Wesnoth sheet music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skeptical_troll

Re: Wesnoth sheet music

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky wrote:Hmm I think it's (c# e a e) d g# e | -- (a d f# a) e | -- (c# e a e) d g# e | a ?
I think after replaying it a couple of times, now I hear (c# e a e) d b e | -- (a d f# a) e | -- (c# e a e) d b e | a
maybe there are both the b and the g# and my ear pick up the highest pitch (violinist bias probably).

same at 80: as you say there are both B - A and D - C#. Again, I tend to hear more the high one, in this case also because it is played by the flute, who has been playing the melody till this point.
Inky wrote:I think the pickup to 107 is a triplet
You are right, the first time is a triplet!
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Inky wrote: The Overture is from West's Waters of Redemption album which is pretty epic!
I hate to be a spoil-sport here but while the other songs are CC BY-SA and thus free game for transcription, Waters of Redemption is neither free (costs money) nor free (all rights reserved). Definitely a cool album though.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

skeptical troll: Oh I see, thanks for explaining, I changed both passages to the way you said.
p.s. off topic- violin music is awesome! (I have all of Hilary Hahn's albums :))

pyndragon: Ah okay, I removed that one since it didn't really belong in this thread anyway, not being Wesnoth related (I just thought I might as well post it since I had already written the transcription for my personal enjoyment)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

So I finally finished the travesty, ahem, (attempted) transcription of the Wesnoth battle theme - one of the coolest battle themes ever written!! I love this piece so much I listen to it regularly even when I'm not playing Wesnoth :) (It's too bad my piano "skills" are limited to plinking out one note at a time on my free piano app :P otherwise this would be a cool piece to learn)

I fixed a few typos in the beginning, but there are probably still a bunch of wrong notes (measure 2, measures 72-76, and the last page are especially suspicious. Probably missing some key changes too), but hopefully you get the general idea? :whistle:

EDIT: posted a better version here
Last edited by Inky on April 7th, 2017, 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

First lemme just say thanks for making all these, I've been enjoying all of them, and you do a great job! :D This is just the first time I replied because it's the first time I think i have some improvements.

Here's a list of my edits:
  • Measure 17: added a sixteenth note on the 'ah' of 2
  • Measures 20, 28, 32, 36: I deleted one note from each of these measures
  • Measures 53-60: I added octaves to the lower notes to try to get at that big, brass sound, and added one more note at the end of measure 60. EDIT: oh, I also pushed the second note of 60 back to the 'and' of 2
  • Measure 64: It just seems like there was more tension in this measure, but I don't know where exactly it comes from. I added a E to the bassline, but it still doesn't sound quite right.
  • Measures 69-72: I'm pretty sure the bass line isn't just whole notes here--i added a little pulse that sounds right to me. I also think that measure 72 is on A instead of B.
  • Measures 73-76: Added octaves again. The melody sound ok to me, but I'm not sure.
  • Measures 89-96: Probably my favorite part of this song, and you nailed it! I deleted a couple of ties though; since the percussion had some hits on those measures, I think re-punctuating the notes is closer to the original feel, even though the original melody does tie over.
  • Measures 99-100: All the chords sound great, but something seems off rhythmically that's beyond me to fix. I think the first two eighths of 100 actually repeat? :hmm:
  • Measure 109: I deleted one note from the pickup to 110 that I just wasn't hearing, but it could go either way
  • Measures 110-115: This part sounds pretty good, but I deleted a few top-stem notes from beat-2s. This one could go either way too.
  • Measures 116-123: Added beat-3 octaves to the bass line, it definitely is a little closer to the original with them in.
  • Measures 124-131: :lol: Yeah, trying to write this part in just two staffs is basically a lost cause. You did a good job with those sixteenth lines in the last three measures though! I added some to the first five, but I'm not sure if they're right. I also don't hear a trill on that last note. Also, when I exported as XML, it dropped the clef change I added in the left hand. The notes are still right, it just looks horrible. The pdf is ok.
  • Ending: changed two notes, beat 1 of 134 and beat 3 of 137. (3 of 137 was just by an octave, again this one could go either way)
EDIT: Attachment removed, better version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 22nd, 2017, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

WOW!! You are amazing!! Great catches!
Samonella wrote:Measures 20, 28, 32, 36: I deleted one note from each of these measures
Hm, in measure 20 I still hear a 16th note on the second beat. Same for 28, 32, 36 - I think (?) the note on the 2nd beat is there but you don't really hear it because the offbeat is emphasized.
Samonella wrote:Measures 89-96: Probably my favorite part of this song
This is actually my favorite part too! It's so catchy I could listen to it all day :)
Samonella wrote:Measures 99-100: All the chords sound great, but something seems off rhythmically that's beyond me to fix. I think the first two eighths of 100 actually repeat?
I think that since the offbeats are being accented what you are hearing is the (accented) pickup G to measure 100, followed by the downbeat G.
Samonella wrote:Measures 124-131: Yeah, trying to write this part in just two staffs is basically a lost cause.
I wanted to write the 16ths for the previous measures but it was way too hard so I gave up, haha. Great work on filling those in! :D
(The last note was meant to be tremolo, not a trill, but I agree it doesn't belong in a piano score since it's a string player technique)

---
Thanks for all the improvements!!! Hopefully more people can now experience the glory of the wesnoth battle theme! 8)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Wow, playing with that was really fun. And weirdly, I had even more free time today, so I made an attempt at filling up Aleski's Main Theme. It has a pretty big, round sound in my edit, though some of the chords still sound fishy. :lol: You know, I tried doing this stuff before, but things are going much better now that someone else has already done all the hard work.

EDIT 2: removed the songs from here, use the ones 2 posts down instead

EDIT 1: Ooh and can I make a request for your next one? Still Another Wanderer was always one of my favorites! Or if you wanted to try tackling Northerners... I have a real weak-spot for 5/4. Though that song relies so much on percussion that a piano score would probably be pointless.
Last edited by Samonella on February 28th, 2017, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow the Main Theme edit is so cool!! The chords sound great! :D

A few things, but I could definitely be wrong:
  • Isn't there a quarter note pickup to measure 6 in the top line?
  • Measure 7: I don't think there is a B here. Maybe it's an E instead?
  • In measures 14-16 I think I hear the violas (?) playing (half notes) F# D | A A | B (so I don't think there is a B in measure 15)
  • In measures 17 to the end I think the viola (?) line is actually E D# | E C# | D# (C# D#) | E
So something like this for the second line? EDIT: then again, those chords at measure 17 probably aren't actually possible to play (?)
Spoiler:
--
And sure, I will try Still Another Wanderer next, I like that one too :) (but it might be a while as I tend to work on these very sporadically)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Wow, now that you point it out, I can definitely hear that viola(?) line. I also added that pickup and removed the B, as well as a slew of other changes. It's much, much better now, so thanks a lot! Like you pointed out, the final version isn't exactly human playable (unless you like playing with your nose) so i made a second version that slides some octaves and switches notes to the left hand to make it possible.

EDIT: Fixed Main Theme according to skeptical_troll's suggestion (haven't gotten back to Traveling Minstrels yet)
xmls.zip
(6.79 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Main_Theme-accurate.pdf
(37.44 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
Main_Theme-playable.pdf
(37.49 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
There is also an xml work-in-progress improvement of Traveling Minstrels. Only got halfway through so far, and there are a couple spots (bar 12, and basically all of 33 to 60) that I'm still suspicious about. (Suspicious about what I added, not what you wrote). Also, you know that passage you two were puzzling over? It still didn't sound right to me, so I tried re-writing it from scratch... and came up with something on a whole different partial. (Is partial only a word for wind instruments? I mean the melody started half an octave lower). :? I kinda think mine sounds better? Here it is in boring notation, since I still don't quite get the nuances of this ground-breaking "creative" one:
Spoiler:
Inky wrote:And sure, I will try Still Another Wanderer next, I like that one too :) (but it might be a while as I tend to work on these very sporadically)
Sounds great! Yeah, don't be like me. I put off so many important responsibilities while doing this today... :augh: Wesnoth: stealing lives since 2003
Last edited by Samonella on March 2nd, 2017, 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Samonella wrote:the final version isn't exactly human playable
Does anyone else think it would be fun to write out the main theme in like 3 parts and have different people play them? We could make a Main Theme version with real instruments played by people from the forum! 8) (Come on, I know there are a bunch of people lurking in this thread :D )
Samonella wrote:There is also an xml work-in-progress improvement of Traveling Minstrels
That's awesome!!! I haven't had the chance to really look at it yet, but I think the last 2 notes of measure 12 are G# E (instead of F# D). I'll look at the rest soon!
Samonella wrote:Also, you know that passage you two were puzzling over?
Oh no, not this again!! :lol:
What you wrote sounded good to me. I think there might be 2 instruments playing different notes there, which is why we came up with something different (not sure).

I think it's so great how we are all working together on this! You and skeptical_troll are both awesome! This is exactly what I love about the Wesnoth forums :)
Samonella wrote:Wesnoth: stealing lives since 2003
Hey, what do you mean, Wesnoth IS life :eng:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:
Samonella wrote:the final version isn't exactly human playable
Does anyone else think it would be fun to write out the main theme in like 3 parts and have different people play them? We could make a Main Theme version with real instruments played by people from the forum! 8)
Oooh I like this idea a lot! I play trumpet,* ocarina,** and dabble in piano.*** I have decent equipment for recording, too.
* though getting/keeping my lips in proper shape would take more dedicated/consistent practice than i've been able to do in quite a while
** a flute-like instrument that you've probably only heard of if you've played The Legend of Zelda
*** dabble, by which I mean I have a small repertoire of intermediate level songs that I practiced for days to be able to play

Inky wrote:Hey, what do you mean, Wesnoth IS life :eng:
:lol: Can't argue with that.

I'll post more on Traveling Minstrels later when I've worked on it some more.

West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Ambuscade sheet music

Post by West »

Inky wrote:Unfortunately, West has mentioned on the forums that he doesn't read sheet music and doesn't have sheet music or midis for his pieces.
Sheet music, no. I think I still have the project files though, but as these tracks were composed in an ancient version of Cubase that won't run on anything newer than Win XP, I have no way of accessing them.

If I ever find the time and energy to put together an XP machine, I'd be happy to post midi versions of all Wesnoth tracks.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You could use VirtualBox or some other virtualization software to run XP as a virtual machine on whatever OS you’re running. It runs on Windows, macOS and Linux and doesn’t require hardware virtualization support enabled in the BIOS and CPU (though it’s way better with it) for 32-bit guests as old as Windows XP through 7.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Wow, things are getting to a whole new level! Kudos to Samonella for making the piano arrangements, great work! Only one correction to the main theme: I think the second chord in the third bar doesn't have a c# but a b instead. On a pedantic note, being in e minor one should just have only f# in the key but who cares, there are only c#!

I'm still puzzled by that passage of traveling minstrels, there surely are multiple instruments overlapping, but to me the highest notes in bar 70 and 78 sound like E more than C#, and the last four notes still like f#-e-d-c# (there are definitely thirds there). :hmm:
Inky wrote:Does anyone else think it would be fun to write out the main theme in like 3 parts and have different people play them? We could make a Main Theme version with real instruments played by people from the forum! (Come on, I know there are a bunch of people lurking in this thread )
That would be fun, but I don't have any decent recording device, only my phone and my laptop which would sound really bad. :?
Samonella wrote:** a flute-like instrument that you've probably only heard of if you've played The Legend of Zelda
That actually depends on which part of the world you're from :) I have one myself (which I barely know how to hold) despite having never played that game.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

shadowm wrote:You could use VirtualBox or some other virtualization software to run XP as a virtual machine on whatever OS you’re running. It runs on Windows, macOS and Linux and doesn’t require hardware virtualization support enabled in the BIOS and CPU (though it’s way better with it) for 32-bit guests as old as Windows XP through 7.
Good tip, I might look into that. The question is, does it let you set up virtual file systems? I did a major restructuring of my samples in maybe 2011 or so, moved them over to a different drive, sorted everything into categories etc. So even if I could get Cubase running on this machine, any project predating this change will throw me like four dozen "file not found" errors, as things aren't where the plugins used expect them to be.