Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

Paulomat4 wrote:The only thing that I would have wished for would be for the 3 Kings to be a bit stronger (Same could go for Khazran btw...).
They just feel like they're too easy to beat. Also, just an idea, maybe you could make some variations between them? One having more hp, one with more damage or something like that. My Ilriel just killed all three of them in three turns... (with support of course)
I'd rather keep this scenario on the easy side. I assume there's at least a good portion of players who prefer leveling up their army instead of their hero units and they'll probably end up with an already hard scenario (in the Sphere). If it's too hard, there's no going further then, which is not fun. So just see the Sphere scenario as an 'extended story-only scenario'. Differentiating the three kings sounds like a really fun idea, though! I'll see what I can come up with.
Paulomat4 wrote:A question that has been bogging me: Is Khazran the same Khazran as in Ashen hearts? If yes, how did he end up so far south?
I just really like that name. OoA and AH take place in the same era, so there might be some connection, but that's up to the player.
Inky wrote:Played a few more scenarios, up to Th'arwya [...]
Great catches once again! Thanks! I had been able to squash them (except the wose and altawir cases which need some more thinking). In S9 Beneath the Sands, only Uthain may pick up the crystals. I'll also adhere to your advice to give the player control over the Dwarvish Miners
Inky wrote:I think it should be clarified that taking one of a hero's 3 AMLAs excludes the other two, because it is different to how Dawoud/Ilriel's AMLAs work.
There had been some info regarding that in scenario 3: "Uthain is a hero unit and as such, he can pick one out of three advancements once he levels up."

I had also been able to come up with a fix for the knockback. Units now get knocked back if the attacker hits and if there's a free (walkable) tile behind the knockbacked unit, otherwise it doesn't get knocked back. That indeed gives more control over the ability, which is a good thing to have.

Also some very exciting news: zookeeper found the time to make a unique bigmap for OoA. Thanks alot!
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Although it would increase a little bit the description o f it, stating that exception of the use of knocback in its description could be good, so that players wouldn´t be further confused.

That map is pretty nice, do you intend to use it as a road map to show the progression of the player along the campaign?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, the bigmap will be used for a road map for the group and maybe even for Nuvdael's journey to catch up with Ilriel and the position of the army of Kesh for S12
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

You could even use it to show other events of the campaign, for example:
->The location of the battle between Ibn ghani troops and Uthman troops;
->The return of Uthman troops after Ilriel knows that they have defeated Ibn ghani.
Last edited by ahmannar on October 22nd, 2016, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Sounds like a good idea!
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

This is just a small nitpick anyways but what do you think about having a variation of the bigmap, which could be used after the scenario "The Cloud River"?
My idea is that, in order to represent it having dried up, the blue from that area could be replaced by something used to invoke the idea of wet sand/dirt, like dark brown.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

do the scenario intro screens have the possibility of overlays? they allow red arrows and Xs for player movements so maybe transparent graphics can be overlain showing important changes to the scenario such as drought.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Finished the campaign! The whole campaign was a lot of fun, and the artwork and maps were amazing. Thanks for making such an awesome campaign!

Bugs:
-The spear in S16 The Great Wall does not do anything when you pick it up; instead, the sentence "Wearing this giant spear in battle will increase the units damage by +5. Should $unit.name use it?" gets added to the unit's description. Also, the intended description ("This mighty spear increases the damage of the bearer by +2.") should say +5 instead of +2.
-Probably a Wesnoth bug, but when previewing an attack against a unit with the ravage ability, the attack dialog box always says the unit with ravage has 4 strikes even when it actually has 5 or 6.

S14 Blackhands
I liked the feeling of exploring in small groups. I barely finished on the last turn, but that was because I got greedy and killed all the leaders for the experience. Maybe one small change I would make is to give the 1-hex path leading northwest from the starting keep an exit in the north, because it is a very long dead end to get stuck in.

S15 (Return to Th'arwya)
I found it impossible to hold off the enemies on the top of the tower with just Iskandar; the two allied djinn died very quickly and the enemies got a new high level unit each turn! Your other units are too far away to help before the allied leader dies, unless you had previous knowledge and moved them to the tower earlier. I think the allied leader should get more guards, or the sphere at the top shouldn't spawn so many enemies (maybe 1 every other turn instead of every turn).

Other thoughts:
-I felt the later half of the campaign (from S10 Three Kings onward) was noticeably easier than the first half. The first half had some relatively tough scenarios with high losses (such as Peril, Six feet under, Face to face with the snake), but later on the enemies aren't a match for your heroes/high level units with items (in fact I had 0 losses from scenarios 10 to 18). I also missed almost every secret in the campaign so I imagine it would be an even bigger difference for players who found all the secrets.
-Scenarios 18, 19 and 20 (from "Above the Stars and Below Earth" onward) don't need gold/gold carryover since gold doesn't matter anymore. I was actually confused at first by the cutscene scenario 19 since it had a turn limit and early finish bonus, so I didn't realize it was a cutscene at first and thought I was experiencing that Wesnoth bug where a scenario immediately ends after the initial dialogue.
-Minor aesthetic things: The HP bars on the Ascended Athvari and Skeletal Dragon seem too far away (up and to the left) from the unit's sprite. Also, the pink mushroom things seem to be missing melee attack frames.
Typos:
Some minor corrections to the secrets guide:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Glad you liked it! Once again, your notes prove to be very useful. The next update (soonTM) fixes the bugs. The ravage numbers and the placement of the HP bar of the Skeletal Dragon are Wesnoth related bugs, though.

Also thanks for taking another look at the language. It's nice to have a mother-tongue speaker for this stuff!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Where is your deviantart? I tried to find the version of the Medusa with open milk bar. Just posting here, because I do not want to hijack neocrisegod's thread with such issues.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Uh, sure, here it is:
-removed-
I also don't have a deviantArt account.
Last edited by Kwandulin on November 27th, 2016, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I uploaded Oath of Allegiance v1.12 to the 1.13.x servers. Once again thanks for your steady support!

Main changes:
  • added a bigmap by zookeeper
  • fixed another batch of typos (thanks to Inky)
  • fixed gold carryover in certain scenarios
  • added the Altangshe, a flying advancement of the Altawir (thanks to neoriceisgood), making the Alqasir-line a valuable choice to invest into
  • reworked some portraits
  • fixed the items, added filter descriptions
  • Iskandar is now a unique unit type, featuring his own AMLA path
  • added a secret to Azyan
The update also contains a development version of the second chapter. The second part is playable up to scenario 5, the dialogues still sound somewhat awkward and the gameplay isn't fully fleshed out yet, so take care if you decide to dive in. The second part is (a) dependent on the first part, because you need to have a grasp of the storyline and (b) independent on the first part, because you start all over again with fresh units.
eye_small.png
Features of the second part
  • continues the story of part I
  • new kind of enemies
  • reunite with old friends and meet new heroes
  • recruit Athvari
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

New update with an extra chapter, seems like it´s better than what could have been expected!
Eventually i´ll redo the first campaign to see the changes but i must confess that trying the new chapter seems more tempting right now ;) .

Opening of the campaign
Spoiler:
The Marsh:
Spoiler:
I must say that the start of the second campaign got me really hyped. Can´t wait to see the rest of the story.

EDIT:

The New Serrul:
Spoiler:

Another Dream:
Spoiler:
It seems that the next scenario as a bug, since marianne(the sheildmaiden) doesn´t recruit.
Attachments
OA2-Another_Dream_replay.gz
(28.01 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
OA2-New_Serrul_replay.gz
(42.33 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
OA2-The_Marsh_replay.gz
(33.18 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Marianne not recruiting is not a bug (it may be a bad gameplay decision, though). If you attack her, she joins your side. I can imagine that attacking her after every other enemy is dead may result in a bug.

Other than that, thanks for playing so far!
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

It seemed strange for her to not do anything, so i thought it was a bug. Anyway, her dialogue upon being confronted is still somewhat strange, since she doesn´t participate in the battle.

Spider Forest:
Spoiler:
EDIT:

The Whisperer:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA2-The_Whisperer_replay.gz
(43.77 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
OA2-Spider_Forest_replay.gz
(42.67 KiB) Downloaded 232 times