Platoon Wars Era (Ex-Infantry Wars Era)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Platoon Wars Era (Ex-Infantry Wars Era)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Hello, I'd like to introduce a new era I made.

It's called it the Infantry War era, and it comprises two factions, a Military faction and a Terrorist Faction fighting each other with firearms(mostly).
It has 12 MP Maps, with several goals, and 5 types of maps(Normal PvP Maps, Plant/Defuse the Bomb,Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Escape/Assassination).

Infantry Wars units

Any suggestions and bug reports are welcome.
Attachments
Image Sample
Image Sample
iw-sample.png (344.66 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
&quot;City Ruins&quot;<br />Capture The Flag  type MP Map
"City Ruins"
Capture The Flag type MP Map
&quot;Aircraft Carrier&quot;<br />Bomb/Defuse  type MP Map
"Aircraft Carrier"
Bomb/Defuse type MP Map
&quot;Trench&quot;<br />King of the Hill type MP Map
"Trench"
King of the Hill type MP Map
&quot;World War 2&quot;<br />MP Map
"World War 2"
MP Map
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on October 31st, 2021, 11:31 pm, edited 20 times in total.
ForestDragon

Re: Infantry Wars Era beta

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice! looks promising :)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Update, added a new units, Machine Gun nest and made a few changes to the map included in the era.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hi, so, I played the era a bit, and it's not bad, but extremely raw, here is some feedback/critique:
1.the add-on description barely says anything, could you make it a bit more detailed?. also, no need to mention the version in the add-on's name
2.also, the era description (when selection the era) is missing. you should add one.
3.in the faction selection menu you should add a 'random' option (just add the '{RANDOM_SIDE}' inside the [era] tag)
4.the gun attack icons have a white background. it would look better if these attack icons had black background just like most attack icons
5.it would be nice if you added at least lvl2 troops, or at least make the troops have interesting AMLAs, like Kaleh (protagonist) in the 'Under the Burning Suns' campaign
6.some units' defense animations don't appear in some cases, i think you should replace defense animations like this:

Code: Select all

{DEFENSE_ANIM_FILTERED "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-pistol-defend-2.png" "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-pistol-defend-1.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_HIT} (
        [filter_second_attack]
            name=Beretta Model 84,Smith and Wesson Model 29,Colt M1911,Glock 17
        [/filter_second_attack]
    )}
{DEFENSE_ANIM_FILTERED "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-Casull-defend-2.png" "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-Casull-defend-1.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_HIT} (
        [filter_second_attack]
            name=Colt Python,.454 Casull
        [/filter_second_attack]
    )}
with something like this:

{DEFENSE_ANIM "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-Casull-defend-2.png" "units/Counter-Terrorists/CT-Casull-defend-1.png" {SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_HIT} }
because having defense animations against specific attacks doesn't make much sense in most cases, and makes it harder to add new units.
7.MG Nest is slightly overpowered, do the following nerfs: make his fire resistance -60%, hp, reduce arcane/blade/cold/pierce resistances to 30%, and impact resistance to -10%. also, change the attack to 6-6. horever, you could make the MG nest still able to use the grenade
8.since you have kitchen terrain in the addon's folder, you could add a map that is a mediocre-sized settlement which terrorists are trying to attack (duh), and naturally, counter-terrorists try to prevent that from happening
9.add an option for MG Nest to climb out, and become a machine gunner (requires the MG Nest not have attacked on it's turn. when the Machine Gunner climbs out, he can move/attack, but only has has 3 mp)
10.make Infantry Wars units have a custom race: 'IW Humans', which have no traits, by using the 'ignore_global_traits=yes' inside the [race] tag (since currently, the traits affect the IW units way too much) and also, it will make it easier to look at their descriptions when there other eras with humans installed
11.you have a shotgun unit in the era's files, but you don't use it. could you implement it?
12.also, you could make the Sniper/Marksman, and some other units able to shoot a few tiles across (look at 'Ranged Attacks' MP mod. you could borrow most of the code from there)

also, maybe change it's name to alpha instead of beta?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Spoiler:
That's some nice feedback. Thank you.
Also I'll look into that bug in ZA.

Answers:
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:6-Really? That's odd, I'll look into it. Are you sure have the latest version? I did have an issue with Terrorists defenses yesterday but I think had fixed them all in version 1.0.3.
I have 1.0.3b
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:9-They actually did have that option, but I got rid of it this version because I thought it could be abused for healing purposes.
in order to prevent that, you can make the machine gunners' hp stored before they turn into MG nests, and unstored when they go back to normal
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:11-I'd like to use them, I have to think of a way to make them unique and useful.
well, maybe make them have powerful attacks, but slow firing rate (for example, 18-1 melee, or something like that)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Update: I've been implemented some of the changes mentioned in the topic.
-Added a shotgun unit.
-Race
-Changed most of the unit attack and defenses slightly. I am trying to make Army and Terror units a bit more different from each other. (Terror units being possibly more stealthy, night-time oriented, possible use of chemical weapons as poison and improvised weapons.)

