Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Daily paintings of WTrawi

Post by Thrawn »

WTrawi--It's hard to pick up tone over the internet, but it sounds like you don't like the idea of using references ;) It's not just a matter of exactly copying from a picture, it's a tool to help develop your own observational skills, which will then translate into being able to draw things more accurately without then having to keep looking at references ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

After a little bit of work it's already much better. Still working on it.
Attachments
Halfdone axe 2.jpg
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

And that was NOT the first time I used a reference... I used three for this one :D... So OK, I'll try to use as many as possible in the future ;-)
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think the point was to use only 1 reference that looks exactly what you're painting - combining from multiple references in order to create something new is a lot more difficult when you're trying to learn how light and shadow works. You have talent and will become even better if you do some boring exercises ;)
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I used one for the shape, another for the first shading (which is discarded now) and a third one for the final shading... So only one at the same time.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I made a pretty finalized version (without shading the thing on the top) of the axe, here it is:
Attachments
Day 7.png
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I think the next drawing should be:
A) a full landscape
B) a wose

How about it?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

WTrawi wrote:I think the next drawing should be:
A) a full landscape
B) a wose

How about it?
i guess you should start with a wose, since when drawing a full landscape, you'll clearly need some tree drawing skills anyway
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The axe blade looks much better now. You really should shade the top piece though. It's a cone on top of a cylinder (or maybe a sphere?), and those are very simple shapes that are not too hard to shade. You should be able to shade it in a few minutes. If you aren't sure how, you should learn before you tackle more complicated shapes like trees.
Attachments
Exercise-6_Shading-Objects-2.jpg
Exercise-6_Shading-Objects-2.jpg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Wow, this picture's a really good help, thank you :)
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I did the shading of the top and although it's not perfect, I'm happy with it.
Attachments
Day 7.png
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

That's pretty good, actually, and works together nicely with the right-hand part of the axe's blade.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Workin' on a landscape with a large tree in the foreground... maybe the tree'll turn into a wose :twisted: :mrgreen:
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Great, I'll keep checking your works.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Okay, let's awaken this good old thread :D

Sometimes when I feel too lazy to paint something new (plus my digital drawboard doesn't work) I look for cool pictures and turn them painting-style! And this is what happened in the last 10 minutes (click on the secound picture to see the modifications):
Attachments
7544609.jpg
7544609.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Barlang #1.jpg