The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vulpine

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Vulpine »

Indeed it does! The cloak really helps. I thought the claws would've been cool, as very few units have metal claws, but the knife works. The scythe looks a bit odd though, but probably not enough to require changing it. The blade looks slightly cone-shaped I think, and the shaft is somewhat jagged.

There are small issues with transparency and shadows, but those are only issues if the transparency affects the magenta tc, and if you want the shadows to be consistent with current mainline.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you for the feedback Vulpine, yes i do agree the scythe looks slightly odd. It would be fine but the shape makes it seem less deadly so i will see if i can improve it. 8)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

In response to Vulpine here is the nightpurger again with a somewhat improved scythe:
Attachments
nightpurger.png
nightpurger.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Also i wonder... Some of the level 5 units i have created are quite big (around the size of the fire dragon) and i guess some people may prefer smaller sprites that fit into a single hex so i was wondering do any of the following look too large?

Shown below is in-game photos of a level 1 unit and the (possibly too large) level 5 unit:
In game photos
Comparison-Lvl5-Mountain.png
Comparison-Lvl5-Mountain.png (341.17 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Comparison-Lvl5-Inferno.png
Comparison-Lvl5-Inferno.png (278.99 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Comparison-Lvl5-Devourer.png
Comparison-Lvl5-Devourer.png (330.08 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Comparison-Lvl5-Abaddon.png
Comparison-Lvl5-Abaddon.png (332.84 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

personally, I am fine with gigantic units (they are lvl5, after all). Btw, the 'mountain' unit should be moved higher on the image (his feet are currently lower than his ellipse, which looks quite bad, in my opinion)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you that is a good point (that i had somehow missed) :D And i am glad you like the larger sprites. Personally i also believe that bigger is better.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

btw, I think Inferno should have a larger sprite (it currently looks like a lvl3/lvl4, but clearly not lvl5)

also, I think it would be nice if the mountain unit had some more trees on it, and maybe a peak.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Those are both good ideas, Thank you i will see what i can do! Meanwhile here are some sprites i drew over the past few days:

(the abaddon looks a little bit frozen in place and the dragonier needs some creativity so suggestions are, as always, welcome)
Attachments
abaddon.png
abaddon.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
ultimatar.png
ultimatar.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Old version, now soooo much better
Old version, now soooo much better
dragonier.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
OLD see below for new with magical glow
OLD see below for new with magical glow
arcanister_greater.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Last edited by The_Gnat on July 1st, 2017, 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I think having abaddon's tail be behind him instead of circling him would help.

about dragonier: I think you should give him a golden (with TC) dragon mask or head (can be worn like a wolf head (still showing his face)), and maybe make his cloak partially made of dragon scales, and experiment with the thunderstick a bit.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

sorry If what I said was a bit confusing, I meant either that the dwarf should have a golden mask shaped like a dragon head, or should wear a dragon head like this:
pelt.png
pelt.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

From Kwandulin's new sprite here is a modified version of the Ancient Arcanister, it is much better now with a very magical look :D
arcanister_greater.png
arcanister_greater.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 3294 times

@ Forest Dragon - No that was not confusing at all those are really good ideas, Thank you! I think with those changes to the Dragonier combined with slightly enlarging this sprite it will look better. However, I am aiming for level 5 so i think it might need some more improvements. (but we will see soon once i draw it ;) )
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:From Kwandulin's new sprite here is a modified version of the Ancient Arcanister, it is much better now with a very magical look :D
Great! :D looks better than the original in my opinion
The_Gnat wrote:@ Forest Dragon - No that was not confusing at all those are really good ideas, Thank you! I think with those changes to the Dragonier combined with slightly enlarging this sprite it will look better. However, I am aiming for level 5 so i think it might need some more improvements. (but we will see soon once i draw it ;) )
I think what I proposed should be lvl4 (the current lvl4 being just a masked dragonguards looks underwhelming, to be honest). The lvl5 could maybe ride a some kind of mech. something like this below, but with a rider who is same as what I proposed, not so tall legs (and having the mech itself not as big as in the example), gold-ish metal, and a metalic dragon head/a few thundersticks attached to it:
from the Trinity add-on
from the Trinity add-on
machine-basegun.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Again: Great idea! I think the mech would look really good gold. And instead of having a thunderstick the mech could fire its cannon. :D

Here is an attempt at the head:
dragonier.png
dragonier.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yeah, a cannon sounds good. It can be located in the mech's dragon mouth :)

the headwear looks too large compared to the rest of the sprite. Making the sprite larger would fix the problem.

also, I think it would be nice if the dragonstaff was a bit fatter, and slightly longer.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

True... This is the head on a sprite the size of the arcanister. Do you think it is better sized? If not i think the head probably needs shrinking.
royal-dragonier.png
royal-dragonier.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
:D