History of Vindalf — SP Campaign for Wesnoth 1.13

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ephraim

History of Vindalf — SP Campaign for Wesnoth 1.13

Post by Ephraim »

Hello!

I am Ephraim, a new campaign designer. I was reading this topic viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46477 and I said to myself: That's my opportunity to make my first campaign! It's featured in the Great continent, in the East of Wesnoth. There will be some human villages and... a Big Mage Academy!

Follow the histories of Vindalf trough all the Great Continent. The campaign will be published as soon as the new Great Continent map is ready!
Last edited by Ephraim on July 6th, 2017, 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
tr0ll

Re: Let's (try to) expand the great continent!

Post by tr0ll »

I would estimate from the number of soldiers it can support, that the size of one village tile represents 1 to maybe 10 villagers. So the total population of the continent isnt big enough to pressure people to settle elsewhere. Raids and other factors might make people uproot, but there is plenty of space nearby, and they wouldnt want to be very far away from others due to the risks of travel for trade.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

That's right. But there shouldn't be any trading between Wesnoth and this other land. I was thinking on establish this population, about 500 people + the magicians, who come from all over the continent: elves, humans, some dwarf arcanister; before the travel of Haldric to the Great Continent. The Great Magic Academy could be founded by the Lich—Lords...
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

Other possible explanations could be:
Persecution: You could create a situation where the Lich-Lords were exiled for practicing necromancy and fled to this new land with their followers. They would probably try to keep their land hidden in fear of further persecution and nobody would want to seek them out for fear of their dark arts.
Civil War: Another explanation is that they are the remnants of the losing faction in a civil war that have fled Wesnoth and are now forgotten. They could have a reputation of bandits and raiders which deters most traders.
Penal Colony: It might be a penal colony that broke free from Wesnoth's rule and has acquired autonomy. Since they wouldn't be a threat to Wesnoth (at least in the beginning) and it wouldn't be too profitable they are officially regarded as criminals but since they aren't directly affecting Wesnoth they are left alone.
Additionally if Wesnoth is sparsely populated there would be no need for expansion and thus no need to attack the Magic Academy.
These are some ideas off the top of my head and there are probably many other possible explanations.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

I was thinking so hard and...
The Lich-Lords where exiled to marginal lands: the Great Continent. They built a sanctuary for practise their dark rituals, and Jeyvan went to the western coast of the Great Continent when Haldric arrived, to fight him. When he was defeated, the humans sent crusades to fight agaisnt the remains of the Lich-Lords, and one of them found the Sanctuary. Unable to destroy it, the leader of that crusade established a village there, and he rebuilt the Sanctuary to allow all type of magic to work there. People of all over the Great Continent visited the Great Academy of Magic, and studied its secrets. (Rebuilt Sanctuary = Great Magic Academy)

Is a good story?
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

I like the idea of a crusade but there's a problem with the leader establishing an academy there.
If people from all over the continent visited the academy there would have been a lot of trade between the academy and the rest of the continent. Quite apart from miniature Academies vendors there would be hotels for visitors and inns along the way to accommodate the travelers.
A solution to the problem of having a great academy while still being isolated could be that when the leader of the crusade found the sanctuary he realised the potential of the place and he began a secretive magic order that studies all types of magic that only accepts a few members outside of its own ranks from all over the continent. This would mean that while yes its a great academy of powerful mages of all stripes not many people would visit it because they'd guard their secrets well.

Also if I recall correctly there weren't any humans on the great continent before Haldric and Jevyan followed Haldric rather than being there first. Its been a while since I played the campaign though so I may be mistaken.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Yes. There weren't any humans before Jeyvan on the Great Continent. The crusades come after Jeyvan was defeated by Haldric. The Sanctuary was built by Jeyvan and his minions before Haldric arrives.
About the trading problem: only those who are born in some specific conditions can become great mages. When they reach a certain age, some Masters of the academy visit the person in his home/land, and if that person wants to become a mage, he can follow these masters to the academy. The students live in the academy, as the master mages.
I think there is a magic academy in Alduin. It can be an extension of the original Great Magic Academy for Wesnoth people, so they do not have to travel so far from their home.
Jeffers0n

Re: History of Vindalf

Post by Jeffers0n »

So its an invitation only academy? that would work. Are they part of Wesnoth? If so, how do they deal with the laws against necromancy?
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

«You don't choose the Academy. The Academy chooses you.»

They aren't from the empire of Wesnoth, but the Academy of Alduin island yes. Some mages of Alduin are called by the Masters of the Great Academy to become even most powerful magicians.

All the mages must pass a test to become true mages: is a true test.
Example: Some bandits have attacked the village. The mage must defeat them to become a graduated mage.

The necromancy is forbidden in the Academy. They only fight agaisnt it if a necromancer attack them, but they don't search necromancers around the world to kill them.
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

Nice
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Hello!
The campaign will be for BfW 1.13,
So if you are still stuck in 1.12, install the latest version: 1.13!
tr0ll

Re: History of Vindalf — SP Campaign for Wesnoth 1.13

Post by tr0ll »

Ah the mages who are called to greater power... Sounds like something that happened before the Fall: Mages become so powerful that they sent a mountain into the sky to burn and be a second sun.

The odd minor versions are for development and are not as widely released to distros. So the new campaign would be targeted at Wesnoth 1.14.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Yes!
That's a great idea! But there is a problem. Vindalf is a mage from the Great Magic Academy, and they don't want to have anything to do with Wesnoth. Only the most powerful mages are called to (let's make an abbrev: Great Magic Academy= GMA) GMA, from other magic academies. Those academies can be placed at: Isle of Alduin, Wesmere Forest, and some dwarf rune-magic academy. So, the great mages didn't like the idea of rise a second sun.

But there is a solution:

-Vindalf was from Alduin Magic Academy, and later was called to GMA, and he was one of the mages who rose the second sun.
-If the second sun was risen to stop the undead (and the sun affects the whole Irdya, not only Wesnoth), maybe the undead was attacking all the Great Continent and was needed the help of an alliance between Wesnoth and GMA to rise a second sun that stopped them.

The question is:

The second sun was risen to stop the undead according to the official story, or does not say anything about that?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

hmm i just replayed UtBS and they are saying the second sun might have been created by elven magic, it was not the mountain thrown to the sky. will have to keep digging. anyway, there is lots of room for great magery early or later in Irdya history.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Well the Future history section in the timeline of wesnoth https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Future_History says this:
1542 YW
Vikren VIII secretly decrees the creation of Naia, an artificial sun to serve as Irdya's second sun. He gives specific orders to conceal the matter from Elynia.
1557 YW
Naia is created and sent to the skies by the High Council of Archmagi.
Ambassadors are sent everywhere in the known world after the fact, to reassure all that the intentions behind the creation of the new sun are benign.
The second sun was made by the human mages on the order of the Emperor to weaken the forces of evil, primarily the undead and ensure prosperity for the kingdom.
( this is semi canonical though since its mostly the backstory for IftU and AtS )
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play