It would be cool if someone wants to help and give me some ideas about more changes and ways to balance both factions, units.
I don't have so much time anymore, so if anybody wants to collaborate, it is welcome.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

more feedback:
1.the 'IW Humans' race needs this in order to work (make a file in the 'units' folder with the [race] tag code, otherwise it won't work) also, here is my version of the it:

[race]
        id=IW_Humans
        male_name= _ "race^IW Human"
        female_name= _ "race+female^IW Human"
        plural_name= _ "race^IW Humans"
        description= _ ""
        num_traits=0
        ignore_global_traits=yes
        markov_chain_size=2
        {HUMAN_NAMES}
    [/race]
2.also, the terrorist Sniper's movement type doesn't exist
3.Soldier's defense animation doesn't exist
EDIT:4.i feel that Terrorists are a bit overpowered in some cases, or sometimes identical. anyway, here are some ideas:
-make Terrorist Ranger have 'concealment', but Miltary Ranger have a 10-1 HE grenade
-make all melee attacks ranged, and make the ones that are ranged have a custom range: long-ranged, or something like that. this will make the era a bit more mainline-friendly
-Molotov Coctail is currently not single-use. fix that. also, make it 10-1, or something
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version:
I updated some animations and now there are 3, bigger, MP maps.
Next update I'll probably work on units balance. I need time to get some ideas.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Version 1.0.8 is released and it has got quite a lot of changes in both Military and Terrorists units, including their movetypes, attacks, images and some animations too. I gave terrorists the ability to plant bombs in the map(max 2 bombs per team).
ForestDragon

Re: Infantry Wars Era

Post by ForestDragon »

some feedback:
1.Medic still has no defense animation, same goes for RPG
2.in the new maps, could you make it clearer about the location of village ovelays? like adding images to the hexes, and making the map description mention about them.
3.you could use this attack icon for HE Grenade/Molotov Cocktail/other exlosives:
explosion-orange-2.png
explosion-orange-2.png (9.51 KiB) Viewed 10775 times
5.Chemical unit has no proper animation for his ranged attack
4.Medics use the white mage halo when healing. remove it.
5.Terrorist Chemical unit uses a mask-less animation for his pistol attack. add a masked variant, specifically for his unit
6.Tank's cannon attack could use the thunderstick attack icon from mainline. also, the unit itself feels very raw. here are some ideas to make it at least semi-interesting:
-make him have only 500 hp, 50% fire resistance, 70% blade/pierce resistances, 30% impact
7.you could make chemical weapons use the 'cold' damage type. and, naturally, make MG Nest weak to it
8.maybe implement jeeps as units? you already have them in the add-on files anyway.
9.Guerilla can't make MG Nests for some reason. fix that. same goes for booby traps.
PapaSmurfReloaded

ForestDragon wrote:some feedback:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Big Update!
1.10 is out

-Made clearer descriptions for units, races and maps.
-Added a Capture the Flag and Hostages scenarios to the game maps.
-Now Medics and Gunner/Guerilla conserve their % of life when changing between their forms(MG Nests and Field Hospitals). And got rid of the menu interface when doing that. (It's one click now)
-Got rid of the score option.
-Now units have idle animations.
-Fixed the issues units had with defense animations and changed some attack animations.
-Fixed some missing icons.
-Added a map (I know it might not quite fit the era but... it stays there, for now)

The addon is quite nearing what I'd call its final version. :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

1.Attack Hound uses the '.txt' extension, change it to '.cfg'
2.Gunner doesn't have an attack icon for his primary attack. fix this.
3.MG Nests (on both factions) have no movement types (resistances,defenses,movement costs)
4.Commando still can't use booby traps. same story with Gunners/MG Nests and Medics/Field Hospitals
5.Medic doesn't use a defense animation (shows 'image not found')
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

1.Attack Hound uses the '.txt' extension, change it to '.cfg'. also, the unit itself isn't used.
2.Gunner doesn't have an attack icon for his primary attack. fix this.
3.MG Nests (on both factions) have no movement types (resistances,defenses,movement costs)
4.Commando still can't use booby traps. same story with Gunners/MG Nests and Medics/Field Hospitals
5.Medic doesn't use a defense animation (shows 'image not found') same goes for terrorist (and maybe soldier?) sniper.