New paintings of WTrawi

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

New paintings of WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Hi everyone! :)

I've just decided to learn digital art and I've also decided to post my paintings here. :D That's because I'm really interested about your opinion and advice (especially of LordBob's :D), so if you like it or know something what would make them better, go ahead! :) By the way, I use Krita for paint those.
(I'm a newcomer here on the official forums, but I'm the member of the Hungarian community. I'm also posting those images there. Also, sorry for my English.)
Attachments
Day 1.jpg
Day 2.jpg
Last edited by WTrawi on June 9th, 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Midnight_Carnival

Re: My daily paintings

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I would like to encourage you and offer some points where appropriate however I must first ask you this:
Are you creating these images in order to use them in Wesnoth (perhaps the background for the story part of a campaign?) or just for fun?
I have done many random things for fun and posted them on the forum so believe me when I tell you that people complain about it.
For myself I don't have any problem with you posting random art here at all but for some reason others will ;)

Ok, so now going for some points I could make - I am treating these images as the beginnings of something you are making for a campaign, if this is not what you are doing then some of the things I have to say might not work.

I like the haziness and your use of colour however I don't know about the birds in your first picture. They seem a little too simply drawn.
Here I am making an image based on yours without the birds at all.
Day 1.1.png
Day 1.1.png (142.56 KiB) Viewed 7960 times
And here I have redone the birds trying to keep it close to your original style. I am not saying that my versions are any better, as you can see, I tried to keep it as close as possible to yours, but I'm offering some different ideas so you can see how things might work if you looked at them another way.
Day 1.2.png
Day 1.2.png (162.8 KiB) Viewed 7960 times
Regarding your tree: I'm not going to post images of this, but I would suggest that you consider working with the shading differently, remember that a tree is a 3D object and so branches\leaves will be in front or behind each other and the trunk will be round.
Keep drawing and if you want to keep up that hazy style (it might suit some campaign stories) you have my support but I suggest you work on your technical execution of the images while developing your unique style.

Look at Picasso's earlier (rose period) paintings and then his later ones. I don't personally like his art but nobody can say “he did it like that because he didn't know how to paint”.
Work on technical exercises, take a photograph of something and put it on a different transparent layer then paint it as an image in your own style, pay attention to light and shadow. It might seem boring or pointless but after practising with these uncreative technical exercises for only a short while, you will be surprised at how much better you are able to express yourself.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

Yeah, the birds were painted quiet fast :D and as I said I've never painted anything like this before. And yeah, I also need to practice shading.

About complain-about-it people: I think I will upload a fwe paintings what I practiced with, but then I am going to draw for my campaign. And also, I don't know any other place to ask other people about portrait paintings :-(
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Regarding the tree
I like that you used a lot of colors, and you did it so that a lot of individual leaves were visible. You also have some shading, though more would be better. However, there are some issues. You made the leaves transparent so the branches could be visible. I realize that was to help you draw faster, but it didn't help it look more realistic. You should have a large variation in the number of leaves: in some places they are very thick and you can't see the branches at all, and in other places you can see holes with branches in front of the sky. You can see what I'm talking about in the photo. (You should always refer to photos while you paint.) Also, you have only two sizes of branches: a fat trunk with medium-thin branches. You should have a lot of different sizes of branches from almost as wide as the trunk to very thin. Actually, I recommend that you go back and draw a tree without leaves at all. Do an image search for "trees winter".
Attachments
tree_temp.jpg
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Yes, branches are bit hard for me to paint.

Anyway, thank you for all of your tips and admittions! ;) I'm going to try them all.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I haven't post anything last weekend, but I'm back with more paintings and ideas! :) (I decided to use my sea painting in my campaign with a ship and with redrawn birds. I also decided to use my mountain painting)
Attachments
Day 3.png
Day 4.png
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This tree is shaded a lot better than the other one, but I'm pretty sure you didn't look at a picture because fir/pine trees have fairly sparse branches that point UP. You really should use photos for reference. Everybody thinks they know what certain things look like, but everybody is wrong! (I did an image search before writing this because I'm part of everybody.) Your sunset picture has bold shapes, but the colors are not sunset colors. The sky and sun should be orange, and the clouds should be purple, pink, blue, etc.--they certainly can't be white with the sun behind them like that. Also, it should be much darker. Do an image search for sunset mountains.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

About the tree: I've drawn it before you posted that photo. EDIT: I'm also talking about the second tree.

About the mountains: This time I didn't want to make a realistic painting, but I wanted a black-and-white pic with colored sun.
Last edited by WTrawi on October 9th, 2016, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I was talking about the new tree you just posted. The branches should go up, not down. The point is, you should look at a photo before you draw something. It will probably improve your art a lot.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

I think people are confused about pines cause branches point down when there's snow on them, which is a common situation where pines are represented. So if you are too lazy to change all branches, add snow on them :eng:
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Great idea, thank you! :D
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Keep at it, I'm beginning to see a style developing.
Again, I compliment you on your use of color, I think you have a natural gift for it :lol:

Also, just be be annoying: this is a larch tree, it is related to the pine. Please do note the downward pointing branches and the absence of snow. :mrgreen: it does somewhat lack the characteristic pointy shape though.
sadtree1.jpg
sadtree1.jpg (68.65 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
I'm seeing a Wose portrait already! :twisted:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Oh yes, I MUST paint a wose next time, :twisted: but I already have a half-done painting inspired by the photograph below. I MUST put this one in my campaign. :D

Also, no downward branches next time! :D
Attachments
Ötlet #x.jpg
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Aaaand the painting is done with some bird silhouettes! :D (I cheated somewhere, but I'm not going to tell where :D )

(the left side looks so much better actually, but the jpg format made it somehow soooo worse - the colors are also warmer on the actual painting)
Attachments
Day 5.jpg
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Now these birds are breathtaking. Keep on the amazing work!
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister