Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ahmannar

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.9 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by ahmannar »

Thanks, will redo the Th'arwya level in that case before i pass the harbour xD.

Harbor of Th'arwya
Spoiler:
I got the unite option when i talked to whadet with the Genie-kabir, however the transformation failed and whadet joined my side normally without fusing with the genie, giving the following error:
Attachments
Failed transformation.png
OA-Harbor_of_Tharwya_replay.gz
(59.51 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Ah, that's an unfortunate relict of moving the djinn-wahash from its own unit type to a variation of the wahash. Your dialogue suggestions are great, thanks for doing these!
Last edited by Kwandulin on August 29th, 2016, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I'm glad you're liking them, anything that i can do to help improve this awesome campaign is worth it :) I should be able to finish my play trough of the campaign until the end of this week. After that i'll see if i can help you in some other way.

EDIT: Don´t know if it's intentional but upon returning to the city, after doing the first side quest, the potion seller was no longer there.
Regarding a possible dialogue for whadet in case the player has him on the scenario "harbor of th'rwya", i would suggest for him to mock this new species that he's never seen before (the orcs) for their use of subterfuge to get into the port, saying that only the vile and weak of mind would resort to anything with the sole purpose of pillaging lands. He could conclude that the day he joined the player's group was a fated one, as it gave him the opportunity to purge such creatures from this world.

Sandthorn Pass
Spoiler:
Th'rwya (battle scenario)
Spoiler:
This "mini arc" consisting of the side quests and this last scenario are the ones that i would say that need more work/that need something else to be more interesting compared to the rest of the campaign. While this level and the one of the harbor can easily be resolved with more enemies/less allies/tinkering values of gold on one or both sides, the level of the saurians is not quite on the same level as the rest of the campaign regarding the fun and tactical side of it. I was not sure if having too much allies and few enemies was the problem there, but i can safely say now that havig no allies there and having 2 times the number of enemies would probably not change the outcome of it. More important than difficulty, the strategy on that level will always be just rotate units while standing still because the corridor is too narrow for the saurians to pose any threat.

The Great Wall
Spoiler:

Uzar the Betrayer
Spoiler:

Above the Stars and below Earth
Spoiler:
Battle of Aeons:
Spoiler:
I will put the replay of this last scenario in a new post, since i've reached the limit in here. I'll also post a general review in there. where i highlight the principal points that i think are important to be focused on to help improve the campaign.
Attachments
OA-Above_the_Stars_and_below_Earth_replay.gz
(52.99 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
OA-Uzar_the_Betrayer_replay.gz
(71.39 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
OA-The_Great_Wall_replay.gz
(73.46 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
OA-Th'arwya_replay.gz
(94.8 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
OA-Sandthorn_Pass_replay.gz
(57.3 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by ahmannar on September 3rd, 2016, 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

General Campaign Review:
Spoiler:
If you are interested in talking about something in specific i will be happy to do it, since i have done almost everything that i can think to help your campaign. Good luck with your work in here ;) .
Attachments
OA-Battle_of_the_Eons_replay.gz
(77.32 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks a lot for all your efforts and taking time for another playthrough! I will start applying the suggested changes at the end of the week/ beginning of the next week. As I don't have much time yet, I'll leave it at that for now and return to your posts when I'm working on these things. Thanks again!
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I'll gladly discuss the suggestions with you when you have the time to look at them. Meanwhile i wrote this document while my memory is fresh so that i don't forget all of the secrets, loyals and items that exist in the campaign. Since you said you wanted to write a guide for the people that wanted to see them without look at the WML, i'll post mine here in case it can be useful to you.
If eventually you write such guide, i would suggest that you put it as an option to be seen while playing the campaign itself. LoTI by dugi has something like that, where the players can see the walktrough of the campaign while playing it in case they are stuck or are just curious. It has the advantage of being more accessible to the players and hard to miss it.
Attachments
List of secrets.txt
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

That's really helpful, I'll use it as a base when writing the guide. Thanks!
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I started playing the campaign and just finished the first scenario. It seems that the gold carryover system has a problem. The objectives say that 40% of gold carried over to the net scenario but when i won the fight it showed 80% carryover instead.
Spoiler:
Is this intentional or an error ? I personally like the 40% carryover system of adding to the starting gold, but if u intended it to be 80% then i'm all for it
Last edited by Sudipta on April 1st, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

This isn't intentional. I've always thought that the gold_carryover is taken over from the [objectives] but apparently there's its own scenario level gold_carryover tag. I'll fix this, thanks for the note
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

The 40% gold carryover works fine in the next scenario though. S3 - Peril has 40% carryover just the way its intended.
Btw, i gave the item narfi dropped ( the one which reduces level up exp by 25 % ) to a loyal arif whom i plan to make a khalid. Was this wise or should i have given it to a hero instead ?
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yes, whenever there is an [endlevel]-tag used, the correct carryover bonus is applied, there's just a few scenarios with a flawed carryover bonus.
In S5 you can find a strong item that should be given to Ilriel, giving the circlet to a loyal arif is totally fine.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Kwandulin wrote:Yes, whenever there is an [endlevel]-tag used, the correct carryover bonus is applied, there's just a few scenarios with a flawed carryover bonus..
I see..Well in S4 A Whisper In The Sands, its back to 80% carryover again. :P And in S5 Six Feet Under it reverts back to 40% carryover. Seems like there's an alternating system. Haha
Kwandulin wrote:In S5 you can find a strong item that should be given to Ilriel, giving the circlet to a loyal arif is totally fine.
Are you talking about the crystal that grants an extra attack? I already gave it to Ilriel :lol: Anyway, this campaign seems to be filled with many super powerful units. The wyvern is just mighty. And there are so many loyal units, don't u think giving me 6 loyal mudafi is a bit excessive ? I hope the later scenarios will be sufficiently difficult enough to balance out this early strength.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Regarding what sudipta said about the high amount of loyal units, i think he might have a good point, as the latter scenarios can be passed with a force mostly composed of them, which also results in more gold overall. If in the end you feel like there are too many loyals given to the players, you can also make some of them non-loyal or not staying the the player more than the scenario where they are at (for example, in the "A Whisper in the Sands", part of them could stay behind in order to continue protecting the outpost) instead of just reducing their numbers or giving the same numbers of units but applying those methods. Having so much on easy is not that big of a deal but on hard, for example, there's probably more than should be there.
On the first time playing the campaign they might be very needed due to the variety of units and secrets but, upon replaying and knowing the campaign more, their value is even higher.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

So i finished the first 7 scenarios today, playing on normal difficulty. Until now, i think this is a great campaign with definite potential to be mainlined. The story line seems very intriguing and i like the appearance of the athvari and the sphere. And I love the dialogue. It seems like you took a lot of quotes from the LOTR and whenever one of them pop up, i burst out laughing. ( 1. A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night. 2. You have no might here! {you should change might to power as it is in the original} 3. Fly you fools :lol: 4.Back to Daylight! ) Using the khaliphate is also a new experience for me since i don't play multiplayer.
All this being said, i feel that the first 7 scenarios are way too easy. You have given so many loyals to the player that i don't have to recruit a single non loyal unit. I have been playing with all loyal units leading to a huge amount of gold for me due to no upkeep, and easy victories since my high level loyals make short work of the enemies. Also 20 gold is very cheap IMO for the potions, i bought quite a few of them. I feel that you should increase the difficulty of this campaign on normal whether by making loyal units non loyal, or largely increasing enemy numbers or giving less "free" units to the player.
I look forward to continuing it tomorrow.
P.S the gold carryover continues to alternate between 40% and 80%
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I found several bugs. Scenario 9 Beneath the sands ends when i killed the purple troll leader even though the objectives tell me to take dawoud to the southern border of the map.. I never saw the green troll leader but a couple of the afariyaten went his way and they must have killed him.
Also, when Nuvdael and Uthain level up the second time, i do not get the AMLA tree. Instead he gains +8 hp and +1 damage to his meleeand ranged attack. Is this a bug?
The knockback ability is bugged. Even if the attack misses the foe is still knocked back.
Last edited by Sudipta on September 4th, 2016, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.