Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by gfgtdf »

Dugi wrote:This is exactly the root of the problem. Will there be some later 1.12 version that would fix it? IMO, it's quite a huge bug.
no, even in the rather unlikeley case that another 1.12 version comes out, it mostlikeley won't fix this one since it directly effect the gamestate and we aren't sure whether it will casue OOS when different versions play together.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
firefox

Post by firefox »

i think this was reported before, but now i have encountered it too:
the gauntlet Touch of Death reduces the number of attacks by 4, but if it is equipped on a unit with less than 4 attacks (so, almost every unit) the number of attacks becomes infinite.

here's a save file. the item is equipped to the elvish shaman.
something made the game freeze during the AI turn, it may be related to the Touch of Death...
LotI1-The_Return-Auto-Save2.gz
(520.51 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
dabber

Post by dabber »

In theory, what unit would want to use Touch of Death? Typically I'm ecstatic to add a single attack, so the idea of subtracting 4 attacks seems inconceivable.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

I think, since Touch of Death gives 16 more damage to compensate the decreased 4 attack, it's good for units that will give a final blow to an enemy. The decreased attack can be countered by using an item with anger special attack. So, for example an unit with 6 attacks that wears Touch of Death and Anger will have 4 attacks left, not too bad, right?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

gfgtdf wrote:no, even in the rather unlikeley case that another 1.12 version comes out, it mostlikeley won't fix this one since it directly effect the gamestate and we aren't sure whether it will casue OOS when different versions play together.
What about making the fix singleplayer-only?
firefox wrote:i think this was reported before, but now i have encountered it too:
I have fixed that one already in the github version.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Dugi, why are some weapon specials coded as [damage] (explosive and its variants) and some as [dummy] (hose, storm, others)?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'd question the merit of ever using dummy - any made-up tag will have the same effect and may make it easier if you need to manipulate the abilities from code.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Lordlevis wrote:How do you make a custom plague attack? I've tried many things but it never works, so how do you do it?
For example with this:

Code: Select all

{WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE}
[+plague]
    type=Fire Dragon  # Or whatever type you want to create
[/plague]
The [plague] tag accepts the type argument that makes it spawn other enemy types.
dabber wrote:Dugi, why are some weapon specials coded as [damage] (explosive and its variants) and some as [dummy] (hose, storm, others)?
For no reason.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I'd question the merit of ever using dummy - any made-up tag will have the same effect and may make it easier if you need to manipulate the abilities from code.
When any made-up tag works, why not dummy then? It works thanks to the weapon special's id, not thanks to the tag name.
dabber

Post by dabber »

dabber wrote:Dugi, why are some weapon specials coded as [damage] (explosive and its variants) and some as [dummy] (hose, storm, others)?
For no reason.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I'd question the merit of ever using dummy - any made-up tag will have the same effect and may make it easier if you need to manipulate the abilities from code.
When any made-up tag works, why not dummy then? It works thanks to the weapon special's id, not thanks to the tag name.
If the name of the tag doesn't matter, in concept, what does that tag mean or do?

Now they are coded, for example, like this:

[damage]
        id=explosive
        name= _ "explosive"
        description= _ "blah blah blah"
    [/damage]
But could they be coded like this?

[explosive]
        name= _ "explosive"
        description= _ "blah blah blah"
    [/explosive]
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Dugi wrote:What about making the fix singleplayer-only?
Its still questionable since people might rely (having their campaign balanced based) on the old beahviour.

I think one of the main reason why people se [dummy] is that mainline feeding used it and uiirc there is alsoa wiki page reccomneind it.
Dugi wrote: When any made-up tag works, why not dummy then? It works thanks to the weapon special's id, not thanks to the tag name.
There is a lua function wesnoth.unit_ability to check whether a unit is under the effect of an ability, it requires the abilities tagname. Afaik this is the main reason why i'd reccomend using a custom tagname.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

James_The_Invisible wrote:While this works, it is unnecessary complicated. There is macro WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE_TYPE in core which has TYPE parameter.
While it's true that that macro exists, I wouldn't say it's necessarily less complicated. In particular, you might want a custom description for your custom plague ability, in which case the +tag syntax may be more appropriate.
dabber wrote: If the name of the tag doesn't matter, in concept, what does that tag mean or do?
Some tag names imply special effects that are coded into the game engine. Any other tag is just taken as an ability to display to the user with no gameplay effect; generally, you would then implement the desired effect using events.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

dabber wrote:But could they be coded like this?
WML's event filter can identify units using the ability ids they have, it's far harder for anything else the ability has:

[event]
  name=last breath
  [filter_second]
    ability=killhunger
  [/filter_second]
  #...
[/event]
gfgtdf wrote:There is a lua function wesnoth.unit_ability to check whether a unit is under the effect of an ability, it requires the abilities tagname. Afaik this is the main reason why i'd reccomend using a custom tagname.
Then it has quite an inconsistency with the filter tag.
Anyway, I usually prefer unified tag names in WML because it's hard to iterate through tags with different names in WML. And in LotI, it's used and more tag names would complicate it.
sylo

Post by sylo »

Hi i got Version 1.13.4 of the game and 3.1.21c of the addon.
During 1 scenario of second chapter when i equip some items ( for example dark gloves of destruction ) with Lethalia she "die" and i lose. I cant store them (when i choose the option, nothing happen).
When i lvl up during AI turn i dont get any benefits (or cant choose which one) and she get animation showing she is double time lvl-ing.
Anyone knew how to fix it?:x
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Dugi wrote:Then it has quite an inconsistency with the filter tag.
Anyway, I usually prefer unified tag names in WML because it's hard to iterate through tags with different names in WML. And in LotI, it's used and more tag names would complicate it.
Yes but note that they also check different things, the ability filter afaik only check whther the unit has an ability with that id at all (whether [unit][abilities] has a child tag with that id), while that lua function checks whether the unitis currently affected by that ability: it will not only check unit filters in that ability, it will also check whether an adjacent unit has that ability with [affect_adjacent]
dabber

Post by dabber »

Dugi wrote:Okay, now he's guaranteed to drop a high gem (emerald or higher, significantly improved probabilities, the chance to get a black pearl from him is 11%).
Beelzebub is not dropping a nice gem for me, and I don't see anything about a special gem drop in utils.cfg from github. Yet that quote is from November?
Last edited by dabber on March 7th, 2017, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.