Elvish Incursion: A Prologue

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vulpine

Elvish Incursion: A Prologue

Post by Vulpine »

Hello all, "Elvish Incursion" is my first campaign ever to get to this stage of production!

Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated, as I still have much to improve upon.

If you see any typos, plot-holes, game-play potholes, please let me know!

As for the art: the portraits are all from mainline, with Wark's being tweaked just slightly, but the story-art comes from various sources. If I gave credit where it was not due, please correct me.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Racoon

Re: Elvish Incursion: A Prologue

Post by Racoon »

A Review
I really like the dialogue and characters, but it still needs a lot of polishing.
I also like short maps and campaigns, so this was perfect, it kept me moving quickly through the game without having to play one scenario too long.
Overall I would say that it is one of the better add-ons I've played! (Except for all the bugs)
bugs and other stuff, spoiler alert
Played on normal hardness

Scenario 1
*In the first scenario the elvish lady can just sit in the forest and totally slaughter all the people chasing her.

Scenario 2
*in the second scenario where the peasant comes barging in, the dialogue and the sound effects should be separated with parenthesis or something.

Scenario 3
*In the third scenario all the villages belong to the reds (my team) is this on purpose? And if so why are there two villages that are occupied by the blue forces that are still red?

*Slight confusion about where the gate is. Maybe you can label the gate with a big "gate" label?

*Maybe a road should lead to the town?

*Turn 14, of scenario 3: I am totally confused that didn’t win when I totally wiped the mercenaries out.

*By the way the comment about the force being with me is a bit out of place.

Scenario 4
*When Kait speaks there is nothing in the dialogue panel. is this on purpose?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*In between scenarios 4-5 there are a few spelling errors.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario 5
*It would be nice if the screen moved so that I could see the units appearing.

Scenario 6
*Dragons are easy.

Scenario 7
*Again it would be nice if the screen moved so that I could see the units appearing.
*It is really hard to tell the castle apart from the roads.
*My allies go right for the villages, isn’t it strange that they don’t already have them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Error while playing the game: game_error: creating unit with an empty field"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It really sucked not being able to read the end story I hope you fix it soon!
Last edited by Racoon on April 11th, 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Alrighty, I updated the campaign a couple of times fixing some of the bugs.

I believe I caught all the bugs.

About scenario 6,
Spoiler:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Racoon

Post by Racoon »

Yes! you got it fixed! thanks, it was still fun the second time around.
Just a few more things I noticed, "Spoiler alert":
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thank you so much!

Regarding the art, the fencer's sword being cut off was deliberate, though it may have been a poor choice. Same with the paints strokes and the edge-blur (Which I suck at anyway...) Again, it may be a poor choice. But I like the main campaign image better when it blurs into the blue.

I fixed the AMLA problem.
Spoiler:
Thank you so much for your feedback!

And to any others, let me know how you liked the campaign, or if you noticed anything that needs correcting, or even plain suggestions!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

V0.1.6 is out. With it some minor changes to some scenarios, in particular S1 and S7. S1 should not be so impossible on Normal, though it may be just ever so slightly harder on hard. I forgot to change the music, so that will have to wait till the next release... :whistle:
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Version 1 is out finally! I tweaked S4 just slightly, and adjusted the scenario music. I also updated the Server description. I also added a macro to clear a variable that I hadn't seen to yet. All in all, I think it is complete. I might make graphical additions in the distant future, but it is completely playable to my knowledge.

Have fun!
Attachments
Cue the drum roll!
Cue the drum roll!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
taptap

Post by taptap »

How is the first scenario supposed to work? Two units against the rest? Fleeing to be sandwiched? Are the elves in the forest supposed to be hostile? (Two units is too low to do much strategy, it will likely be either too easy or impossible.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

:hmm: What difficulty are you playing on?
Spoiler:
Do you think it needs more balancing, or more clear objectives, or both?

One more thing, for those of you who might have missed this.
Spoiler:
Many thanks for your feedback! The fires of the critics shall consume the dross, leaving only the purest gold!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
taptap

Post by taptap »

i tried on hard, ran at once, got caught between the many units floating around. trying to use weapons specials etc. means you need to stick around instead of retreating, more units catch up, you get bogged down and die ... of course i didn't know how many elves will show up, but imo there is no point in putting in more opponents on hard. as you won't be able to do much strategy with two units, it is one thing to outplay easier difficulties with a handful of units, but with two? if your playtester says he needs good rng, it is too hard.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I have done my best to fix this without changing the way the units were placed.
Also regarding the add-on description I believe I used the word "tactically" improperly, conveying the wrong idea. If I am not mistaken, "tactics" refers to the way you handle your units in skirmishes, and strategy refers to the wider battlefield. (All within a single scenario.) I have changed the description somewhat, hopefully conveying the right idea a bit better. I apologize for the misleading information.

Hard should be doable now without good streaks of luck, though I am not certain, as my beta-tester has not played it yet, having just been uploaded.
Spoiler:
Once again, your help is much appreciated! I did not think my playtester was one of the more advanced players, and that if he could get by with good rng, the stronger players would be able to do it with less trouble, but I would appear to be wrong :oops: I myself never played it through on hard, not being that advanced yet. (I still struggle with normal difficulty in most campaigns.)
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

A great add-on, IMO. I like shorter, fast paced campaigns.
Spoiler:
Edit:Whoops! Just re-read the description and discovered what it's a prologue to. Ignore my question. :D
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Scenario 4, A Thief in the Night- or at least I think it was... My memory doesn't serve me well :oops:
Could you expand on that please? I know it and the first one are kinda poorly thought out, but any help on how to improve would be appreciated :)
Thanks for the compliments! I wrote the campaign exactly because I liked short hack-and-slash/massacre-the-poor-enemies maps :lol:

Unfortunately I don't think the main campaign is going to come soon. I tried storyboarding it, then realized it was waaaay too drawn out. Almost no story. So I put it on a back burner while I worked on other things :|
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

So, Scenario 4. I'm not quite sure if this is spoiler, so...
Spoiler:
On Scenario 1:
Spoiler:
And a quick note.
Spoiler:
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thank you! I will work on improving them in my spare time. It's good hearing how people enjoy it, or how they didn't. I'll keep all this in mind next time I write a campaign.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]