Puzzle challenges!

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deciton_Reven

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Wine is easy:
Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Yeah! That's exactly correct :D
This also easily generalizes to using more people:
Spoiler:
For the Four Witnesses thing, I think this is the issue with Ravana's truth table:
Spoiler:
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Here goes other puzzle:

The impossible math riddle:

2316=1
6786=4
7671=X
2759=1
9750=2

Which is the value of X?
(Note)=This puzzle can be solved without calculator.
Solution and Winner:
Last edited by Ephraim on August 13th, 2017, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I've seen it before so I'm not answering, but I'll give a hint:
Spoiler:
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I've also seen this one before. Maybe we could have a rule that when no one posts for a certain amount of time (a week or something?) then anyone can post a new one, to keep things going. I'd hate to see this thread die since it's been really fun!
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

I think I got it, X=1 isn't it?
reason:
If the solution is correct, I propose another one:

in a garden, there are 100 tigers and a sheep. Everyone can eat grass, but tigers are only half happy in doing so. The closest tiger to the sheep has the opportunity to eat it, which would make it entirely happy, but there's a problem: if a tiger eats a sheep, it will be transformed itself into a sheep. The tigers are aware of it and are perfectly trained in logic. What will happen? Will the tiger eat the sheep or not?
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Yeah, it's correct! Is the number of circles.

About the tigers...
Spoiler:
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Here's an idea: for this puzzle, everyone just make your final answer without explaining it, then in a couple days skeptical_troll tells us who's right?

I definitely could be wrong, but I think I have found a good reason that they will not eat the sheep.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Tigers:
Spoiler:
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky and Samonella are right, the tigers will not eat the sheep. I'll let them explain how they come to that conclusion, if they want :)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Wooh! I figured that since the tigers are all perfectly logical, they must come to the same conclusion as each other, so if one eats the sheep it's guaranteed that the next one will too. Since that would be a bad outcome for the tiger, it must decide to not eat the sheep, regardless of how it solves the chicken-or-the-egg logic.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hmm, this was my reasoning, though I don't know whether it's right :hmm:
Spoiler:
Since Samonella said he's out of ideas, I'll go ahead and post another one, a classic logic problem:

Two Paths

You come to a fork in the road, where one path leads to something awesome like 1000 gold and the other leads somewhere really unpleasant, like a corpse infested swamp.
There are two people standing at the fork who know which path leads where, but one always tells the truth and one always lies and you can't tell them apart.
You can only ask one question to one person. How do you determine which way to go?
Answer by GunChleoc:
(If the above was too easy, here is a more difficult bonus question:
Now in addition to the truth teller and liar, there is a third person who answers questions randomly, telling the truth 50% of the time and lying 50% of the time.
Using a total of two Yes/No questions (each addressed to one person, though not necessarily the same one) how do you determine the correct path?)
Edit: I forgot to mention, each person knows the truthtelling/lying habits of the other(s).
Answer to extra question:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Tigers: Ooh, I think Inky's reasoning was right, not mine.

Two Paths: :lol: Very nice wesnothy version. I've heard the main question before but will have to puzzle on the bonus. To be clear, the third person is truly random, not alternating between truths and lies?

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Two Paths: Yeah, I meant truly random. EDIT: Oops I phrased it wrong, I meant the third person tells the truth 50% of the time and lies 50% of the time at random. (Though the original wording of randomly choosing between yes/no probably works too. I don't remember the exact wording of this problem, the only important point is: the third person sometimes lies and sometimes tells the truth.)

Edit2: Another important thing I forgot to mention is that each person knows the truthtelling/lying habits of the others.

Glad you like the "wesnoth version" :D (The only thing is, if it's a necromancer or something I think they'd also love the corpse infested swamp :whistle: )