Puzzle challenges!

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Post by Samonella »

Spoiler:
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Very nice, you even got the bonus version of the question which was which set of three questions would work for all cases.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Yay!

I can't think of any more really hard ones, but this is the hardest one I made up for my RPG campaign. It's not much compared to the others on this thread, but if you try doing it without pencil and paper it should be a fun challenge.

Witness 1 says 'If 2 is telling the truth, then 3 or 4 also is (or all three of them).'
Witness 2 says '1 is telling the truth and so is 3 or 4 (or all three of them).'
Witness 3 says 'If 4 is telling the truth, then 2 is not.'
Witness 4 says 'Either I am telling the truth, or both 1 and 2 are (or all three of us).'

Which one(s) are telling the truth?

Inky's winning solution:
Last edited by Samonella on August 11th, 2017, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, really nice short and clear solution by Samonella!

As for the above puzzle, I don't think the solution is unique? :hmm:
Spoiler:
Velensk wrote:If you're looking for an interesting one, there's one I remember reading in a book
That sounds like a really fun book! Do you happen to remember what it was called?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Here's the way I understand ifs, using this definition I believe there is only one solution:
spoiler, but not the answer:

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Ohhh of course, I totally missed that!! :doh:

But isn't there still a second solution?
Spoiler:
edit: oh wait never mind that doesn't work. I should think more before posting :whistle:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

edited: ninja-ed by Inky's edit. So it sounds like you still know one solution, right?

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I found several solutions still
statements for truth table
Someone truths:
A&B => C|D
B => A & (C|D)
C&D => -B
D => D | (A&B) - always true

Someone lies:
-A&B => -(C|D)
-B => -A | -(C|D)
-C&D => B
-D => -D & -(A&B)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Hm, I think I understand your notation (=> is if, & is and, | is or, - is not) but I don't know what each statement is supposed to mean. Here is the truth table I made when making up this problem:
Spoiler, including (one) correct answer::

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Ravana: You know, I actually don't remember the name of that specific book however I do remember the name of the original book in that set. The name of the original book is "What is the Name of this Book" and it has sequels. If you find it and can hunt down everything else by that author you'll probably find it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thanks Velensk! (that was actually me who asked)

So I guess we're done with the previous one? Here is a new one, hopefully I remembered everything right.

The poisoned wine
The king has 500 barrels of wine, exactly one of which is poisoned. The only way to detect the poison is drinking it, which will result in death between 23-24 hours later. He needs to use the wine for a feast taking place in two days (48 hours). He has a couple... expendable... subjects on which he can test the wine. How can he identify the poisoned barrel in 48 hours using only 2 testers?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

my truth table with 5/16 true
Image I made that script 2 years ago.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

About the poisoned wine...
Spoiler:
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Four witnesses:
Poisoned wine: Way to go, Inky! Now I'm not the only one posting morbid puzzles! ;)
About Ephraim's solution:

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Four witnesses: I think maybe there's some self-referential stuff going on? :hmm: I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Poison: As Samonella said, the poison takes effect anywhere from 23 to 24 hours later - the exact time it takes is different every time, so if you drink a poisoned and normal barrel in the same hour interval you won't be able to tell which of the two killed you later.

And congratulations to Samonella for already solving it! 8) He didn't post the answer here to give other people time to think about it. :)