Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Whiskeyjack

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Yup, this happens for a very long time now. There once was a fix that resulted in the other units (sometimes) getting their levelups at the start of the following turn(s), but even that was rather erratic and I have no idea how it went anymore.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Bug report: I´m not sure why, but the order of gem transmutation for the highest gems is backwards (530 down to 527; global_events.cfg on multiple occasions) and results in only Black Pearls being produced every time because of that (I´m at hundreds of smashings now, with 16 Black Pearls and not a one changed in emeralds, amethysts and sapphires until I turned the numbers around).

Edit: Though I guess Dugi hasn´t been to the forums in over a month :?
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

@Whiskeyjack Although he hasn't posted, he still seems to be watching, as the new portrait has been committed: https://github.com/Dugy/Legend_of_the_I ... 9fd8e6097b Just busy I guess? :hmm:
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

matsjoyce wrote:@Whiskeyjack Although he hasn't posted, he still seems to be watching, as the new portrait has been committed: https://github.com/Dugy/Legend_of_the_I ... 9fd8e6097b Just busy I guess? :hmm:
He lost desire to be in forums after some hot discussion about portraits style. However can be easely contacted through facebook.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ Whiskeyjack: Dugi hasn't been to the forums in over a month – Or hasn't been allowed to? ...
@ matsjoyce: Just busy I guess – Has he ever been too busy to leave questions unanswered without any explanation? ...
@ Aldarisvet: He lost desire to be in forums – Maybe someone thoroughly spoiled it? ...
And, on a whim, he gave up his rank. It's got to be it, right?
I mean, a title acknowledges someone's merits, it isn't a give-and-take thing...
Or is it now? :augh:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Chewan wrote:And, on a whim, he gave up his rank. It's got to be it, right?
I mean, a title acknowledges someone's merits, it isn't a give-and-take thing...
Or is it now? :augh:
hmmm... i think you might be right, his forum account used to have the 'Code Contributor' title, and now it's gone :?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am alive. The disappearance of the title and most of my absence wasn't my choice. All I could do was to read and silently make updates.

#Blood rain
I have changed the mechanic. Its onset is much slower, but it focuses more on your units.

#Chapter 9 domain specifics
It shouldn't be too hard to force all demons in an area to have two specific traits. What I can't figure out is how to announce it to the player in advance without making a huge announcement Demons in Domain of Disaster are sly and venomous.

#Chapter 7 global arcane weakness
I have added a new unit there, Spell Eater, that increases enemy arcane resistance really seriously. It also grows stronger as nearby units are hit by magic attacks. To compensate it, I have reduced the HP of possessed elves, reduced the ranged damage of possessed orcs and drakes and also weakened the possessed nagas.
ForestDragon wrote:hi Dugi! so, i found a good sprite for Prophet:
Good, animated and added.
Xargon wrote:Another small bug: In Antechambers of Ultimate Evil, there was a dialog with Abaddon - except he was not there, so my characters just said their lines of dialog without any answer...
Do you have a save file of that?
Ashes wrote:it seems that if a unit's resistances have been reduced by doom, then the attacker's penetration has no effect.
Are you sure of this?
Delicius169 wrote:Beutifull Child (is it paraphrase to Cursed child by J.K. Rowling, or just coincidence? :-D)
Coincidence. The campaign was released two years earlier.
Richard wrote:1) The Orcish Warmongers: a) Are they supposed to the Lesser Evisceration advancement?
Fixed. They can get it now.
Xargon wrote:Is the passage of detriment just completely empty? After 15 turns of walking, nothing at all happened. It also has terrible performance.
Lilith even says that you should not go there.
Me2 wrote: If developers could do this thing easy we would have a lot more ppl (besidesprogrammers) developing stories. I would love to work in Wagner´s "The ring of the Nibelung" for sure i.e! :D
I have offered it as a GSoC project, but it wasn't accepted.
braknor wrote:When two units are close to level up at the end of the round and they both gain enough EXP to level up during the enemies turn then the AMLA dialog will appear only for one unit.
I am trying to evade this problem because fixing anything in this area usually breaks too many things elsewhere. I am sorry.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

I am on Arctic wastelands currently, for some reason redeem level 8 is not working for Effraim. It is failing even on ghosts. :O
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It is level dependent, if the enemy's level is too high, it has a high chance to fail. Using it a lot on lower level enemies can advance it and make it more suitable to deal with higher level enemies too.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

I know how redeem works. Currently Effraim has redeem level 8, which means there shouldn't be any problem in redeeming a level one unit like 'ghost'. But that's not happening, redeem (8) for Effraim is failing even on ghosts.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Please upload a save file where it can be reproduced.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

My PC is off network currently, I shall do it once I connect it to a network.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Dugi wrote:
Xargon wrote:Another small bug: In Antechambers of Ultimate Evil, there was a dialog with Abaddon - except he was not there, so my characters just said their lines of dialog without any answer...
Do you have a save file of that?
Xargon wrote:Is the passage of detriment just completely empty? After 15 turns of walking, nothing at all happened. It also has terrible performance.
Lilith even says that you should not go there.
I probably don't have a save file of the Abaddon thing anymore, sorry. I will check when I am home. But I believe that I replayed a short segment for some reason and it did not happen the second time (maybe Abaddon did not even spawn), so it might not be easily reproducible.
About the passage of detriment: Having a lot of warnings is good, but I still don't really see the reason why you would want to have an empty map like that in the campaign at all.

I am in
Spoiler:
now, will post some more comments when I finish it.
Just some things about resistances that came to my mind now. Not sure if they are easily fixable, I most certainly don't want to delve into the code and check all the possible interplay between abilities...
- Multiple instances of despair can overlap and will not pick the most beneficial one (probably goes by which unit was adjacent first?)
- I still don't understand why some buffs change steadfast. I noticed this consistently with the aura of universal annihilation given by the sword: It would raise the limit of the steadfast ability to 80% resistance
- Is conviction supposed to affect only nonphysical resistances now? If so, would this still be different for an older unit, i.e. a unit which was leveled in an older version? In any case, faerie incarnations' conviction still reduces physical resistances as well
- Should resistances always be capped at 80%? Some abilities can definitely push you beyond that (I can't really tell the details though, and it does not happen for all units. I can look at it more closely or provide a save file if desired). I found
Spoiler:
and, naturally, brought all buffing units there. With Legacy of Kings, shield, royalty (and more that I forgot?), some units were pushed beyond 100% resistance. Speaking of which, how do similar type abilities interact, like Legacy of Kings, royalty, aura of universal annihilation? I believe the latter did not give an additional bonus when the first two were already present.
- Maybe Scythemaster's whirlwind attack should be modified? He can get extremely powerful, I killed the enemy from the previous point in one attack. Well, many units can get extremely powerful, but maybe it could be a bit harder to abuse his no retaliation attack? With the right equipment (anger, mask of insanity, ...), he gets 20 attacks without retaliation, making him a perfectly safe boss-killer, or really anything-around-him-killer (with some buffs). Now that I think of it, Marrowrend would make him even deadlier. Not that this would be needed... The exhaustion malus was never a problem, partially because his base damage is pretty high, I guess.
I never leveled the no retaliation attack of Elvish Assassins, maybe they can also be abused. At least charge from warlord's rule won't affect them, and they don't hit all enemies around.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:
Ashes wrote:it seems that if a unit's resistances have been reduced by doom, then the attacker's penetration has no effect.
Are you sure of this?
Yes, I am sure that I observed this behaviour.
I will try to provide a save file that reproduces this behaviour.
Xargon wrote:My levelling is far from optimal, since this is still my first playthrough and I actually wanted to experiment with the redeem spells (most of which do not really pay of)
It is also my feeling: even with the recent modifications (e.g. spell suck) I don't think that the redeem spells are a good investment for Efraim nor Lethalia.

For attacking, melee with fury is usually the most efficient: Efraim carrying Doombringer or Lethalia's staff (and if you manage to equip her with a Dugi's Wrath axe, she can kill any boss using whirlwind).
Therefore redeem spells will be used as a defence against ranged attacks. For Efraim entropy is a good choice: it can have leech and slow, which makes it slightly better than iceball as a defensive spell. For Lethalia gossamer is much better, especially when upgraded to focused & firststrike.

(edit) I noticed a small bug in redeeming.cfg: starting from redeem 15, WEAPON_SPECIAL_GUIDED is added, but is was already added by redeem 8.
I think that it is because of this bug that my Efraim has simultaneously redeem 15 and redeem 14 in his redeem attack.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I finally finished the last map.
I found the balancing of chapter 10 pretty strange.
Spoiler:
I think one of the bigger issues is that you can make your troops nearly invincibles with the many leadership-type abilities that are available. I had a faerie incarnation with Legacy of Kings and royalty, so everything standing beside it would take little damage and be healed the next turn. Maybe some of them could be unified, i.e. use a common ability that comes in various strengths, so they don't just add together when they overlap? I am not sure if something like this already happened or partially happened, I noticed some changes in abilities. Many of my high-level units are from an older version since I took quite a long break at some point (a year maybe?).
One other point is that some no-retaliation attacks are just ridiculously powerful, or can be made that way. You can slap Anger, lesser berserk(2) and charge on a scythemaster using items or supporting units, and he will usually kill everything adjacent.