Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 beta 2)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 beta 2)

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 Beta 2) is out!

Once again, we've skipped a version number! We discovered two rather serious issues soon after 1.13.9 was tagged and had to put off releasing. In that interim while those were being fixed, we also had a chance to perform additional maintenance and fix more bugs, so this is like getting two releases in one! :D

Since this a beta release, the vast majority of changes are bug fixes and general improvements. We're hoping this can be considered the last 1.14 beta release! 1.13.11 will be considered 1.14 RC 1 if all goes well. Keep in mind that won't be 1.14 proper yet, but we're getting close.
  • Download and install, making sure to keep the latest stable release around in case the game breaks and you find yourself unable to get your daily fix of Wesnoth.
  • Playtest the game, try out some of the API additions for content creators, and write down your observations in a notebook or similar.
  • If you encounter issues, don’t panic; instead, grab some bug spray and protective gear, and head directly to our instructions for reporting bugs (we'll be updating this page in the coming days with new reporting protocols). Most importantly, keep in mind that we can’t know about any bugs you encounter unless you report them to us!
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of release. Some items are due to be fixed in the next release, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you! (If you are a coder, that is.)
  • Check our bug tracker for a full list of bugs and feature requests, including other bugs found after the release was published.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release:
General
  • A an issue with [endlevel] music= that caused a crash in 1.13.8 has been fixed.
  • In-game rendering performance has been greatly improved and general CPU usage comparatively reduced.
  • MP passwords are now locally encrypted and no longer saved as plaintext.
  • Several hotkey-related regressions present in 1.13.8 should be fixed now.
  • New Ruined Encampment terrain.
  • New Stone Floor terrain.
  • New Ruined Elvish Castle and Keep terrain.
  • New Ruined Troll Castle and Keep terrain.
  • Split Gate terrains into directional variants.
  • The order of the beginner campaigns is now A Tale of Two Brothers, An Orcish Incursion, The South Guard, & Heir to the Throne. It is hoped that this sequence will be friendlier to new players, encouraging them to start with the simpler AToTB, so they might be better prepared to enjoy HttT.
  • Delfador’s Memoirs has received several improvements, most based on forum feedback.
    • Many (hopefully all) of the rough edges in scenario objectives, story, & dialog have been smoothed out
    • Delfador now progresses properly from Mage Journeyman to Elder Mage.
    • The main villain has been made more formidable.
    • The Houses of the Dead scenario (S09) has been rebalanced and made slightly easier
    • Additional minor rebalancing in S07, S10, S18, S19, S20, S21, & S22
  • Most text boxes now support advanced Input Method Editors (in-game chat does not, however).
  • Many improvements to the new Addons Manager.
  • Formula code is now supported in abilities and weapon specials.
  • [multiplayer]/[scenario] now supports mp_village_gold, mp_village_support, mp_fog and mp_shroud keys, which are used as default values for the corresponding keys in [side]. It is recommended to use them instead of the keys in [side] for configurable multiplayer scenarios.
  • Added wesnoth.format as a translation friendly alternative of string.format.
  • Added [cancel_action] wml tag to cancel the current move in a moveto/enter_hex event.
  • moveto and enter_hex, exit_hex event no longer abort the movement, [cancel_action] must be used to cancel the current move.
  • The allow_new_game= attribute in [scenario] now defaults to false (it still defaults to true in [multiplayer]) .
  • In GUI2 dialogs/widgets [resolution] window_width/height now specifies the minimum window size for that resolution to be chosen.
  • If ai_algorithm is used in [modify_side][ai], it now replaces the whole AI with the contents of [modify_side][ai], instead of appending these parameters.
Known Issues
General bugs:
  • The MP server has trouble with Local player types in campaigns (issue #1387). We have decided to postpone dealing with this. In the meantime, you might try assigning such sides to the host, or running multiple instances of Wesnoth.
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (issue #1260).
As is to be expected with development releases, there may be many, many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. If that seems too overwhelming, you might be glad to know we also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.12.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.14.x series, you definitely should check out this release and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content under new development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

Downloads
Source code (416.6 MB)
SHA256 sum: 8fb33971384702bb932a8f401c4b9f75822dcf142c11fd8b1bcda2e03520264d
The packages for Microsoft Windows and macOS are available:
Windows installer package (379.9 MB)
SHA256 sum: d32e80fc824a023bd35946687ab6f613820b1451264a7ba6c091130144968036
macOS installer package (417.9 MB)
SHA256 sum: d1ebf1547ea312426e8663a5920ad5335833676815777c827e9583074af3f872
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.13.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.13.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.0 and it serves all development releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.10 (1.14 beta 2)

Post by josteph »

First of all, thanks for making wesnoth! :D

On the one hand, I look forward to playtesting the improved in-game rendering performance ("In-game rendering performance has been greatly improved and general CPU usage comparatively reduced.").

