloring to keep the confusion at bay.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I know this isn't exactly the place to discuss this, but if that was adressed to me, well, I have actually found a way to circumvent technical issues and am currently back to doing digital coloring like I used to.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome, I was just remembering your sketches like rogue mage and such. So you are making a complete package offer for the 3 ladies? I would be thrilled!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47765

@Nemaara

If you a really want to pay for commissions, but are on a budget, I would give this guy a try. He is a drawing machine with a huge turnout. The offer is at $15 for a character. I like his style and it would be awesome to get him into Wesnoth. He did a few ladies with wings in the past.

https://tyrannoninja.deviantart.com

newer:
https://tyrannoninja.deviantart.com/art ... -716734461
older
https://tyrannoninja.deviantart.com/art ... -466726479
his OCs:
https://tyrannoninja.deviantart.com/art ... -698658828
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I'm seeing 5, but i don't think that many pictures will be needed. Once i draw 2 basic figures, i can modify them later to add variety. I'll post them tomorrow, but i need to know a few things.
1) are those ears or horns?
2) similarly, the red swirly things on the third sprite. Are those horns or some sort of magic swirl?
3) are 4 and 5 wearing masks?
4) is that a fancy ponytail on 5, or something else?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

The Genesis campaign has 3 ladies talking a lot. Yumi, Esther and Aryel. Yumi is the one Nemaara is using as his Avatar in this forum. They have wings and are something like fairies.

Yumi is the one most overdressed. It looks to me that she is wearing a black trouser and a brownish long sleeve under her white dress. I am not sure if the ladies are barefoot or having light brown boots. With Yumi I have no idea, what the reddish things next to the ears are. The rest is pretty clear. Whitish dress, red belt, 4tiped wings, pointy ears, black hair.

I am supposing Nemaara could utilize different expression like sulking, tired, happy and so on.

I would assume demons would be nice too, but most of the times the 3 ladies talking to each other.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIssac, if you are serious about making portraits, I would suggest doing a couple trial ones for the demons before looking at Yumi/Aryel/Esther/Talya. They have an extremely large amount of dialogue in my campaign and so I need to be much pickier about the portraits I select for them. Another thing is that when the demon lines are completed, I'll probably make a faction out of them and so I can give you credit for portraits in both Genesis and an MP faction. ^_^

If you agree with me, I would suggest not starting with portraits for the black demons. They, and the higher level blue demons are the most complicated ones since they're not really your usual flesh and blood type beings. I'd suggest looking at doing sprites for some of the red demons, warrior demons, or flying ones first. The level 1 blue demon should also be reasonably easy to draw (it's only the higher levels that get weird).

Note that the level 1 fighter demon already has a portrait for both female and male versions, so you won't need to do that. Feel free to tackle any of the others you want.

(sprites removed)
Last edited by nemaara on March 8th, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Why are you calling them blue? I can not see a single blue pixel here. Anyway BTIsaac got hired! Congrats!

Could you help out with reading the Yumi sprite? How to read the holes in the red sleeve style thingie? And especially the red stuff next to the ears. And the boots or not question.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

nemaara wrote: February 26th, 2018, 4:37 pmBTIssac, if you are serious about making portraits, I would suggest doing a couple trial ones for the demons before looking at Yumi/Aryel/Esther/Talya.
That was what i though. I must've misread Wussel's post.
If you agree with me, I would suggest not starting with portraits for the black demons. They, and the higher level blue demons are the most complicated ones since they're not really your usual flesh and blood type beings. I'd suggest looking at doing sprites for some of the red demons, warrior demons, or flying ones first. The level 1 blue demon should also be reasonably easy to draw (it's only the higher levels that get weird).
That's weird as the black demons seem easier than the blue ones, if only because I can't seem to figure out what the deal is with their legs.
Note that the level 1 fighter demon already has a portrait for both female and male versions, so you won't need to do that. Feel free to tackle any of the others you want.
Well, level 2 and 3 just seem to need armor added.

Since i promised something for tomorrow, I'll try the lvl1 red and blue demons first (male and female) and see how those work out. I might try a lvl1 black demon as well, just to see if i can. I'll post a couple of sketches first.

EDIT: Okay, so did a couple of preliminary sketches of the blue and red demons. As of right now, the red demon looks like some kind of flightless bird-lizard (although if I'm seeing it correctly the higher levels look more like rodents), while the blue demons looks like a pair of japanese ghosts with horns (based on what i could gather from their description and attack names). I'll have them up as soon as i have time for it. In the meantime, is there anything i shoukd pay particular attention to?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, as promised, red demon and blue demon sketches, linked from my thread. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Spoiler:
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Good timing, right as I was about to shut down for bed.

In general, they seem quite decent! ^_^

I'm not sure how this will translate to ability to draw fae, but perhaps you would like to handle the demons for now anyway. There is one big glaring issue that I should have definitely clarified earlier: blue demons don't have faces. As they get to higher levels, their bodies also become less corporeal and more like masses of "stuff". However, you don't have to revise those portraits extensively; they actually would be quite suitable for the berserker line of demons. That's actually what I first thought of when I saw them.

General comments, there are some anatomical issues with muscle/joint shapes (e.g. the bulgy right thigh on the male red demon and the rather odd looking arms), but this is not a big deal since it can just be attributed to demon anatomy. I would not recommend spending a lot of time to work it out unless you want to. The demons are a little skinny, but it's understandable as they're level 1s. The upper levels, if you intend to draw them, would likely be more muscly.

I'm also curious as to how you'll handle their current sketchiness when you color them, but it seems like you know what you're doing so I probably don't need to comment more on that.

Thanks for offering your skills, it makes a great addition to my project. ^o^
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I don't think these would make good berserkers, specifically because they're skinny. In regards to technical aspects, everything can be subject to change. Especially in the early stage when the sketches haven't even been inked yet. I can remove the faces, in fact, part of the reason why I made them obscured was because I figured we aren't supposed to see them even if they had one.

Regarding the Red Demon, the arm is intentional, although it needs tweaking (I looked at humanoid lizards in a certain cartoon for reference), but the thigh is most certainly an unintentional mistake.

That being said, while I usually ink them before coloring, the drawings themselves are mainly there to guide me, and I try not to rely on the lines, and keep them only if I can blend them into the final image. I can always add edges and contours after the picture is done. But as little as I use the lines, I absolutely need them for what little role they play. It's maybe because I'm doing something wrong, but I could never get the outlines to look good, even though I tried multiple ways to pull them off.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well the upper (female?) ones have the faces covered with hair. I suppose that would do the "no faces".

With berserk Nemaara means probably just the cat/rat/insect head demons. And for that the sketch looks great too.
Would not concern me about how he is overpowering them.

The upper left on, left hand! This seems to be a forshortening experiment. It looks fine right now. But I would worry about it.

The lower ones need to be mirror imaged at some point. Just to state the obvious.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

@Wussel: You might want to follow the unit list for context:
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Genesis/ ... SIS_I.html

@Nemaara: I could try a fairy next, (Forest spirits don't seem to have a portrait at all - while the others in the sprite line seem to be using the elf druid portrait) to see how that works out. Or should I just focus on the demons for the time being?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

There are not even different sprites for the fairies of one line so far. I think he wanted you to go for the lower demon pair in full color.

Thanks for the link. That helps with all the similar looking demons in my old version a lot.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: February 27th, 2018, 12:19 pm @Wussel: You might want to follow the unit list for context:
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Genesis/ ... SIS_I.html

@Nemaara: I could try a fairy next, (Forest spirits don't seem to have a portrait at all - while the others in the sprite line seem to be using the elf druid portrait) to see how that works out. Or should I just focus on the demons for the time being?
It's up to you, really. Like I said, I wanted to make a demon faction from the ones I have, while there won't be a corresponding faerie faction since there aren't enough faerie types for that. I was thinking it might be more beneficial for you to make demon portraits because that way you'll have art in both Genesis and an MP faction. But if you don't mind either way, then it doesn't matter to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, when I said blue demons don't have faces, it means they literally don't have distinguishable features. It's not just a lack of eyes, but they have a fundamental lack of bone structure on the face itself (they will still have a chin and jawline and such). Think of like the nightgaunt's mask covering its whole face, but in the case of the blue demons, the mask is the face.

In case you are looking to still work on demons, I've also made some berserker demon sprites (see later post).
Last edited by nemaara on March 8th, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.