Info File

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
MerlinCross

Info File

Post by MerlinCross »

I'm trying to start a campaign. Simple currently, just a one stage to get my feet wet. Problem is that I've copied from another add-on campaign as a baseline. I'm in the process of editing everything over and removing what I don't need. Here's the problem.

When I opened up the Info File, I see a big message of "Do Not Edit". I went to check other add-ons and they all say "Do not Edit". So if I make my own Campaign, don't I have to change things in this info file or does file rewrite itself?
ForestDragon

Re: Info File

Post by ForestDragon »

the 'info.cfg' file is only for people who downloaded the addon in order for the addon server to check if the addon has any updates. to upload it, you need a '_server.pbl' file. in order to see what is needed for that file, google 'battle for wesnoth pblwml'
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

And how would I make that?

See the editor I've been using is just Sublimetext which has opened all the .cfg files easily but I dunno if I can make a pbl file with it.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you use google like ForestDragon suggested, you come up with this link: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/PBLWML There is an example .pbl file at the bottom of the page, and that might be all you need to read.

.cfg files and .pbl files are just plain text with a different extension, so any text editor can work with them. That includes info.cfg, but that's automatically generated, so you don't need to make one.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

beetlenaut wrote:If you use google like ForestDragon suggested, you come up with this link: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/PBLWML There is an example .pbl file at the bottom of the page, and that might be all you need to read.

.cfg files and .pbl files are just plain text with a different extension, so any text editor can work with them. That includes info.cfg, but that's automatically generated, so you don't need to make one.
I mean I read it but I didn't know how to make it still from just the wiki entry. Thanks for the heads up though. I just see a lot of different file names at times and my brain goes "Nope". So this was helpful.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

MerlinCross wrote:I mean I read it but I didn't know how to make it still from just the wiki entry.
"Just" the wiki entry? It tells you what to call it, where to put it, what it does, and exactly what lines to put in it. I don't know what else you would need to know in order to make one. If you have a specific question we can probably help, but otherwise, maybe you should just reread the wiki page until you do understand it.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

beetlenaut wrote:
MerlinCross wrote:I mean I read it but I didn't know how to make it still from just the wiki entry.
"Just" the wiki entry? It tells you what to call it, where to put it, what it does, and exactly what lines to put in it. I don't know what else you would need to know in order to make one. If you have a specific question we can probably help, but otherwise, maybe you should just reread the wiki page until you do understand it.
I suppose I wanted to know if the text editor I've been using would be enough to let me make the info file as I've just been using a free to use editor. Actually that probably would be something to ask elsewhere, "What editors do people use".
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, your editor is just fine. These are not different file formats, they're all just plain text files and the only difference is the file extension. Generally speaking, if your editor can open a file and the contents look in any way intelligible, then that editor can edit and create those files.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

As shown by zookeepers link this is a good example of a pbl file:

Code: Select all

author="YOU"
description="INTERESTING STUFF"
email="MYEMAIL"
icon="JUST_SOME_IMAGE_FILE_FROM_MAINLINE"
passphrase="A_PASSWORD"
title="YOUR_ADDONS_NAME"
type="TYPE"
version=0.1
I suggest using notepad. Just paste this code (with all the capital words replaced with the correct information) into a file named "_server.pbl" in your new add-on's folder.

(but i have found that for many files the new line characters are confused and so it can not be read in notepad. A simple fix is open the file in wordpad - save the file - and then open it in notepad)

NOTE: the type= field can include any one of these

Hopefully this helps! :D

EDIT: here is a link to notepad++ home page
sergey

Post by sergey »

MerlinCross wrote:I suppose I wanted to know if the text editor I've been using would be enough to let me make the info file as I've just been using a free to use editor.
Probably you already understand that, just in case - you shouldn't create the _info.cfg file, it is auto-generated. You need to create the _server.pbl file. I think that campaign development is not easy for a non programmers, so good luck!
beetlenaut wrote:"Just" the wiki entry? It tells you what to call it, where to put it, what it does, and exactly what lines to put in it. I don't know what else you would need to know in order to make one.
+1 Wesnoth wiki is really good :)
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.