On the other hand, I am disappointed that the "Reverse time graphics" option (flip_time=yes in the preferences file) has not been restored. It was present in 1.12, removed in some earlier 1.13.x, and the request to reinstate it (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1905) has been declined. Having to re-build wesnoth with a custom patch over such a trivial issue is frustrating :(

[I don't mean to beat a dead horse; the flip_time removal doesn't seem to have been mentioned in previous feedback threads]
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

There are some issues with the display, I posted the problem in the Technical support section.

Somethime game starts with Dwarwish Steelclad facing in the wrong direction.
With all effects on, game looks not so smooth.
After map settings, leader and factions selections seems a bit unintuitive to me.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

josteph wrote:On the one hand, I look forward to playtesting the improved in-game rendering performance ("In-game rendering performance has been greatly improved and general CPU usage comparatively reduced.").
I find the rendering of water maps such as The Ford of Abez much improved over 1.13.8. I did experience a little delay when I scrolled the map for the first time within a new wesnoth instance; however, subsequent scrolls were fast.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yomar wrote:Somethime game starts with Dwarwish Steelclad facing in the wrong direction.

Actually the direction the leader faces is not "wrong" or "right" it is random.
Yomar wrote:After map settings, leader and factions selections seems a bit unintuitive to me.
Yes i agree the choose faction and leader options confused me for about 5 minutes before i realized you had to click the blue arrow :mrgreen: :whistle:

Currently the arrow implies to the user that player 1 has all the setting on the right of the arrow. It is not obviously a button and so it made me think that it was not a button but instead "Player 1 > Random Local Player | Team 1 | Gold = 100".

I think it is essential that we do not dis-incentivize people who are new to the game for reasons as minor as a confusing menu system.

If the arrow was changed to another more intuitive icon, such as a picture of a keep or something else that looks like it should be clicked (and is not merely part of the menu art) i think it would be beneficial. Alternatively a line a text could be added above the arrows that says "Choose Faction" or something similar.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Back after being away for a bit, this version looks amazing- great job on the UI and other graphics tweaks. Some other differences I've found, not sure if bug or feature:
No attack animations for units, only the generic "shadow" hit. I checked in the prefs and didn't see anything to switch.
No healing sound at villages.
I compiled and played on default settings. The heal sound file and animation sprites exist in data.
One minor visual nitpick, in AToTB during the dialogue parts, when a portrait is at the right of the screen the text is aligned all the way to the left, it could use some margin in there. Other than that, it's great to be on the battlefield again, listening to the music and making stupid moves :P
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Yeah, I've been occasionally complaining about that arrow ever since Vultraz introduced it. I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense. Adding text would help, I guess, but I'd prefer if it actually looked like a button.

Needing a margin for right-portrait messages has been brought up before. I imagine it will happen whenever someone gets around to it. >_>

Missing attack animations sounds like a major bug. Anyone else getting this?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Crow_T wrote:No attack animations for units,
I've seen this too, since early in 1.13 cycle, I think it has to do with cache: The cut-scene animations are all skipped, but they work later on in real scenarios?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I should note that I had to build using scons -config=force because a library wasn't seen (crypto). Could this cause issues? These seem like pretty big things to not get noticed previously, very well could be all on my end.

Recompiled with just scons and still have the issues above. :hmm:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Are there any errors logged about images not being found, or something similar? The --config=force for scons was just needed since scons caches the results of the checks it does for various libraries and functionality, and that flag forces it to redo them all instead of just looking at the cached result from a previous run.

You could try clearing Wesnoth's WML cache as well, to see if that fixes anything.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Pentarctagon wrote:Are there any errors logged about images not being found, or something similar? The --config=force for scons was just needed since scons caches the results of the checks it does for various libraries and functionality, and that flag forces it to redo them all instead of just looking at the cached result from a previous run.

You could try clearing Wesnoth's WML cache as well, to see if that fixes anything.
This got me pointed in the right direction, apparently I had built an older 1.13 version a while ago, deleted it, but I had a couple of mods that I forgot about still buried in the .local/share directory, out of sight and out of mind. Working as expected now, sorry for the scare (Happy Halloween?)
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I've noticed another difference:

In 1.12, when I start HttT, the music and the story text appear as soon as the background picture is displayed. In 1.13, there is a delay between the background picture appearing on screen and the music and story text playing/animating in.
naikon

Post by naikon »

Will first stable 1.14 version be the one to get released on steam?
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

That is the plan
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Is multiplayer version of Legend of Wesmere working properly now?