Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.9 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

The first one is indeed a bug, I'll fix that, thanks! Commander units such as Nuvdael and Uthain may only pick one advancement when leveling up. If they level up again after making their choice, the heroic amla (+8hp +1damage) is automatically chosen.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

For some reason, i thought that the heroic amla was only given until 1 of the 3 advancements of the commander units were chosen and, because of that, i choose it some times before taking the normal advancement on some of the units. I double checked it in the game and it really applies it even after taking the advancement, which was something that i never noticed until now. One more reason that it pays off to read the forum.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I brutally abused Eye Of the Hurricane. I decimated two-thirds of Kesh's army. This is a great level to earn exp and level up your units especially since the AI cannot see more than two hexes.
In Thawrya, i cant speak with the wyvern guy no matter what i do. He keeps saying " i can't sell you anything. you are already equipped blah blah..." I tried talking to him with many different units most of them unequipped. Seems like a bug to me.
Equipping a wyvern breaker with the spear or heavy spear does not increase his damage. And he cannot be equipped with the light spear even though the description says that he can wield it.
The Scenario Sandthorn pass is way too easy. After killing the initial saurian rush its just a walk to the enemy leader and killing him. I think u should give the enemy leader massive starting gold or massive income or maybe replenish his gold every 3-4 turns to make it more of a defense scenario. And it doesn't end when the enemy leader is killed though that's expected of a defense scenario. Plus the objectives say early finish bonus which is a lie since one can't finish early.
The Scenario Harbor Of Tharwya can become very easy depending on the ally's performance. In my case my ally defeated half the orcs before i even got to the battlefield. Maybe change the starting TOD to balance this?
Oh and i almost forgot. The Best Quote Ever - 5. You Shall Not Pass!!!!
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

The wyvern rider merchant only talks to Mudafi/Rasikh/Hurasch
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I would suggest having a different message be given to the player in the case of the wyvern vendor. He could say something like " I can´t sell you anything, you are not skilled enough to ride one of my pets".
This would eliminate the eventual confusion of thinking that the problem was trying to buy with a equipped unit, instead of being the wrong unit to begin with.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Finally finished Oath Of Allegiance on normal. I really enjoyed playing the campaign, it was fun and i loved playing with the khaliphate faction and the powerful heroes. The new hill terrain was amazing well as some of the sprites. I love your style of portraits. Really good job on those. But i stand by what i said earlier, it's way too easy.
Some more stuff i noted while playing -
In the Scenario Uzar The Betrayer, Dawoud says that delfador is one of the athavari and that he overthrew an evil queen, but previously Uzar says that a civil war is going on in wesnoth right now. Seems like there's a timeline clash. Does this battle take place during the wesnothian civil war or after it ?
The Battle of The Eons was epic. The two armies facing off.... its the first time i saw 2 armies facing off in such an ordered battle formation in wesnoth. Though my army outnumbered them 68-63. One thing here you should fix - If anyone other than Ilriel kills the three kings, the player loses so u should mention that in the objectives.
I missed the secret scenario after Three Kings. I sent ilriel and nuvdiel to the touchplate but nothing happened so i gave up. Damn, i should have sent uthain as well.. I hate missing out on these secret stuff. When i replay the campaign on hard, i'll make sure to get every secret.
The Impale attack of Hurasch cannot be used on the offense.
And you should have thrown in another quote from LOTR in the final cutscene. ;)

I'll play your other campaign too within a few days. Best of luck for your work and take care.
Kwandulin wrote:The wyvern rider merchant only talks to Mudafi/Rasikh/Hurasch
Oh, yeah i didn't try any mudafis. Oh well no matter now.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, so, i noticed that Wyvern/Dune Worm use the water serpent's attack icon, which looks heavily out of place,so, i decided to make a sand variant for you to use:
fangs-snake-sand.png
fangs-snake-sand.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
btw, i already copied pretty much everything from Ashen Hearts, now i am starting to continue my art plundering rampage in the art oasis, which we all here know as Oath of Allegiance :mrgreen: (i even copy heroes too (sometimes rename if necessary :P ))
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Just loaded this add-on. Some notes:
  • One of the features of this campaign is "music by West" but there is no dependency on any UMC music add-on. Does this mean the music is included in the campaign add-on? I didnt hear anything new anyway.
    EDIT: the music sounded middle eastern once we reach the desert areas.
  • a bunch of messages appeared in stderr after starting the campaign:
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro SPECIAL_NOTES_FORTIFY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/macros/abilities-macro.cfg:118
    included from ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg:111
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/macros/abilities-macro.cfg:98
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro DEEP_UNDERGROUND without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/macros/schedule-macro.cfg:25
    previously defined at core/macros/schedules.cfg:108
    included from core/_main.cfg:19
    included from _main.cfg:18
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro STORY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/03_Peril.cfg:3
    included from ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg:121
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/02_Drought.cfg:3
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro STORY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/05_Six_Feet_Under.cfg:3
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/04_A_Whisper_in_the_Sands.cfg:3
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro STORY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/06_The_Pearl_of_the_Desert.cfg:3
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/05_Six_Feet_Under.cfg:3
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro STORY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/13b_Harbor_of_Tharwya.cfg:3
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/13a_Sandthorn_Pass.cfg:3
    20160908 23:41:05 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro STORY without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/19_Timeless.cfg:3
    previously defined at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/scenarios/13b_Harbor_of_Tharwya.cfg:3
  • When the Wose exclaimed "Nuvdael" with a cool sound effect, the following message appeared in stderr:
    ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
    [*]It is a lot of fun to play the Khalifate units and discover the culture.
    [*]In the battle to defend the Pearl of the Desert, Kesh's army never used the catapults, perhaps because i played as Easy?
    [*]The long dialogue after chasing down the Snake and meeting the Athvari and the dragon contains a lot information and names, which is to say i glazed over and dont remember it. Would it be possible to introduce more scenarios or give out some of the information earlier in the campaign where there is less dialogue?
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Today i replayed the first level to refresh my memory on the beginning of the story and got a weird bug. The unit type of dawoud turned visually to an arif, while the exp required to advance and his attack stayed the same as his correct unit type (this happened between the end of the initial dialogue and the first turn). I forgot to take an screenshot to show this at the time, but i wasn't able to replicate this issue even after trying to replay the level several times after.
Don't know if this will help you in getting/correcting the bug, but i guess it's worth mentioning it anyway.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Did the first 3 scenarios and its fun, but two issues, one plot, two gameplay:

Plotwise: Why is this one particular and specific Spirit Of the Forrest needed to treat someone poisoned? WHy not anyone who could cure? Initially I thought they were going to take her to help revitalize their land or something. And as others said, it would be nice if they tried asking first

Gameplay wise: I can't select difficulty (it boots up on normal and even change difficulty doesn't let me change), and the Inspire ability is bugged, I tested putting a lv1 unit near the guy when he has it and moving him away and there's no difference damage wise
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Are you using the version 1.13 or 1.12 of BfW? The campaign exists on the two add-on servers but the 1.13 version is the only one being developed, the 1.12 version is no longer being maintained.
Your comments seem to indicate that you're playing the 1.12 right now.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Yeah I was playing on 1.12. Downlaoded 1.13, but can't get onto the server
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Maybe there's some problem with the servers right now. Try it again later, surely they will be fine eventually if that's the case.

EDIT: At least for now, i could get to the add-ons server by the game itself.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Sorry for being away the last few weeks, I had to take a break to regain creativity and motivation.
tr0ll wrote:
  • a bunch of messages appeared in stderr after starting the campaign: [...]
  • In the battle to defend the Pearl of the Desert, Kesh's army never used the catapults, perhaps because i played as Easy?
  • The long dialogue after chasing down the Snake and meeting the Athvari and the dragon contains a lot information and names, which is to say i glazed over and dont remember it. Would it be possible to introduce more scenarios or give out some of the information earlier in the campaign where there is less dialogue?
Right, the things that cause these messages should be fixable with ease, still wondering if they affect the gameplay/performance/other things of Wesnoth when leaving them in.
The catapults don't shoot, they are just for decoration.
Regarding the story at Isanbar: I would really like to make some story screens that show up at the start of the next scenario and summarise the situation of the Athvari, but in 1.13.5 the story screens are terribly broken, which is demotivating me from doing these. I hope they'll be fixed in the next dev release. I've also applied the dialogue changes of ahmannar, so there should be more text in the other scenarios that already foreshadow a bit.
Today i replayed the first level to refresh my memory on the beginning of the story and got a weird bug. The unit type of dawoud turned visually to an arif, while the exp required to advance and his attack stayed the same as his correct unit type (this happened between the end of the initial dialogue and the first turn). I forgot to take an screenshot to show this at the time, but i wasn't able to replicate this issue even after trying to replay the level several times after.
That is odd, I can't replicate it and the scenario code and the code of dawoud doesn't shed a light on that either. Did you do something special during this scenario?

Also I am currently trying to identify at which point the campaign gets too easy. I am thinking about the scenario with Kesh's resting army, as it allows for insane xp feeding. The same goes to the sandthorn pass and the harbor of Th'arwya where there's tons of high level enemies that spawn and allow for a xp feast or a direct loss if the player's army is too weak. Somehow there's only "way too strong" and "way too weak" at this point of the campaign. Any ideas what might be the cause for that?

Currently, I am working on removing the sandthorn pass and the harbor of Th'arwya as they're too hard to balance due to their infinite spawning mechanism. Instead, I want to make a thieves guild (or some kind of organisation) below the sands of Th'arwya (cave/canalisation style) that attacks Th'arwya when the group first enters the city (thus, the scenario will be more than a shopping-only scenario) and remove the non-linearity of the Th'arwya scenario, which, I think, didn't work out too well. And it'd make the scenario easier to maintain for me, as Th'arwya currently has more than 1000 lines of code and is a beast to maintain and bugfix.
  • Group enters Th'arwya for the first time: thieves attack the merchants.
  • Talking with Ibn Ghani: he orders the player to find the Thieves' guild below Th'arwya and defeat their leader.
  • Return to Th'arwya: the player gives notice to Ibn Ghani and then the portals from Kesh open up.
The nice thing about a thieves' guild would be, that it wouldn't rely on an infinite spawning mechanism thus giving less free xp to the player. It'd also allow to use some fancy traps within the guild and for sure such a scenario would be less generic than the sandthorn pass and the harbour of Th'arwya. I could also make it so, that the Thieves' guild pledged allegiance to Kesh or something like that.
What's your opinion on that?
Last edited by Kwandulin on September 15th, 2016, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

about thieves guild: nice idea :) i can kinda imagine some of the units being there: Quismat,Alquasir line,and maybe a few folks from the Naffat line (like Wadhad-al-lahab)

btw, are you planning to draw some new units any time soon?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic